tilliejam62

Gold Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by tilliejam62

1. I don't know why the photos came out looking so fuzzy in this post but they are "picture" perfect in person; no smears, no fuzzy.. The 1st picture is my great granddaughter, one month old; the 2nd is her father when he was a toddler. He is 26 years old now and the baby is his 1st. child.
  2. These are just 2 of 5 pictures I resized & printed on glossy paper (thanks to Sable). The baby is my GREAT GRANDDAUGHTER born just last month & the little boy is her father when he was a toddler. I'm making the nursery lamp as a gift for her.
  3. My project is a life-size table lamp for a little girl's nursery made with 5 picture frames for the lamp base with a miniature room built inside (a little girl's nursery room). I got this idea from Dollhouse Miniatures magazine years ago. This will be the 4th one I've made so far.
  4. meant to say I guess I'm not going to Staples.
  5. Hey Sable: Glad you stepped-in to help me out cause it worked perfectly so I guest I'm not going to Staples. LOL First I saw where the paper size adjuster was (I always saw it but never had to use it till now; then I put in a sheet of paper, glossy side facing away from me - oops! wrong side; printed a second time with glossy side facing me; PERFECTION!! Thank you.
  6. Okay, I'll try your suggestion but if I goof-up I'm either going to use the printed ones I have on bond paper or go to Staples. LOL
  7. You know - I just might use the resized photos as is after the frames arrive. They really look okay as is and the frames will make them look better. I'll take pictures & post and get your thoughts.
  8. I typed a document and I wanted to insert a photograph which was simple enough to do. So I hit "Insert picture" went to where my pictures are stored on my laptop; drop-down box showed "resize"; hit that and now I know how to make my full size photos smaller and all I had to do was hit a key on the keyboard. LOL So now that I have the small photos the next step is to either print them out or write them to a CD, take them to either Stapes or Office Max (their custom photo & printing dept. and have them print them on glossy photo paper. Yesterday I purchased some HP glossy photo paper (4"X 6") but I have no clue how to even load it in my HP inkjet printer. I read reviews about this paper after I purchased it and they say the pictures come out smeared, out of focus, etc. Also, I don't fathom using up HP ink cartridges (they cost too much) just for a few photos and possibly, not so good ones. I'm gonna go to Staples Office Supplies. The nursery & dorm room shadowboxes in the photos I initially attached were created by a miniature store in Pittsburg, PA, called Dollhouse Junction, and the owner, Debbie M., told me that's how they do it. Her customers supply the pictures, her husband resizes them, she takes them to Staples and the result is what you see in the attached photos of the nursery and college dorm room shadowboxes.
  9. Does anyone know how to re-size actual photographs to 1 inch dollhouse scale? If you do can you please tell me how.
  10. Thank you all for your kind words and compliments; much appreciated.
  11. Thanks so much Sarah; it was fun making this now comes the hard part, getting it all the way from the eastcoast to the westcoast in one piece. My heart will be in my stomach until I know it has arrived at its destination undamaged.
  12. Great finds at Michael's Craft store; I too have been finding some great items at craft store's scrapbooking, party favors and florals sections. I'd never heard of Ashlan Clear Submersible LED Lights in Michael's florals section. A miniaturist friend of mine recently used them along with some wooden dowels and wooden finials to make two outdoor, lamp/lampposts and they came out amazingly great. I would like to try using them to make some lamps and light fixtures myself. They come in packs of 4 or 12. untitled.bmp
  13. I finally completed a newborn baby gift for the newest member of my family - a shadow box of a baby nursery setting. I started off the project with a heavy, plastic shadow box called, Callen Crafts and finished up with a personalized, brass nameplate with the baby's name.
  14. I already have the two scounces and they as well as the other pieces Im using in the shadow box are all 1" scale. I do not want to dismantle the scounces and replace with the LED lights cause Im afraid I may ruin them especially since I do not know what Im doing. LOL In my searching I've found that Cir-Kit Concepts has the battery holder (for cell batteries) that looks like an old dresser so I think Im going with that; have to figure out how to hook them up to the batteries. Im sure there should be some instructions included with the dresser. I do not plan to display the dresser but keep it outside the shadow box, concealed behind it.
  15. Okay; just after posting my inquiry about using batteries I found an old post (August 2011) on this very topic and found some terrific info. It was suggested contacting Cir-Kit Concepts. I found their website and have their telephone number; so I will contact them about their battery holders, which they have several different types.
  16. Can anyone direct me to a tutorial on how to use batteries as an electrical power source. I am working on a very small shadow box scene with two wall scounces and would like to use a battery for the electrical power as oppose to a transformer. The two scounces have plugs for plugging into a power strip. Any info would be much appreciated. I have no clue on where to purchase nor how to accomplish this.
  17. Hey Mandy; its been a while since I've touched bases with you; I see you have come a long, long way with your Garfield and wondering if you ever made the mini poster of the Ansel Adams real life poster? Please let me see it if you have. You know my email address.
  18. Thanks so much everyone for your kind responses. A friend told me about some chairs on Ebay also. I don't know why I never thought to go there to look in the first place. I found a nice chair there and purchased it (BUY NOW) as opposed to bidding and shipping is free. White wire metal furniture and other items seem to have skyrocketed in prices. I remember a few years ago I purchased many of them at one of those super drugstore chains, CVS for only $2.00 a piece and some for $1.00 a piece. That photo I posted in my initial post is a patio set sold by Dollhouse Junction; they to do sell them anymore because the manufacturers increased their prices so high that the store refuses to carry the product anymore because they felt that nobody would want to pay the astronomical price they would have to charge their customers. They initially were selling that complete 4 piece set for $23.00 but would have to up that price to $75.00.
  19. Im trying to match the metal, white wire chair to this shelf which I already have.
  20. I'm desperately trying to find one of those metal , white wire (wicker look) armchairs or rocking chair I need to complete a project. I have searched two favorite retailers, Dollshouse Junction and Miniature.com (Hobby Builders) and neither of them carry it anymore. If some one know where I might find one of these chairs, please let me know. My personal email address: ] Im working on a baby girl nursey shadow box as a gift and need the chair to match the white wire shelf a already have. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
  21. I'm loving this conversation about the garage sale and the lady in uniform there. So glad Tanya cleared up the matter of whether she was a postal worker or a police officer and whether she is on-duty or off. This thread shows just how serious but fun loving we miniatrists are. LOL
  22. I fully agree with those that think its size if okay as a sports car. I think you should leave it as such.
  23. l sure hope they cherish them; put my heart and soul into all of them. But I thnk I get so much pleasure out of making things. It brings me much peace, relaxation and joy as Im sure it does to all people who make things and thank you for your kind words Kathie.
  24. I have involved myself in many, many different hobbies, including floral design (silk and dried flower arrangements and weaths), memory boxes for people and pets, lampmaking, gift boxes and gift trays, reseaching my family ancestry, etc. but due to the economy and retiring which means a reduced income, I have had to scale back, downsize. I chose to keep miniatures and floral designs because they are my first loves. You can see more of my work at my PictureTrail albums. http://www.picturetrail.com/tilliejam62
  25. :groucho: Hey Cheryl: I must speak up for the mail lady - I am sure she must be delivering the mail which just happens to be a dollhouse. LOL :groucho: