mininecessities

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Posts posted by mininecessities

1. I hope this doesn't sound diabolical but when I was a child, I use to fantasize about having these tiny little (yeah about 1:12 scale) alive people. I have no idea where it came from, some movie perhaps? ( Perhaps it was when I wanted a doll called Wendy Walker, which my parents couldn't afford) Of couse pulling myself back to reality I knew that was impossible. I didn't even know there was such a thing as scale miniatures other than the model railroad my dad and brother had which I loved soooo much!

My next exposure was as a young woman selling Avon. A lady invited me into her house and showed me the most awesome dollhouse, complete with furniture, lights, people. I was

in a trance looking at it. Leaving her house, I knew it must be a very expensive thing to aquire so I tried to forget about it.

The next, was a few years later I saw an ad for House of Miniatures............it was like a plan you could join to collect them. I started collecting them but for some reason I never put one together. Being a perfectionist I just didn't know if I could do it right. Had to move one time, and sold them to help get money to move on. Later through the years I picked a couple kits up at yard sales as I was sad to have given up that collection. Even though I had never found the time to put one together I think just the intrigue of seeing all those little pieces in the box was all I needed.

My first house was from a plan book, and for a long time I didn't even know you could buy pre made miniatures or parts to make them. As everyone else says..........the rest was history.

Cheryl

2. those are wonderful!! cute faces and wonderfully made outfits!!

Made a couple of magical little creatures, ones an elf (rather a Dickensian sort of elf) called Cornelius Spindleshanks and the other is a dwarf called Samuel Snuckleweed and despite being very different they are the best of friends (they also buy their socks from the same shop)

3. For some reason reading the thread about Painted Floors (great idea by the way, love it!) reminded me of an idea I saw once for a Real Life kitchen counter. for a person who can't afford to have their counter re done.:huh:

They tore up odd shapes of brown grocery bag paper and glued them down then used mod podge or policrylic. You could also use heavy brown packaging paper. I thought of doing it but worried about the cost of the mod podge or other to seal it............as you would need lots of coats. but cheap for a dollhouse (I have an old 50's counter with the metal strip in my RL house. ugh!)

I thought it looked awesome. Of course it is not the right surface for a counter, you would need to use chopping boards etc ............but in a dollhouse that wouldn't matter. Would look for the link but this was years ago.

The brown paper was torn in odd shapes (tear, don't cut) oh about the size of a coffee cup saucer. The torn edges gave it a pattern. oh wait yea be sure to re size that to 1:12 scale lol.............

it really did look neat. Perhaps someone could try it on a scrap piece and see if they like it.

just sharing

Cheryl

4. I am anxious to see your pics Mary. I believe there is thread with Gallery instruction. I think what you do is click on the down arrow by your user name in the upper right corner, and a drop down menu comes up. click on the bottom one "My Gallery" Not sure what yours will look like with no album yet, but there should be a place somewhere that says "upload" click on that, then it will ask you to name your album, I already have albums so not sure exactly how yours will look, but when you make your new album, but you should come to a place that says

"Click to Attach Files" a window should come up that has a list of stuff on your computer. Find the right folder , open them and upload. You will of course First need to have your pics in a folder on your comp;. Don't reduce the size alot or they will come up too small. better to have them fairly big as the forum will adjust the size for you.

If I were you I would make a sample album, just upload one pic and see how it works. I usually learn by doing.

I will try to check back and see if you tried this and or what problem you ran into and try to help you!

It isn't hard at all once you do a few pics!

Cheryl

I didn't want to use that corner shelf thing in the diningroom so I cut it up and glued two pieces of wood on either side. It arches a bit along the staircase but it makes a nice table thing in the hallway. I did find a narrow piece of wood in my scraps so I painted that and put that in between hall and dining room. Just gives it some definition. I didn't like the paper running into each other, it just looked weird. I have got to figure out how to get pictures on here.

5. That is totally awesome! The items all look like Typical garage sale stuff you would find! and is that the mail lady buying a dollhouse on her work shift? lol so cool!

I want to make one now..............someday.......

