darahsmile

Gold Member
  • Last visited

Posts posted by darahsmile

1. My mom told me when she was little. Wasnt that long ago. She's only 43. Anyway, that her barbie house was under a pool table and she would make plates to TV's out of paper and cardboard. Then she would find Indian arrow heads from the corn and wheat field (North Dakota) and use those as fine china! Haha i love her:)

2. Hi!

My name is Nikki and im new around here...well new to the whole miniature thing in general. I have always wanted to complete a doll house and recently purchased a Fair Field house. Im so excited and cant wait to start plugging away at it.

Any help, tips or advice would greatly be appreciated!!!

I dont know much about this stuff at all, im not sure where to buy things or really what i can make on my own. I guess this will all be trial and error. Hopefully not to many errors.

Im sure i will be on here at least a few times begging for help and tricks.. im not going to lie, the bag of shingles scares the poop out of me....

Wish me luck, or at least pray that i don't end up gluing myself to the table.

Thanks a ton in advance to all the wonderful mini people on this forum, after looking through different threads, i can see i chose the right place and the right people to team up with on my Mini (huge) venture :)

Nikki

The shingles scared me too. The Fairfield is my second build and im hoping it goes better then my mckinley im trying to sell... It's not all the way finished...:/ to big for my area... I wish you luck! If you want wood floors i would use skinny sticks you can buy cheaply in the walmart craft department by the Popsicle sticks. Takes a long time but, man does it pack a punch! Looks amazing when finished!

3. What kind of doll is afford able? I mean afford able as in I could buy clothes that are less then $10! I have a heidi ott lady but, she kind of scares me. Her wig falls off since i bought her naked and bald. So she has knitted clothes from etsy and a wig from eBay. That right there was $90 put together! Ouch. I've been scouring the web for a nice posable doll hopefully that I can make into a witch for my bakery. I also want to be able to change her clothes more often since, I hate wearing the same clothes all the time! Please help! I also was gifted the Melissa and Doug family dolls that come in the box together. Hasn't been opened since yet again they scare me. Ok the baby does the others are ok.

I am scared of dolls yet, im a miniaturist at heart? Yes yes I am....

4. quote name="Shakyshaky" post="257763" timestamp="1213368019"]I just rewigged one of my Heidi ott dolls. I took off the old one. ( still useable) and put on the new one. Just be very sparing with the glue it does not take a lot.Try the wig on the head to get an idea of where you need to glue. I put the glue on the top and back of the the head and spread it around. Just wipe it off if it gets where you don't want it. It will spread so don't put it right to the edge of where the wig will go. Pull the extra hair out of the way and set the on head and press down to get the glue to grab. The biggest thing to be careful of is to not get glue in the hair just on the head.

5. I have a heidi ott doll. Bought her naked and bald... Bought one pair of clothes and a wig for her. I've been wondering how to keep the wig on. Googled it then saw this posted on the forum. Thought why not try! Anyone with museum wax will work? I want to be able to change her wigs.

6. I'm making a buttercup cottage into a witches bakery. It's a theme from the thriller movie hansel and Gretel that came out a few months ago! I love Hansel and Gretel since i was really young! Ps. How Did You Make her/him? The cat is soo cute!

7. Im working on selling the McKinley almost finished but, the money tree dried up... Along with some furniture I don't need to keep since I buy the kits you assemble... Then I have the Fairfield that Im currently working on. I've been looking for a small cottage one to two roomed.... My addiction must just kick in ever so often! Im going to stick with small building since they are easier to move and display!

• Like 1
  8. The miniature villiage christmas trees is wonderful, I bought one last year since i didnt have my house close to being able to have a tree I got it on clearance!

Clearance isles are the best when shopping for miniatures!! Im going to make a christmas tree skirt and then just need to figure out how to add lights, battery operated? can you get this on ebay? Along with some ornaments?

9. The 1/144 is the right scale for a dollhouse in a 1/12 dollhouse, though the little girl might be sad if you don't add furniture :lol: . Are you making a one from a kit or scratch building your own?

I'm making the 1/144 scale from a kit. eBay seller didn't have a specific name so may be when it arrives someone can help with the name, if not I will just name it. Do 1/144 furniture come in kits like room kits?

10. Actually, Linda's in Australia, but the shipping isn't any better there!

Oh! I'm sorry I didn't know that! But I've always wanted to see Australia, but the shots always tell me animal planet and the other nature channels are ok too! :)

11. i'd love to branch out into 1/2 scale as my RL house is small :p but there isnt much out there that i like/in my price range...but i'm still hopeful of one day owning a Fairfield :yes:...its so cute and reasonably priced, just the shipping makes it unobtainable

you can order it off barnesand noble online. Really good shipping I think it's free? If not its really reasonable. Hope this helps.
  12. I love working in 1/12 but that's because I've only did one house (McKinley) in that scale. Then I saw the Fairfield. And of course bought it because of me liking it so much. So now I'm trying 1:24 scale. Wish me luck since my extra furniture is in 1/12...