JessB66

Silver Member
  • Last visited

Everything posted by JessB66

1. Thank you so much for the excellent suggestions. I think you are right about the bulge from the card over the wires. I think I would be satisfied with it and I can arrange furniture and decor to hide it a bit. Most of my wiring channels are ok and the wires disappear under the tape and paper. It's where I had to make a turn in the channel or stop in the middle of a piece that I had a problem. I think in the future I will cut the channels across the piece and fill the places that won't be used.
  2. I made a pair of coach lamps for my Buttercup that came out brilliantly. Hiding the wires, not so much. I did scratch in channels for the wires, but they still show. I didn"t make them deep enough. I did them with a caulk saw. It works pretty well if you don't have a Dremel with a router attachment. I secured the wires with masking tape and they show through. They will certainly show through the wallpaper. I am thinking about facing the inside walls with card to help hide the wires. Has anyone else done this? What exactly did you do and how did it come out?
  3. Merry Christmas! My name is Jessie and I am currently building a half-scale Buttercup. I wanted to try out a small-scale kit to see if I liked 1:24 scale and if the laser cut kits are a big improvement over the die cut ones. (They are, absolutely, and I don't think I would build a die cut kit again after seeing just how much better laser cut kits are.) My next project is to build a large wall house (10 rooms) in 1:16 scale to house my collection of Calico Critters and their furniture and accessories. They are so cute! I am planning to build out of foamcore, because I live in an apartment. I love to make miniatures and design my own dollhouses. Yesterday I made coach lights and ceiling lights for my Buttercup. I once made a big house with a 2 story front porch out of cardboard and lengths of basswood. In addition to dollhouses, I enjoy playing Sims 4, especially the building and decorating aspects of the game. I just got started in Stardew Valley and I enjoy that, too. I have a dog I love a whole lot named Evie. Evie and I moved to the San Diego area recently. I would like to meet people here who have interests in common. I am lucky to have a miniature shop locally in San Diego. I am planning a trip early next month for finishing supplies for my Buttercup. I am planning to furnish it with Greenleaf kits. I haven't found figures yet. I saw some pretty dolls on Etsy, but I am not sure I can afford them.
  4. Hi there, my name is Jessie and I am currently building a half-scale Buttercup. I wanted to try out a small-scale kit to see if I liked 1:24 scale and if the laser cut kits are a big improvement over the die cut ones. (They are, absolutely, and I don't think I would build a die cut kit again after seeing just how much better laser cut kits are.) My next project is to build a large wall house (10 rooms) in 1:16 scale to house my collection of Calico Critters and their furniture and accessories. The are so cute! I am planning to build out of foamcore, because I live in an apartment. I love to make miniatures and design my own dollhouses. Today I made coach lights and ceiling lights for my Buttercup. I once made a big house with a 2 story front porch out of cardboard and lengths of basswood. In addition to dollhouses, I enjoy playing Sims 4, especially the building and decorating aspects of the game. I just got started in Stardew Valley and I enjoy that, too. I have a dog I love a whole lot named Evie. Evie and I just moved to the San Diego area recently. I would like to meet people here who have interests in common.
  5. Does anyone have any experience lighting a dollhouse made of Foamcore? I am trying to decide among 3 volt LED systems, and round wire or tape wire. Also the house will be 1:16 scale. It's a 3 story, 10 room wall house of my own design. Has anyone built a large project in Foamcore? Is the 3/16th thick, readily available Foamcore adequate, or do I need to track down the 1/2 inch stuff? Or how about a double thickness? I would really love to here from someone who has actually worked with Foamcore, not just conjecture. I live in an apartment so cutting out a house out of plywood is not practical. I have prior experience building kits and with the different wiring systems. I have also made a large house out of double thick cardboard before. I haven't ruled out cardboard as a building material, I just thought Foamcore might be more durable and nicer to work with.