MJ Dixon

Silver Member
  • Last visited

Everything posted by MJ Dixon

1. Thank you. If you're going to try soldering, get a metal Thing-a-ma Jig. If for no other reason than it hold all your pieces in place.
  2. Yes, I made the bed. I dont like the way off the shelf furniture looks off to me. Its copper wire, shaped and then soldered. Primed and airbrushed silver. I'm working on the bedding now. But I'm very happy with it. I'll try to post a final picture today.
  3. Here's what I've been working on this week. Keep in mind this is supposed to be sort of creepy. So I figured out the curtain situation. The stove has a flickering light in it. And the bed isnt done yet.
  4. Here's one... https://norfolk.craigslist.org/tag/d/virginia-beach-dollhouse-unfinished/6964604818.html If my husband hadn't just flipped a nut about spending I would buy this for the parts and pieces.
  5. That is exactly what I was thinking about when I built it!
  6. Figuring out how to solder was the hard part. After that it was easy. It's actually copper wire, hammered flat, shaped and soldered. Then painted with a metallic black paint. Made the stone porch out of sculpy then drilled tiny holes for the railing to mount in.
  7. So... this is my first dollhouse and the one I am currently working on. I joined this group once the house was already built, so no process pictures. But I took some today of where it stands now. I've made a bunch of mods. So if you have any questions, feel free to ask. And yes, I did clip the corners on every one of those shingles.
  8. So... this is my first dollhouse and the one I am currently working on. I joined this group once the house was already built, so no process pictures. But I took some today of where it stands now. I've made a bunch of mods. So if you have any questions, feel free to ask. And yes, I did clip the corners on every one of those shingles.
  9. Or maybe wood beams that run across the ceiling. Maybe something as hard as oak would help.
  10. I've seen the pleated curtains, and I just wasnt thinking I wanted anything so defined. I'll post a picture when I get them hung, so you can see what I mean.
  11. I love all of this. I foolishly tried to weave a rug for my dolls house and it did not go well. Then I thought about cross stitch, but I can't find the backer fabric small enough to not look bulky. What size should I be looking for?
  12. So, I used to own a seamstress business. "Curtains will be an easy thing", I told myself. I figured I'd need a lightweight fabric, that hung well. Put my hand on every bolt of fabric at Joann. I decided on some high end lining. Super thin, tight weave, but enough weight to hang. Grrr. So I think I've got window in 2 rooms figured out. And now I think the others will just get swags or valances. And for the attic, since its Addams Family inspired, boards across the windows! There, problem solved.
  13. This is a work in progress, but you can see what I'm trying to do here.
  14. It's a really fun tool. I have a bunch of accessories to go with it, simply to make my life easier.
  15. I am no expert in wood shop, but know enough to get by. I built our bed, and living room table set. Luckily I have all the tools, table saw, scroll saw, compound miter saw, jig saw. Jeez, I have a lot of saws lol. Plus Sanders, router, drill press, etc. So it stands to reason I should be able to build my own.
  16. Anyone here use a dremel to carve wood for mini furniture? I've been playing around with this but I'm not real happy. The furry bits are making me nuts. When it's that small I cant get sandpaper in there to clean it up. I've tried different bits, but I'm winding what you use. Or if there is a better too than dremel? -MJ
  17. Ok, dumb question, but what is a set square?
  18. Yeah I can see the addiction. I won't buy another kit. I have all of the power tools to make my own. I only started with the kit because I had no clue where to start. I am 100% confident I can build a huge one no problem. I did mod this kit right out of the box. Added another door and couple window holes. Built a custom staircase, because the provided ones look like playskol toys. I have managed, with wallpaper and strategically placed trim to mask all the problem areas. Again, thanks for the welcome. I'm enjoying looking at all the galleries.
  19. Thanks for the welcome. I got the Real Good Toys Victorian Painted Lady. I'm not too happy with the kit. The way this was milled, things don't fit the way they should. But here's the twist, I'm doing an Addams Family inspired build. So tiny gaps probably add to the effect. That's what I'm telling myself anyway.
  20. Hello everyone. My name is MJ, and I have been working on my very first dollhouse. I always wanted one as a child. My little sister got 2, I never did. So at 40+ years old I bought the biggest kit i could find locally and got to work. I'm happy to find you guys. No one understands or appreciates the complexity or details I've put into this thing already. I think it will be nice to talk to like minded people .