Antigona

Silver Member
  • Last visited

Everything posted by Antigona

1. Hi bdoerr, as Holly said send me a private with your gmail and I gladly send you the schematics!! I'm trying to edit my message but I can't in phone, will try at computer Big hugs to everybody!
  2. Antigona

Poppy diorama.jpg

this is amazing!!
  3. Sent it!! Lemme know if you can open the files correcly. Have fun!
  4. Hi! I have them. I can't attach here as they are too large, give me an e-mail and I send them straight away :)!
  5. A friend of me does also Aura-Soma! When I saw the picture I couldn't believe it (because it's kinda rare), it's so cute!
  6. UPDATE: I got them! Shannon was super kind and scanned them for me. Thank you very much!!!
  7. Hi! I'm sorry for double posting but yet I had no luck. I still don't have the schematics drawings for my willowcrest ;_; I mailed Greenleaf 2 times for this issue, called them yesterday (probably the gentleman freaked out with the spaniard way of raise the voice when you want to be understood even if you are not bothered in any way :lol:), but still don't have it (busy times?) One user was kind enough to contact me but for any reason (maybe time, big pdf or so) she couldn't get it to me Pleeeeease can someone send it to me? I could find the instructions or warm up sheet on the internet but not the schematics ;_; *Desperates in spanish* Thank youuu
  8. Thank you very much!! ;_; I already mailed them, specially for the schematics (will check once I have them if there is any sheet I can't really use). Thank you very much and have a good day! (I'm going to sleep now, lol!)
  9. Hi! I just unpackaged my new Willowcrest kit and I discovered some sheets look pretty old and in a bad shape .. but worst of it is that it doesn't come with the schematics page. Does anyone have this schematics? What can I do if I find a sheet I can't really work with? Thank you very much
  10. Something Marie Kondo would enjoy lol!! I also save all magazines I ever buy!
  11. I guess it's because kids get tired of toys faster than before (because they can own more toys too)... Maybe is that dollhouses in the past where like an all-life present and right now most parents doesn't want to spend money on a good handmade dollhouse. If it's for child-playing probably they prefer a plastic dollhouse that will last 1-2 years and then buy another thing... It makes me sad thinking about it, but on the other side I think it's special to give a child an all-life dollhouse! (or gifting an adult with it lol I would enjoy it!!)
  12. Thanks for sharing! I am super curious about the ready-made dollhouse selling. I guess they are OOAK and also have the artist special touch :)
  13. I work both of them, as Holly said sometimes is difficult to end one part without having the other done!
  14. Hi! I'm half way on the construction of my first dollhouse, a Fairfield! For my surprise, a lot of family and friends are curious about it and some of them even asked me if I would sell it once it's done. I'm not planing on selling it (it's lots of effort, it's not perfect and most important it's my first experience!), but it got me thinking. I don't know much about dollhouse community (as I only related myself with miniatures or dolls), so I wonder if anybody does build a dollhouse and then sells it. Would anybody buy a ready-made house, missing the experience of building and decorating themselves, as an art project or as a family project? I was thinking that maybe "pro" dollhouse makers build OOAK dollhouses, and make them with very expensive materials (like real gold) and sell it to wealthy families. What do you think? Did you ever sold one of your dollhouses?
  15. Welcome to the forum!! Nice dollhouse you chose!
  16. Thanks for all responses! That's a tragedy over here. Glad you told me they are slow at shipping because I'm so anxious (in a good way) to see my hoise done I would panic! thank you!!
  17. It's so sad that this happens. Actually what I enjoy most when following a general account (like: dollhouse stuff) is checking on every artist that is credited for their work. It's disgusting to see people or business taking other people work and using it for their own publicity
  18. Thanks for your response! I think I prefer to buy them as Deb said, since making a crowned shape with cardboard may be too difficult,,, Will take a look on Triffle Small. Thank youuu!
  19. Hi!! It's been almost two weeks since I ordered my first dollhouse and I already recieved it and dry fitted yay! Right now I'm dissasembling everything as I decide any modifications on rooms and so on. But I need some help on moldings. I already have some wallpapers ready to print, but I would like to know where can I buy 1:24 moldings? All I can find (at least near me) are 1:12 moldings (crown molded or simple). Do you have any idea and tips? Thank you!
  20. Thanks everybody! I'm pretty sure a wood burning tool would do the work as well, but maybe it would get dirt from the melted foam. I always use a mask like graffitti mask (for spray fumes). Thanks for the source Kathie!
  21. Thank you! I want to point out that when using the soldering iron is better to be on an open area or well ventilated room (as well as wearing a mask if possible), because the fumes are (probably) toxic (and also they smell funny!).
  22. Hi! If you check the newcomers area, you may know I'm still waiting on my Greenleaf Dollhouse. But I'm learning so much thanks to this wonderful forum so I thought I would pay back with a tutorial. I'm not sure if this has been already done as I didn't find it but I guess it won't hurt another tutorial I'm gonna show you how to make stone walls using extruded polystyrene. Sorry for my english and my meters (lol), but I'll do my best! In case you don't know (or use other name), this is extruded polystyrene. It's a material used in construction for thermal isolation, and it's pretty cheap (around 3€ per m2) However I use it for other purposes. On my country is pretty common to build up a Nativitiy scene on Christmas, and I made already three for my workplace. I'm not a religious person but I do enjoy good constructions and specially to build the town part! That's why I feel brave enough to try to show you. Sadly I don't have any process pictures (as I was not expecting