madtex1967

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by madtex1967

1. I've been concentrating on the Cape May the past week. I finally got the shingles dyed and started work on the roof. But I realized I needed to get the main house color painted on before I could shingle next to the tower, dormers, etc. So I finished the first coat of paint on the house! I am really pleased with the color and am anxious to see with the trim colors!
  2. From the album: Model Homes Cape May Victorian

Shingles are dyed! I used steel wool in vinegar for the dye solution.
  3. Nope, I have San Francisco and Parlange plantation paintings. This house was built off plans by Dollhouse Domiciles from the 70s. Here is one that is listed for sale on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Doll-House-1-12-scale-Replica-of-Shadows-on-the-Teche-in-Lousiania-/322237837646?hash=item4b06df314e:g:zTEAAOSwRgJXhQAW
  4. Have you looked on eBay for some contemporary lighting? I have seen some great modern chandeliers, table lamps, floor lamps, and wall sconces. Many are reasonably priced. Do a search such as "modern chandler" in the dollhouse section! Good luck! I am looking forward to pictures as you progress!
  5. This is so true Holly! I think before I never listened. The Cape May seems to be screaming at me sometimes. HA!
  6. Try the direct link! http://www.ebay.com/sch/madnnola/m.html?item=132139586911&ssPageName=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562 ALSO: I say no international shipping. BUT I will for GL people :-) When I sell normally, it can be a bit of a pain, but for everyone on the forum, I will do it! Just let me know!
  7. I just ordered the big Cir-Kit Transformer for the Cape May!
  8. For some reason before, my houses never had occupants. The recently finished Victoriana is a good example. Nothing spoke to me when I was building it. BUT, the Cape May is different. It is telling me stories as I build it. The occupant is a bachelor of some means. The house was built by his family in the New Olreans Garden District, shortly after the Mississippi River inundated their plantation, just south of the city. I have acquired some Louisiana plantation pictures and painting that will hang on the walls to remind him of past years. The house will be filled with a few lifetimes of furniture from his parents, grandparents and so on. It will definitely have a masculine feel about it, with some feminine touches. He is a bit sentimental, and he keeps those special items around that remind him of his mother and grandmother. (I have a feeling he is much like me!). As I keep working on it, more of his story is revealed.
  9. I started cleaning out my "stash" of minis. I think I have so much I could open my own brick & mortar store! I just listed several items on eBay I have everything from lights, building supplies, misc beads, general store items, windows, doors, . . . it kind of goes on and on! all are priced to sell! HERE is my page listing of items! One of my items for sale I LOVE. It is the Garden Wall Statue. I don't think I will use it, so I am hoping someone on here can get it!
  10. Woodline's Victorian on etsy. New in box. I think this is a fair price for it. https://www.etsy.com/listing/511424915/vintage-woodline-victorian-dollhouse-kit?ref=hp_rv
  11. I am using soft copper sheeting. .005 thick 36. It is stiff enough to shape easily, but still have the smooth look. I am going to use it on my flat roofs as well. Thanks! That was me last Saturday (11th) at one of our four St. Patrick's Day Parades! My beard is also dyed red! I am anxious to see the weathered shingles with the color scheme I have for the house. Getting excited as it seems to be coming together quickly at this point.
  12. The Cape May roof is ready to shingle! I spent the evening trimming out the dormers, painting them, and placing the copper flashing around. Whew! The last thing to do to start the shingling. But first, I am waiting on my dye. I am doing the Pat & Noel Thomas technique of steel wool in vinegar. It's been a day and it is not quite ready. Next may be the copper roof on the flat roof of the extension!
  13. From the album: Model Homes Cape May Victorian

Dormers trimmed out. The roof is ready to shingle!
  14. I started shingling the Cape May last night. I had to quit. I bought real slate shingles and unhappy with them. I glued down a starter wood strip as usual to keep the angle correct on the rows. Well, the slate is so brittle, any pressure on the shingle and it snaps. I have broken several, including ones already glued on the house. There is just enough of a gap under the shingle, they break if any kind of pressure is applied - like laying the 2nd row! I know now to not use the wood strip with the slate. I thought this morning it would look better and I could move on . . . not so much. I feel l need to cut my losses and use the slate on another, smaller project. So I guess I am going to pull off the starter rows (all the way around the house!) and dye my wood shingles. Ugh! This was not a cheap lesson!
  15. So, an update! I took Samantha's advice and I built my own copies for my other two windows! I am very pleased with how they look. I don't think anyone will notice any difference. The original window will go on the single dormer. It is the one in the middle of the three. Some of my stash of wood strips and trim came in handy!
  16. I have seen her windows on eBay and etsy and really wish she would do other manufacturer's windows. I would really love some for my Cape May using the Classics Brand windows. Unfortunately, the dimensions of the Houseworks do not fit. I do love her designs!
  17. The top on is Parlange Plantation and it is north of Baton Rouge. The painting measures 2" x 3 1/4". The bottom one is San Francisco Plantation and it is on the River Road between Baton Rouge and New Orleans. It measures 2 1/4" x 3 1/4".
  18. I recently purchased these paintings and was wondering if anyone knew about them. They are signed "Boyd". I did a search and found Jean Boyd in the UK. I sent her an email, but am not sure if they are her's. I loved them since they are Louisiana plantation homes and her detail is great!