Cheryl

6. thanks! that is agreat idea to partition those off. I had a hard time figuring out just where to stop the wallpaper going from the dining room to the hall..........it looked funny to just stop and put a different one in the middle of the wall........so I ran the wallpaper to the corner but now wish I hadn't as it doesnt match the l room or the other side of the wall. perhaps one day I will partition also and just recover the whole hallway a design all it's own!

Your house is fantastic!! I made a partition for the livingroom/hall. I didn't like it on flowing into the other. I'm trying to find something to separate the hall/diningroom but that is a tight spot.

7. Yeah I just got to thinking, I too meant the plastic part............and was hoping that is what she meant lol :unsure:

Are you talking specifically about the plastic "glass"? I glued mine on the inside, then the frame over it...and of course there's a frame over the outside windows, too.

8. I pretty much agree with you! It is not our business really. There are those who buy a hot retail item when on sale then at xmas they raise the price and re sell it to make money. Nothing wrong with it. They may have gone to much trouble to go find that item and now can provide it to someone who didn't have time or no desire to go seeking it on sale. It is work to sell on ebay...........and the fees are horrible. Some call it feebay lol and also just thinking...........some people love to buy vintage stuff............it is just the idea of it and it probably is different. she is selling a definate vintage item even though they still make them. The still make My Little Pony's but the vintage ones bring much much more. so that is something to think about. same with Strawberry Shortcake etc. People in sales ARE providing a service but most of us love to buy but hate to be sold to lol

My opinion is strictly 'buyer beware'. I don't think any of us has the right to question WHY she is selling the kit at this price. At this time of year especially, there are alot of people who rush around looking for something different to purchase as a gift and really don't mind paying the price some sellers are asking. The seller also may not have done her research and that's her perogative. I hope she sells the kit, it may be the only holiday money she'll have.

9. It sounds pretty high..............what do they retail for? perhaps she thought she had a discontinued vintage house and was worth that........ or perhaps she was trying to pull one over.

about the other persons shipping problem, the lady should have been willing to ship it Fed Ex or UPS. any big item needs to be shipped that way. perhaps she quoted you USPS priority

I think it is ok to charge a handling fee to cover cost of boxes, bubble wrap, tape, gas to mail it...........maybe some time if it takes all day to package lol. Most retail businesses add a handling fee unless they are making mega profit on the item.

With me, I make so little an hour on my handmade items, that I charge a little extra for the above costs. it is hard, when you figure almost 20% loss in ebay and paypal fees and the above expenses, to take that off your 2.00 an hour lol.............

but yeah she was overcharging it looks like. Just keep shopping. Personally I like to buy my houses at local auctions or yard sales ..........but if it is one I really want will pay retail and reasonable shipping. Some ebayers still way over charge on shipping to make up for fees, or if they price the item so low, to get bids, then still make their money. I don't like to buy from them as to start it is dishonest, also people on ebay use to do that to save on final value fees. put most of the money in shipping and list the item too cheap but ebay tried to put a stop to it..........so now they charge everyone final value fees on the shipping $ we take in.

Cheryl

oh check out peoples feedback before buying (taking into consideration some buyers are just in a bad mood lol) here is a tool you can use to get all neutral and neg feedbacks way way back and not just the one year ebay shows.

http://toolhaus.org/

10. Hang in there ! We have all done that been there........and I still am! What worked for me for my walls was to use fabric...........use Wonder Under (double sided fusible web) and attach it to card stock. Be sure to put the wonder under on the fabric first, peel, then iron onto the card stock. then I used wallpaper paste Worked great. I also made patterns of complicated walls by taping little pieces of paper over the area, getting into all the corners etc, remove and use as a pattern. With fabric for wall covering, after you paste it to the wall, you can use masking tape around the edges to hold those pesky areas down while it dries, inside the house, you can just crease the tape in the edges really helps. One thing you might consider for your first house is find something very simple to learn what works best for y ou first.

hang in there and keep trying. It will work. you can also do a search on these forums ............and look for posts with your questions on it!

