wonderwizzy

Gold Member
  • Last visited

0 Neutral

About wonderwizzy

Profile Information

• Interests
    Lifelong dollhouser. I'm interested in everything small, and prefer to make than buy.
    Dolls - handmade and antique.
    Dollhouses 1:10, 1:24

Retained

• Member Title
    Wizzy

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    Five or more
  • Country
    United Kingdom
  1. Wow! Sounds like your area has really got a handle on how to organize donations - I'm totally impressed. I wish Oklahoma City could get itself that organized - it's an enormous waste of volunteer time to have to sort through people's trash. Wizzy
  2. My Request for Donation "Etiquette" Having walked away from the 1999 Oklahoma F5 tornado with only the clothes on our backs, our family is beggin anyone plannning to donate items like clothing and toys... PLEASE make sure that the items are sparkling clean, unbroken, age/size appropriate (and brand new where appropriate - underwear, socks, toiletries.) This is how you can show that you really and truly care about these folks and respect what they're going through. If you can, please take the time to freshly launder and press clothes before donating so that people can put them on and feel human again. Self esteem is extraordinarily fragile when a family has faced death, lost all possessions and resources, been ignored by authorities and then relocated to a strange place. I can personally vouch to you all that having half used tubes of toothpaste and the remnants of someone's garage sale thrust upon you with the attitude that you should be grateful is not a healing experience. I can't imagine that anyone in this group would be that thoughtless and unimaginative, but perhaps you could spread the word among your other groups, friends, churches etc. thank you thank you thank you, Wizzy
  3. Nutti - Ace Hardware will cut plywood for you for a small fee per cut. If you're building a basement, wood or mdf will be stronger than foamcore. Wizzy
  4. YUP! I'm with you on that one. I've only sliced the end of my thumb off once... and the house turned out just fine, lol. I'm having a duh moment with my school floor. Drilled a hole for a lighting cord, it was too far out, so I drilled another one, still too far out, drilled two more and then realized that it probably doesn't need to be wired anyway - aaaaaaaaaaaarg! Lotsa holes in a floor paper that I special ordered from England. Humph! Wizzy
  5. I like any room that's very small - you can cram in the detail and focus visual attention nicely. The only large room that I particularly enjoy doing is a traditional children's day nursery Wizzy
  6. Dunno about the slot/tab house windows but I do believe there is a Murphy bed kit out there. Someone on ebay sells them along with closet kits and folding attic stair kits wizzy
  7. Hi Tammy - What a lot of work those darn stairs put you through just to topple down. Looks like you made the wisest decision with the new curved stairs - they look great. I love the personal touches like the photo of grandpa and the doll with the name that you wanted for your daughter (I also have a doll with the name I wanted for my daughter - I was smarter when our son came along and made sure he got the name I wanted heeeheee) I looked through your Coventry Cottage album too and wondered if you could share with us what information you got from your experiments with different primers and sealers?? Wizzy
  8. I agree that the Coventry is more cottagey - and definitely it's quick to fill. And what about the Primrose? It's plainer than most of the designs, but it's definitely easy to build and is cottage size - it would be small enough that you could afford to add a slightly larger base and a little garden.... maybe a beehive? Wizzy
  9. I like the Coventry Cottage for a theme house too. I built mine as a Christmas House, but I think any of the small houses would go well with the fairy tale - they all have cute designs and an abundance of trim. I think you're sensible to start small and get a feel for kit building. Wizzy
  10. LOL! It was so terrifying that I never called them to let them know when the room was finished so they could come back and film again! The $1000 was very nice, and allowed me to splash out on the lovely halogen lights and buy good quality paint and brushes. I agree about the coffee. I'm on the last of my 10 cup caraffe breakfast and just about ready to zing into action. Wizzy
  11. Yes I have a sign too. It says DID YOU KNOCK????? Everyone just wanders in otherwise and it's inevitable that I'll be doing something reeeeeeally delicate just when they walk in (usually asking what's for dinner!) Wizzy
  12. Thank you! Yup. My brush with fame. I won $1000 Home Depot gift card for renovating a room through a local tv contest and a "consult" with Frank was part of the deal - we did a live broadcast on the local breakfast show... I was terrified! I didn't use any of his ideas, but it really was an interesting experience and my hat is off to people who do live tv every day. I love my studio now it's all painted - without the gift card it would've been the last room in the house to get decorated. It's hard to drag me out of there sometimes Wizzy
  13. awesome!!! The house is lovely and it really deserves the lighting to highlight all the nice finishing details you've worked hard on. It's such a thrill to turn on lights! Wizzy
  14. Cat, I loaded up some photos of my studio into my webshots. http://community.webshots.com/album/421602560PKJQBf I've got a large worktable at each end of the room, one end is for sewing and "clean" crafts, the other end is where my scrollsaw and paints are. I installed halogen track lights and some shelving. Counter height power points would be useful, but I manage without. I have discovered that the more horizontal space I have, the more things I leave out :lol: Hope this helps in your planning. Wizzy
  15. Very well put together and pretty! It's nice when the house, interior and exterior and base all come together and look like they're meant to be together :lol: Wizzy