Soapz

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by Soapz

1. Good morning all! I need help. For weeks now, I have been de-cluttering my house and I am almost there. For the reorganized workroom, I bought two large wire shelves (brilliant deal on A) - 84x48x18 on wheels, moved my desk, put my two cheapo file cabinets on a moving dolly (My Wentworth will be living there) and moved my tools into my "storage" bedroom. I had these plastic drawer organizers that cannot hold weight and threw out the frames for them - my old bookshelves are a perfect fit for the drawers so I use them for tools & accessories that I do not need to "see". Here is the question: I want to store the 'few' pieces of furniture that I bought so that I can see them. I also need to store the ones I bought for repair or rehab so that I can 'see' them. Y'all - I forget I have them and then buy them again.... and again. Same for tools - I caught myself buying the HF chop saw twice........... It really is getting ridiculous. Help? Any ideas or solutions are welcome.
  2. This is how I do it - hope this helps http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=blog&module=blogs&controller=entry&id=2839
  3. 1. Open the file in paint. In this one, I use the inch setting to see how big the design is of the paper: almost 6 inches x 8 inches - so it is way too big. 2. I use the resize function in the home tab to reduce the size. I chose 30% - that should reduce the sample to 1 3/4 inches by 2 1/4 inches - that translates to 1 3/4ft by 2 1/4 ft - looks about right. 3. Use "select all" function and copy function. 4. Change the paper size - I use 17x11 - legal - that's what I print on 5. Go to the View tab - and zoom in until the original design appears pixelated and paste. Then move the copied part into position - you can use the arrow keys to move it and match the pixels. 6. Repeat until the full length of you paper size is filled. 7. Use the select all - copy function and repeat the pattern across the paper 8,. On this one, the pattern is offset - so I had to add to the bottom of the second column. After the second column, I can copy and paste until the end of my paper. 9. Zoom out and make sure it looks correct to you in terms of pattern size and try to imagine if you could see that on your wall. If it seems too large - reduce the size in 10% increments until the pattern has a size that looks correct. What helps me: Zooming in until you see pixels as little squares helps with matching offset patterns - you can line up better and use the arrow keys to move the copied design one pixel in any needed direction.
  4. Been a busy year so far......... Haven't had much time for minis, but I am currently de-cluttering the house, transforming my guest bedroom into tool and dollhouse storage, treating myself to some wire-shelving on wheels (got so tired of dust bunnies everywhere - tried to kill one a few weeks ago because I thought it was a mouse... sigh) and just overall revamp my place. I feel bad for our garbage disposal service - those bins have been full and very heavy those past two weeks. I tried to sell some stuff on facebook marketplace, but that turned into such drama, that I decided to just throw out. Still can't believe the nerve of some people. I tried to get rid of some soap making materials, offered a lot of bulk materials for free for pick up and they messaged me to ask me to deliver 35 miles out. I can't even...... Anyways, I hope as fall approaches I'll be done and everything is where it needs to be. I promised myself a new computer when I'm done to motivate me. (Already got a new dollhouse..... sigh). I'm trying to come up with a workbench that allows me to work on more than one project while still have enough space to move around in my office/workroom. If anyone has an idea of a 5 or 6 feet movable work table on wheels - let me know. PS: Y'all might want to buy shares from Hefty............ I'm using a lot of garbage bags here..... LOL
  5. Well, I got coffee, water and towels ready............ LOL. I'm all set. I'm up high enough that the water won't be a problem, and that's the main concern here right now. It'll be okay. Got home from work early and might not go in tomorrow if the roads aren't cleared. I plan on playing veggie on the couch and binge watch something.
  6. I'm not sure about a "real" tutorial for using paint, but I've been doing my wallpaper for years now with it and I think I could get a few screenshots uploaded with explanations to show how I do that. Y'all have to wait until the weekend though.
  7. Rebecca, find the wallpaper and link me the photo. I have a bunch of done wallpaper, I can look tonight if I have something you might like. I'll find a place to upload a few, if I do.
  8. Hello Rebecca, I use the "Paint program" to scale wallpaper. I print on 11x17 paper at office depot because that covers about any size wall I run into. When I rescale patterns, I look at how would the pattern look at 12inches. Let's say i have a rose pattern. On real-life wallpaper, a single bloom would look strange if it were 12 inches big. So, I reduce by 50%. That leaves me with a 6-inch bloom. if that is still too big, I reduce again until it looks right. Not sure that makes sense - not enough caffeinated at this time. If I can help you with anything, let me know. I will return after my second coffee...........