Cheryl

t

I tried to do a cottage I picked up at a swap meet, but I really didn't have much luck. I joined to watch the chatter here in case I caught good tips on this and that. Right now I'm just making stuff for rooms in the hopes that someday I'll mess up less :( The inside was too complicated I think. Strange angles all over the place, oddball interior. I tried wallpaping it and it looked awful! Ugh. I'm not too good right now at whole house interiors. I tried real wallpaper glue and it just didnt' work well no matter what I did. I'm too much of a novice right now. I do fine with small projects, and enjoy making things for the inside of the houses. Perhaps I should just give up the dream and focus on that.

11. Yeah if I ever stab myself with that baby , a bandaid won't do any good. I sometimes worry about tripping while using it as I stand up to work. And the plastic shavings make the floor slick........oh my oh my

Wow, Cheryl, you could get a great "OWIE!" from that one! For first aid in the shop I don't recommend bandaids as much as I recommend wound cleaning (peroxide, povidine) & pressure dressing materials (Tissues, gauze and tape; duct tape sounds perfect!), since the first order of business is to kill germs, remove "stuff" and stop bleeding; then you have the leisure to fool with bandaids. The new workshop will also include a sink.

12. I will be in Seattle WA the weekend of the 16th. Does anyone know of any miniature shops there? I live in a small town in Idaho and we have nothing. there use to be one across the border but they closed up. I like to buy on ebay but it would be so fun to actually go into one of the shops again! Of course I will do a search but just thought someone may know off hand.

13. I've lost count of all the times I've sliced my fingers with an exacto blade. There's a YouTube video of me working on the B&B out there somewhere and I could only watch it once. The exacto in my hand came so close to leaving a mark so many times even I got nervous watching it. The worst hand injury I've had was caused by a drill press. I was drilling holes into aluminum mounting plates at a sign shop when the drill bit caught the plate, turning it into an open blender. In the split second it took to yank my hand out of the way the plate had sliced my thumb 6 times. Of course none of those slips were more than superficial cuts. Nothing like a needle through the finger or loosing one.

My lungs also have a little damage from my time working at a company building life-size replicas. One of the chemical agents was known for producing fumes that dissolved respirator filters. It also turned rubber gloves into smoking foam within 4 minutes. I was coughing up blood for several days after using that stuff to paint some artifical jungle vines. That job was fun, but definitely not worth the wages.

My first aid kit is a roll of duct tape and a bottle of tylenol. Duct tape is the best band-aid / alternative to stitches.

That's good to have a first aid kit handy! I always just figure I won't hurt myself then when I do it is a race to find the bandaids!! I use my drill press alot when making the lucite jewelry..........so far no problems. I do use a tapered drill to carve in my dremel and it is a sharp point like ice pic..........I use to carve like my dad did, simply holding the lucite in one hand and carving with the other, but he sculpted his own steel bits............the ones I have been able to buy have a different pattern and when the drill accidently went clear through a few times it spun the sharp edged plastic around and cut my hand up. I finally started putting my lucite in a vise. I don't have the same movement but I am scared chitless now lol

The drill can also slip off the edge before going in and injuring your hand. that thing looks so deadly going 30,000 rpms. I use to carve out in my garage late at night and felt safe,.

No one would ever consider coming near me with that in my hand! lol I hope I don't do what one person here did with the exacto and stab myself anywhere. I am pretty careful though I do make mistakes now and then.

I bet that plate could have done more damage had you not yanked your hand away. I worry about getting older and my repsonses slowing down.

I guess we have to be nuts to do this stuff. There are other things I can do to make money but I keep on working with the cast lucite. It says on the paper that when heated it releases very toxic fumes........duh......it gets very hot when you carve it and bevel it. and we keep sucking up the chemicals.........lol

ya know I guess polymer clay is pretty toxic also.

yikes..............the fumes would dissolve respirator filters? oh my I can guess what it did to your precious lung tissue!!

Thanks for the idea of duct tape to hold a wound together! cheaper than going and getting stitches lol

here is apic of the bit I use...........going 30,000 rpm's

post-12113-0-85135100-1322812594_thumb.j

14. You sound like me..........you buy all this stuff to get organized..........then end up with a mess anyway LOL............I use to try and label things but usually it doesnt get put back in the right drawer or tote anyway lol

As the saying goes,,,,,,,,,,,why do today what you can put off till tomorrow!!

