tilliejam62

Gold Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by tilliejam62

1. I really, really surprised myself with making the store signs with the sticker paper for the very first time (and most likely the last time LOL), all by myself. It's not perfect but they will do and is going in both windows of the country store. I suppose you'll have to wait on the photos showing my accomplishments cause I cannot seem to resize them small enough to post here so I will wait to post the new photos when I'm completely done with the storefront.
  2. Cynthia: Thank you for your words of commendation. I am trying to teach myself so I expect to make mistakes big time but I hope not too many where I use up all the sticker paper (that stuff is expensive!!!) LOL The outside of the store is actually a two-opening 5" X 7" picture frame from a store called Tuesday Morning. The interior of the store is a wooden box I had someone make for me that matched the measurements of the picture frame box. I used tiny brass hinges to attach them and to be able to open and close the box. Both the interior & the exterior of the store are about 3 inches deep inside. I made the watermelons from real pecans (the nut) & 2 different colors of green acrylic paints. The lights are working lights, except the flashing, "OPEN" lights are battery operated. Only one blinking "OPEN" light of the 2 is shown as one has to be repaired. (photos to follow).
  3. Emily: Your police office door sign as well as your Blackbird Bar scene door sign are perfect. I have never worked with sticker paper and made clear signs & labels of any kind before so I am learning by trial & error. So far, I've selected and downloaded a black, vintage style border for both store windows and second, I will create a name for the store to go within the center of the borders for both windows. I know I will make mistakes but when you're teaching yourself something new, "crap happens". LOL LOL
  4. Thank you for your input about the clear labels & signs making process & commendations on the store. If and when I get it done satisfactorily I will post photos. These photos shown are older pics of the store and I've done some adjustments - like where the green, wood sign on the outside, right hand side of the store was removed and replaced with 2 flashing, battery operated lights that says, "OPEN" in red on each side of the store. Also, I've added 2 metal hand trucks and watermelons for sale (made from the nut - pecans) to the scene as well.
  5. I just purchased a pack of clear sticker paper for lnkjet printers to make signs for my old fashion, country store (to go in the front windows of the store, but I've never done this before. Can someone guide me thru the process? The paper came with no instructions whatsoever.
  6. Can anyone direct me to where I can purchase under the counter miniature light fixtures? They use to sell them on Miniature.com (Hobby Builders), but they don't sell any longer. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
  7. How about those tiny, slender, short cocktail straws. They come in different colors as well as clear. You cut-up in small pieces. Holley's ideas are genius.
  8. I'm a fan of Hobby Lobby now even though I've only been there twice and you can also order from them online. They have good stuff for all kinds of crafting and DYI. And I see that their miniatures are better in-store than the ones they show online. A better choice/variety of minis. Truth-be told, I will shop at any store that has what I want or need for mini as well as non-mini projects; be it Michael's, Jo-Ann's, Hobby Lobby, etc. and all the (exclusively online) stores as well.
  9. What's with all these retailers closing shop; stores that were very popular, icons like Sears, Kmart. JCPenney closing many stores too. And I remember A.C. Moore stores took over all Ben Franklin's Crafts stores. I had come to love Ben Franklins after years of shopping there then they up and changed to A.C. Moore now A.C. has up and changed to Michael's. Mama Mia!! Next thing you know all craft stores will be taken over by Hobby Lobby. I will not mind that because they sell EVERYTHING under the sun for crafting as well as some inexpensive minis.
  10. The cat theme house - SWEET! So is it a house where the people love cats or is it inhabited by just cats with good taste? LOL!
  11. Holly & Pat: I agree with you both most people don't see the treasures in their trash like we miniaturists see in our trash. Pat: you asked where I display my houses? - I have never owned a dollhouse but I purchased one already completed at a thrift store once (A Duracraft Peaches & Cream) that was in pretty good shape, only needed a lil TLC so I did the repairs & sold it. I only do room boxes of different sizes and shadow boxes of different sizes, lamp bases with tiny room settings built inside, & other small vignettes. What I haven't sold or given away as gifts I normally display on shelves on the walls of my spare bedroom.
  12. Holly - We might be slowing down physically but mentally I really, truly believe that our beloved hobby will keep our minds sharp (diminish the probability of dementia). My opinion. I can't seem to tear myself away from the conversation. GONE FOR NOW!! BE BACK!!