to make a tutorial), but I'll be as clear as possible. This is the final result I want you to achieve: For more pictures of the final result you can check my Flickr: https://bit.ly/2uz6A6c Ok, let's start! First, the materials and tools we are gonna need: -Extruded polystyrene (please note that this is thicker than porexpan or foam) -Regular cuter (or even a knife). In this case I wouldn't use Xacto Knife as the poly is probably 3-4 cm deep. -Newspapers or pattern paper (for the initial draw). -Pencil and pen -Rules -Scissors -Soldering Iron (even the cheapest will do) -Sand paper (I think same as the sanding paper for wood dollhouses will do! The grain doesn't have to be too big neither too small. If it's too big it will drag away all the material). -Toothpicks -Acrylics (at least two colors) -Brushes Step 1: sketch the building you are gonna make and draw the plans (blueprint?) on the newspapers. Normally in romanesque architecture buildings tend to be simple, it's not like gothic architecture (specially in rural areas). Please have in mind the measure of "deep" of the poly when planing the plans so everything fits together. Step 2: when your plans are done, you can transfer them to the poly. I would recommend not to use markers or similar stuff because they may not stick to the shiny surface and you will get all painted (your body and the poly), and then you'll feel ashamed scrubbing yourself with acetone or alcohol. For cuting all the wall parts you have to use a cuter or a knife. Don't worry if you make a notch, there's more work to do. Step 3: before puting the pieces together, we will prepare the stones (like puting the wallpaper on the dollhouse before assembling, right?). For drawing the stones we are going to use the soldering iron. You can draw the stones with a pencil if you want to, you can design bricks, big rounded stones, unequal stones, something we call "fishbone" (when there are big stones on the corners of the building). Check that the edges between walls are gonna match. Now, pacience. Take the soldering iron (warm) and start drawing the stones. It's ok if it's not perfect, we are gonna work it later. Don't make much pressure or you will basically make a big hole (you could put moss on it, or a little mice if you mess up, so don't worry). If you see that the soldering iron is too hot, I recommend to turn it down and start back later, so we prevent the poly from melting. Step 4: when all the walls are iron-draw, it's time to take the sand paper. With some care it's time to round all the edges we've made with the soldering; also it's interesting to sand a bit all over it. First, because the paint will have a hard time sticking to the shiny surface, second because it gives some realism to this true old stones. Now it's the time to put some effort on all the things we could've messed before. You can see on my picture I don't do it perfect (plus we collab with some of the users from my work, those lovely elders), but I think it's part of the beauty of the stone to be a bit rough. Step 5: when everything is already prepared, it's time to paint. Now you have to paint with the DARKEST color, puting special attention to the spaces between stones. I do not use primer before this first layer because the sanded surface absorbs paint perfectly. Once this layer is dry, it's time to apply the real color we want on the building. I apply this paint using a big brush with big hairs and all on a fast way (so I avoid the new color geting inside the spaces of darker colors). Of course you can be all perfectionist if you want! Once everything is dry I like to mix different colors on fast brush strokes; green, red, yellow... You will be able to make more details and give more realism after it's assembled so it's ok if you want to assemble it first (or add more details then!). Step 6: time to assemble the creation! In my case, as this scene is only for Christmas, I never glued it. I use toothpicks! Just pinch some of them on the borders of the walls and press them together. I press the houses also on the floor, and that way we can just disassemble it for storage and assemble it back one year later. In case you want to glue it (because maybe you are using is as a basement, or making a little fountain), keep in mind to use a glue that is not agressive with porexpan (a special foam glue). Step 7: once it's assembled, is time for adding details. If you are planning on make a dollhouse inside, you can work on it. Here's a little bakery and a blacksmith workshop I made; And we are done! Some considerations to have: -This bulding is 1:24 kind, and you can see the rock is so rough. I don't think great detail can be achieved with this method (but maybe with another technique, as the poly sands very nice). -If it's the first time you sculpt something like bricks, I would suggest to draw some patterns first on a paper. It's very important to know what pattern we want on the stones for end up with a realistic result. -I'm not an expert on lighting dollhouses (in fact we use fairy lights / Christmas for this), but I think it's worth to think it twice before puting some bulb that will get warm. The poly will melt if exposed to hot! -It may look (or feel) that you need to be so detailed and aware, but I discovered (at least in my case) is best to go wild on the cuting and ironing part, and more careful on the sanding part. Don't get frustrated trying to get perfection on early stages because poly is a material that needs some work. That's it! it's not perfect but I hope you ejoyed it. I will be glad to answer any questions you may have. Thanks for reading!
  23. Hi everybody! I read some tips about cleaning the dollhouses but, what about maintaining it as clean as possible? My issue is that I live on a big city, and the amount of dust entering through the windows is overwhelming. I keep my dolls inside glass cabinets and still they get dusty. So, is there any tip on storage of a dollhouse, or something that could help me avoid as much as possible this 24/7 dust? Even in the phase of construction everything can get so messy if it gets dusty (and also I have a dog so hairs are ensured!). Dollhouses are too big for glass cabinets, but if I cover them with a cloth I won't be able to enjoy it when it's done... Thank you very much!