I use a variety of the drawer units to house miniature, sewing, beading, and all my other crafts.

They are always a mess and overflowing.

I have some of the kind that can use the wheels, in various widths that slide under my worktables as well as stack on top of the tables.

I also installed movable shelves up one wall to make use of the height of the room.

I also use the large covered tubs to separate miniature furniture and accessories types that are just waiting for their houses to be built.

Technically, I have a sewing room, a studio and a woodshop but it's really hard to tell the difference of any of them right now. Ha ha ha !!

They are all just gigantic messes.

Sorting and cleaning can wait for tomorrow ....

15. Maybe I will come up with something one of these days. My trouble is the way I finish the edges. I bevel then hand sand through about 8 different grits of wet n dry sandpaper........clear to 2000 Grit. I can do that by laying it on a foam and running the edges back and forth on each grit. When you have curved edges, it is much harder to do, more time consuming. you can flame polish but the sanding has to be done first anyway. Molding clear cast resin is an idea. it is carvable, very much so. what I use my dad use to buy it in big sheets which you can dtill buy that way. I am not good at casting resin either lol

perhaps I will start with a lamp and maybe will go on to something else. My trouble is my long term exposure to the plastic dust. I use to sleep under my dads work table when I was little, grew up around it now have been carving myself for over 20 years and it is toxic, I also use Acetone and Methylene Chloride...........ouch. Hope I live for a while LOL

I remember the chairs were bent, but would you carve or turn the table legs? And I guess that sideboards, etc, would be cut & glued... I think there might be a market for it; right now I'm visualizing a lucite diningroom in something like the Brookwood, set with Fiestaware.

16. you are famous yes indeed! You have alot to be proud of! amazing.

just had another thought about dolls, you never see Oriental dolls. Or at least I don't. Wouldnt it be fun to make a chinese restaurant? I worked in many of them throughout the years.

Had one cook who use to shake his clever at us when he was mad lol

I have a bunch of Nutshell News I bought one time. Can't wait to make some of the stuff in there. oh that is what I need to do soon, get my subscription to Dollhouse Miniatures again., sure miss it..........

anyway glad you shared with us Wolfie...........and congrats on finding Laura a home so fast!

Cheryl

Thank you all! I appreciate your input and will definitely add it to my list that has been generated by my survey! I appreciate your time in thinking good ideas. Laura - the doll - has now gone to her new home as of today as she is now sold. Now onward to make another fun older person!

Yes, I used to send my dolls to Showcase of Miniatures, Nutshell News, Dollhouse Miniatures long ago.....and you can find some of my dolls in American Miniaurists magazine now and again. I guess you might say I've been published, oh yes, and once long ago 12 of my dolls were featured in Miniature Collector magazine in the UK. My dolls were also shown in articles in Dolls in Miniature magazine - now defunct! NOT MY FAULT!!!!! LOL And a few of them were covergirls in the past.

17. Cheryl, have you considered carving mini Lucite furniture? I'm thinking of some of the retro pieces like the diningroom furniture that was popular in the '60s & '70s...

I have considered it but not sure what I would Carve into it. Most of the Eames Era were cast in a curved mold............and most weren't internally carved. The vintage lucite I use

is getting scarcer for me......ie I mostly have small pieces. So much of what I do have the paper has been on it for 50 years and yes I have tried everything.....including goo be gone.

I have some strips left that could be used. I can order new cast lucite by the sheet but just haven't. The only thing I can think of is lamps as they use to carve those I think. Here is an example of what I do below. I just can't think of anything I will try the furniture sometime maybe. I have a tool for bending the lucite but have never used it. I do florals too so perhaps just a small paperweight type thing? I did do a coffee table and end tables once and carved roses in them. just white that would look pretty in Shabby Chic houses wouldnt it? now there is an idea! Thanks for your suggestions............gets my creative thoughts rolling!

post-12113-0-80065500-1322751771_thumb.j

post-12113-0-70653000-1322751795_thumb.j