  13. I have to leave right this moment but I'll be back to keep up with this thread - so excited!!!! But, I must say for your bakery boxes use printies and cardboard (there are printies sites all over the internet including Pinterest). In the store interior is some old fashion Crisco Shortening cans (near the Quaker Oats Cereal boxes ) these were full size labels off the internet that I resized, printed-out then glued to those little round plastic thingies used in packaging to keep them fresh. The Crisco labels actually looked like years and years ago. GOTTA GO BUT BE BACK SOON!
  14. The old country store is actually a 2-opening picture frame I purchased from a Tuesday Morning store. I had a wooden box the exact size of the frame built, then painted the box hunter green and attached it to the frame with little brass hinges so it opens & closes (the inside of the box is the interior of the store).
  15. Pat - I love it, I love it, I love it!!!!!! Seems like we miniaturists have the very same mindset, (we think alike). We can turn very unlikely things into common things in miniature. That kinda makes us magicians. LOL I love it!! Pat, why not start a conversation about how everyone has made something unusual into something miniature. Its not my original idea; I got it from another forum so here is my input: watermelons for my old country store vignette made from pecans (the nut).
  16. I think blue & white quite often - maybe I need to get a life!!! The bakery sounds "Yummy"
  17. Pat - Check out Miniatures.com - Hobby Builders. They sell lots of kits of all kinds; lots of chair kits too.
  18. Holly - I wish I had the patience & zeal I had years ago but to be honest I do not and as much as I love this splendid hobby of ours, I am now at an age and attitude of "Let someone else make it but I'll enjoy it." So I buy, when I can. I love working with my hands & making things myself but the charm is wearing off, the older I get. I still attempt small projects, very small. Those wicker pieces on the cover of the book are beautiful. (so sorry for whining). LOL!
  19. I saw these on Dollhouse Junction & I think wicker pieces like these would go well in the greenhouse-shape candle holder but I'd change the fabric to a cobalt blue print though. This would be a huge splurge in my little budget but its far & in between that I do splurges. LOL
  20. Pat: check out a site called Dollhouse Junction - they sell high end as well as economical items. Artisan Miniatures and Estate miniatures which are a bit pricey but great looing stuff.
  21. HOLLY - Excellent ideas Holly. I've done vanity bottles and vases and lamp bases in the past. I have plenty of those jewelry findings to make accessories for the room. PAT - The blue & white armchair is beautiful. I'm getting lazy in my old age though, so gonna buy furniture ready-made but will do smaller, accessories with the beads and other small decorative pieces. And yes, absolutely - the fun part will be collecting all the bits and pieces.
  22. I want to build a miniature room setting, all blue and white décor and furniture inside the metal & glass candle holder I found on sale at Krogers Supermarket for $15.00. I found a small pack of 8 blue & white beads at Hobby Lobby for 99 cents. Looking at them I see table lamp bases, vases, flower pots, plant pots, etc What do you see? It will be fun collecting further for this room. Stay tuned.
  23. Thanks so much Jenn: Throw pillows, window valance, the lamp, area rugs, an abstract canvas print - are all included but I really think I'm done collecting - well at least I think so. We will see. LOL The photos below are not in my home (I wish) except for the bed tray that sits on the coffee table in my living room. I even enjoy saving pictures I find on the internet just to look at - and yes, it is very soothing.
  24. Hey Holly: even if we're not related I know I would love her because we are normally drawn to people who share the same interests. 2. And yes Pat - it does bring great joy. I already have my eyes on (searching for) one inch scale miniature ceramic pieces for a living room setting built in a large metal & glass taper (candle) holder ) shaped like a green house.
  25. Chihuly's blue & white glass creation in the picture above would go great in my living room. The photos attached are just part of the room. I have a huge collection of blue and white china and ceramic pieces - I call this (wall unit) the "Great Wall of China". LOL It is surrounded with larger pieces that sit on the floor plus a table lamp I made from a large vase that use to sit on the floor. I dream of doing what Pat (Cloudbound) did with her 1:48 miniature Hippie House but in a larger scale cause my vision is very poor. Her house is a miracle because of for how she worked it in such a small scale. I admire her work.