• Dollhouse Preference The Traditional Greenleaf
  • Online Community Building Projects Yes
  • Digital Camera Yes
  • Real Name Matt
  • Country United States

Recent Profile Visitors

6937 profile views
  1. Color Choices Real and Mini Houses

We had to have some of our shutters rebuild and new ones made that were missing. Its not cheap. All are of Spanish cypress to resist rot. But as you, it probably won't matter if we get a direct hit from a major storm.
  2. Color Choices Real and Mini Houses

Every time I do a dollhouse build, I let the house speak to me on choosing its exterior colors.  I did the same with our full-size house.  When we moved it, the house was tired looking and needed to be refreshed and revived.  I did consult a professional to get the palate correct for the year of the house - 1870.  He came up with about 40 different combinations.  This one jumped out at us, and I knew it was the one the house wanted.   Isn't it funny house our real size houses can speak to us as well as our mini ones? Along with the new colors, we also fixed the porch foundation.  No more solid stucco, but correct piers and lattice panels.  The first-floor shutters were also hung correctly (they bi-fold back, so when closed they do cover each window completely).  Also, so many of the architectural details were hidden.  The brackets above the two front upstairs windows, the crown molding in the eaves and on the porch fascia.  Plus, the trim in the house fascia board. It's been a long haul, but it is finally finished! Before: After:
  3. Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

Here is an Excellent Find!  Especially for Little House on the Prairie fans!  RARE, RARE Kit! https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Little-House-On-The-Prairie-Dollhouse-Kit-1991-Opening-Scene-Replicas-/264433092202?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276
  4. Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

What a great house! I knew I had seen it before. It is from The Country Peddler.
  5. Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

This is the kit for that "expensive, one of a kind" house mentioned earlier in this thread on eBay. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F312727858281
  6. Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

Woo Hoo!  The Seller is dropping the price!    https://www.ebay.com/itm/312715844842?ul_noapp=true
  7. Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

Another Victoriana showed up on eBay.  A bit pricey after the last one that sold. https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1985-GREENLEAF-No-8020-VICTORIANNA-DOLLHOUSE-KIT-NEW-OLD-SCALE-1-2/323878600658?hash=item4b68ab3fd2:g:0h0AAOSwti1dSrdz
  8. French Quarter House

Yep, Kathie beat me to it.  Most of these decorative air vents are on the front/street side of a house with the side and back being open as the house will be setting on piers.  As said before, it allows for good air circulation and the area under the house to be kept cool and dry.
  9. French Quarter House

Hi Kells! I am watching your projects with a lot of interest.  I lived in the FQ for 15+ years (just moved uptown 1.5 years ago) and am in that neighborhood at least once a week.  You seem to be on target with your plans!  I love the Hermann-Grima and Gallier houses.  They are great sources of inspiration.  Let me know if you need any photos of places or architectural items as I would love to just wander around taking pictures. Matt
  10. Matboard

So I have never used matboard for my mini projects and need some advice.  I am trimming out the interior of the Vineyard cottage, and am wondering if matboard is the way to go to trim the dormer windows and the new windows I replaced from the kit.  The new windows are from Grandt - plastic Gothic 5 light windows, and did not come with interior trim. What is the best way to cut the board for curved areas?  I know a new knife blade will be needed and I have read to cut from the backside of the board.  How well does it take paint or stain, if I try to match it to the wood?  I used brown shoe polish on the wood to give it the look I wanted.  I am curious if the brown shoe polish would work on the matboard?  Any other advice?   Thanks! 
  11. Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

I wish I could get that for this!  I have this kit in my stash (keeping it).  I just sold (if I receive payment) the main house kit (no carriage house) for much less than $5k.  LOL These are Skilcraft kit houses.  They are nice kits, but . . . 
  12. Dollhouse Search

That is the Duracraft Heritage.  They do pop up on eBay and Etsy from time to time.  I am not aware of anyone who makes replacement parts, as Duracraft is out of business.  Your best bet will be to find one on those site (or others) where the kit is being sold for parts.  Or you could make your own from 1/8" plywood.
  13. Magazine Need To Go!

All of the above magazines are listed on eBay - seller id: MADnNOLA The Stanley Plans have sold.
  14. 2nd Cleaning of Stash - Dollhouse Kits

Skilcraft Country Manor is sold
  15. Project Updates - PROGRESS!

This was actually a very common practice on old homes.  To keep the balance on the exterior, but not interfere with the layout of the inside, many homes with exterior shutters used this trick!  I have seen several 1:1 size houses that have done this.