  9. What a nice way to put it - it took me 30 minutes trying to upload the picture and it still shows sideways......... sigh......... technology.......
  10. I have been working on the roombox I got from Jackie. It is coming along nicely, just hit a snag for a while when trying to decide what wallpaper to use. I went for a texture one and am still not sure if that looks right to me........ sigh.......
  11. Weird. no matter what - i got a Manor House w/ the addition............. and it is going to be here in one week........Yeah!
  12. I managed to get a Skilcraft Manor House - somehow for me it came up with the link Matt posted. Does anyone understand how that works?
  13. I got the casters from Home Depot and just screwed them in. They have them in non-marking rubber from Everbilt: Casters Just make sure they fit. I got the 2-inch plates and that worked perfectly. And this is the table: Lack coffee table
  14. I use prints from Office Depot - mostly size 17x11 - works for most size rooms. I had no problem with discoloration so far. I use bookbinder's glue to attach the paper b/c it guarantees that the paper will not react with it. I also use a matte sealer on it.
  15. Welcome to the mini-madness......... Dry fitting: A lot of us tend to assemble the house - without glue - to see if the parts fit well together and to see if the kit is complete. Painter's tape holds it well enough for this purpose. It also helps to figure out if there are hard to get to places which helps with wallpapering and such. Priming: Some do - some don't. Those who do, do it mainly because it makes wallpaper go on more smoothly, it allows for some wiggle room (aka - moving the wallpaper on the part) and it can show you flaws in the wood that might come through on the paper, ruining the look. Often a bit of wood filler takes care of these flaws. I've built MDF kits for kids before - they tend to be more sturdy than plywood kits. Difference being: MDF = 1/4 inch walls - Plywood= 1/8 walls. Gotta run to work now, so I hope this helps a bit
  16. It's from Midwest i believe - might be wrong about the wood type: Grain goes same way back and front
  17. Lawanda, I got a 1/32s and 1/16s at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. Can't remember which one. I think both have it where they keep the round and square dowels - model making section, maybe? they have them for sure and they are birch if I am not completely mistaken.
  18. 'cause poor Chris is working................ I've been in d'Iberville for 10 years and have not made it to the Farmer's market once............ hahahaha
  19. I decided to call these "Good luck- Houses": Paint over raw wood, some rather generic furniture, and bubbling wallpaper............. Very nicely done, display case is beautiful - the price though................... No words necessary........... Ambitious pricing for a Harrison and a few interesting auctions: Never seen one of those before Interesting building concept Too much money for me, but it's a Tudor............ sigh And two Hacker houses - there is just something about them: I love the interior on this one and on this one all I have this morning... Happy Friday!
  20. Hoping for the best possible results for you daughter in law. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, Jeannine.
  21. Wow. Just wow. I've lived in the US now for 10 years. Stick framing is something I've never heard before I came here. Back home we build in concrete and brick. And yes, we do believe in insulation. As for the weather: Chicago: 41.8781° N, 87.6298° W - London: 51.5074° N, 0.1278° W. Another point to consider is that we build to last. In your studies you might check into how we engineer windows it might be an eye opener for you. Other than that - I'll stick with Mike: Not going to waste any more time on your post. Some of it might have merit - I am not going to bother and check; however, a lot of it is rubbish and added to that also insulting. You might want to tone that down a bit.
  22. I like the "Mansion in Minutes".................... muahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Made my morning! Thanks for that link, Samantha. I'll go now and clean that coffee off the monitor..............
  23. They could be vintage German tin dollhouse furniture. I've seen something similar before. Could be Oro-Werke maybe? Hard to tell though, most of the smaller German manufacturers stopped production during WWII and there are rarely catalogs from before then.
  24. So, about that rice.... I usually use a bit of oil, some onions when I make a curried rice, heat that up, throw in the rice until it turns glossy and then either add the water or vegetable broth, bring it to a short boil. Take the pot off the stove, wrap it in newspaper (with a lid on....... hahaha), stick it on my couch and insulate with pillows and blankets and let it sit there and it will cook to perfection. Although, do not ask how long it takes until it is done... I usually don't bother until 2 or 3 hours later - but it should be done in one hour. Back home we "put the rice to bed" as we use comforters a lot. The couch works as well.
  25. By the way, Lawanda............ have I told you about the secret stash of kits under my bed? There are many, many, many houses to be built. I got your back!