• Last visited

• Days Won

Soapz last won the day on December 12 2018

Soapz had the most liked content!

710 Excellent

About Soapz

Profile Information

• Interests
    Taking over the world - one mini at a time.......

Retained

• Member Title
    Guesstimator...

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    Five or more
  • Real Name
    Chris
  • Country
    United States

Recent Profile Visitors

16,222 profile views
  1. Well, long time no hear..... I've been checking in randomly and I miss this forum, the dollhouse, and -just about everything - so much...... I can't believe I am admitting this - but my "craft room" is still not quite set up. I got the shelves and the boxes in, but I need to sort through it and throw some stuff out. I did find the box with the repair furniture, and the chandelier (from hell) that I tried to make. I consider that progress. My work station in the garage is covered of things that escaped from the abyss - I have no clue what they are. *sigh* - this will have to wait, I am going to pretend that it is too cold to clean that up. Other than that, I've been circling my unfinished houses and I am determined to finish at least one of them this year. Then again, there are all these others. The guilt is almost unbearable. Have y'all ever thought of building all the shells and then line them up and work on all of them at the same time? a little bit here and a little bit there? I mean, who needs a living room, right? I'm glad to hear that everyone is doing somewhat okay and is standing strong. I hope we all continue that way. Stay well everyone.
  2. MiniElle has photos of the house in her gallery album. I'm assuming that Annie sold it to her.
  3. Soapz

Happy 2021

Happy New Year to all of you. May it be a tad easier on all of us.
  4. So, I finally watched yesterday - and I have sooooo many questions.... What exactly is 50% prep work? Prepping all walls, floors and ceilings and then put the house together? What about the interiors? Prepped? Built? What are the carpenters doing? I didn't really get what they are helping with. Well, I hope the show will get better. The work was messy and I wasn't impressed.
  5. Looks like the Lady Kathleen Kit by Celerity
  6. Here is a link to an online estate auction - there are a few interesting pieces that might fit tighter budgets and not so tight ones... https://www.invaluable.com/catalog/fagothlbyb?fbclid=IwAR1-PE283jPPmmzmPq5FfVV-xs0OZ5IylO7Rk493LnmkvMMFL3DN7t7vaWc
  7. Well, glad to hear that everyone is hanging on. Life's been a bit rough since last year - I haven't been around much. My father had cancer, started an internal bleed in March 2019 and couldn't get it repaired with surgery until August. We had a few touch and go situations where he almost died. He got better until about February this year, that's when he asked me to move in with him to help out. I packed a few things and did that and then he passed on March 17th. Since then I have been dealing with packing up two houses, moving, dealing with the estate and I am still going to work every day. The house I am moving into (parent's house) is full of stuff. I packed all of it for now - it filled a whole bedroom. I was able to clear the garage, and next Saturday my furniture and the rest of my life is being moved: furniture into the house - boxes in the garage for now. I have a painter coming in on the 9th - and then I can start to get organized. I have moved the majority of my dollhouse furniture collection already, now all the building parts are coming on the weekend. It'll take weeks to get set up - I promise I won't move again - they'd have to drag me screaming and kicking out of here. I am so over it. But I will have a shop in the garage, and one bedroom for 'clean' work. No more doing everything in my office and getting saw dust in my computer..... hahaha. Y'all, I thought I was so clever and packed everything in small moving boxes, thinking that I have to move them at some point. I'm pretty sure I got over 100 boxes coming. I am already exhausted thinking about it....
  8. Hah! Knew it! 'A tiger cannot change its spots' - or was it 'a leopard cannot change its stripes'? Whatever.... glad you are feeling and sounding better!
  9. I seem to remember flat lead wire being sold in the UK for fishing. Something like this: https://www.flyshopeurope.com/hends-flat-lead-wire/ https://www.flyshopeurope.com/hends-half-round-lead-wire/
  10. I finally have something new to report: I bought myself a car - no more old clunker for me. What a relief to get into a car not having to worry if it is going to make it to where you want to go.
  11. Matt, seeing as I will inherit your houses, just say: That one is only stored temporarily for Christina. Because Christina wants this one, but Christina's car is on the fritz, so it will not drive to Metairie at this time. I'll sign off on it. I think the coast needs to unite and not let that one get away. I can totally paypal you if you think that works.... Can you see the same grand staircase that I see in this house?
  12. So, Kelly.......... if any of your houses are seeking political asylum - there might be a way all of us can help out........? I'm aware that it is an involved process, but I'm willing to house a few.... Jokes aside. This might be a more unconventional suggestion, but: for the built houses - contact local charities that might plan fundraisers. It's kinda what I do with the houses I don't like much (you know the ones you buy because they are such a good deal you can't walk away from? The ones you look at later and think: Was I drunk when buying that one?) I finish them as play houses and donate them - usually they involve food in fundraisers, so I get to eat for free and peddle the house as the one thing everybody needs. Because what is house without a dollhouse? Right? You could attach small plaques to the house with your mom's name as the donor. I think that would be a nice thought. Charities usually do not get high ticket items that are unique. Place a dollhouse for $200 next to a generic giftbasket for the same price - it always comes out: Dollhouse: 1 - Giftbasket: 0. I have yet to see one of them go for less than 200. No furniture unless I got some that I want to get rid off as well. Just a thought.
  13. Hey Shannon, I used paint stripper I bought from Home Depot on a Mahogany daybed from Bespaq and it worked well. I covered the complete piece in paint stripper - I had a hard time keeping up with removing the finish before the stripper dried. I believe doing it in sections will work better. Or taking the piece apart with help of a hair dryer. The glue gets dissolved by the paint stripper, so the piece comes apart anyways. I cut an old gift card into thin stripes to use as scrapers. That worked really well. Problems I ran into: Because the wood pieces are so small, the individual parts soak up liquid and become soft and bendable. I had a tiny piece break off and had to replace it. I would recommend being extremely careful when drying the pieces so they do not warp. If you use paint stripper you will still have to sand the whole piece. Any form of liquid will raise the grain and sanding is a must for a finished look. I made sanding sticks from 600 and 1000 sanding paper to use - could not have done it without it. In this picture I used the old upholstery which came off rather easy. I have not glued it down yet, so it looks
  14. I believe they have been sold as "Heartland" Doll House Furniture. There are quite a few around and I think they have been originally manufactured in Taiwan.