Profile Information

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    Five or more
  • Real Name
    Dennis
  • Country
    United States
  1. By golly, you're right! A big "deluxe" icefishing shack with a bed even! I've done plenty of icefishing when I lived up in BC and would've LOVED such "accoadations"! LOL Thanks for the kudos all Dennis who's building an enginehouse now at: http://www.freewebs.com/bucksowin/
  2. Much obliged! Yes, the scene could use a 1:48 figure alright. They are pretty readily available from different sources too. (As well as things like RR woodstoves, animals, vehicles etc.) Things like furniture, "kitchen" stoves or kitchen type items (plates, utensils, flatware etc) I'm still looking for to detail with... Actually, there seems to be more of that kinda thing in HO scale (1:87) than in 1/4" scale like my stuff is.... Best, Dennis BTW, I got lucky with the "bedding" on the little bed I made. It's made with wet kleenex kinda wadded into the shape I wanted and let dry. Then a coat of diluted white glue let me paint the grey blanket part without disintegrating the whole thing....
  3. Hugs back Anna (and all!) and your site is great! I wish you could make me some 1:48 scale chairs! ;) (I have a feeling that the loggers are going to be sitting on plain old benches!) Best, Dennis (Love these smiley things BTW!)
  4. Thanks for the kind words folks. Yes, there are a lot of kits out there, but this particular structure is 100% scratchbuilt. I made the stripwood framing from incense cedar on a tablesaw and the siding is wooden coffee stir sticks..... Thanks again, Dennis Oh and BTW.... Yes, the cedar shakes were handmade with an "Exacto-froe" ( ;) ) and are about .010" thick....Tedious but relaxing too if one doesn't "spring a leak" from a knife slip!!!
  5. Hey cool! Now I feel less like the "odd man out" by being a model RRer here! :Jumpy: Yeah, I know what a "Mudbug" is and as you probably saw, I'm a "multi-scaler" too... Do you have a site with RR stuff on it? Best, Dennis
  6. Prince George eh? Gee, I lived there for many years! eg: 948 20th ave, 623 Irwin St, 1467 Nation Crescent.... My lil' sister still lives up there in the great white north! :Jumpy: Small world eh? B) Dennis (who attended school at Connaught, Harwin, Duchess Park and Lakewood in PG!)
  7. Thanks much Wilma. Nice webpage you have there! Dennis Shingletown, CA. http://www.freewebs.com/bucksowin/
  8. I completed this little project for the logging railroad the other night. A filter cigarette is longer than this shack is wide. Besides the homegrown "furniture" (except the woodstove) this structure features handmade split cedar shake roofing. Here's a look... Dennis Shingletown, CA. Oh....not "quite" finished, it needs a couple of 1:48 chairs... ;)
  9. That particular "batch" (I generally make small amounts as I need them) had Kiwi black paste polish and 50% rubbing alcohol in it. I haven't tried the steel wool and vinegar trick yet either although I too have heard of it. I have also grated chalks, pastels etc on sandpaper and used the dust for weathering... Here is a tunnel portal I'm working on that has alcohol and a fine black "dust" as the weathering wash. It's almost too dark although the photo itself is kinda dark too.... Best, Dennis
  10. Hiya Jacksgurl, I'm a newcomer also and although I'm way off the beaten path (1:48 and 1:87 scale logging railwood stuff) no one has booted me so far....Nice bunch of folks here I'd say! Welcome from me too! Dennis Shingletown, CA. http://www.freewebs.com/bucksowin/
  11. I'd love to have you make me one in 1/4" scale, nice work! Dennis :thumb:
  12. Much obliged for the kind words. (Even though I guess I'm a little off the beaten "track" here....pun intended) Yes Kathie, the alcohol/black shoe polish wash is great for making wood instantly look like it's been out in the sun for 50 yrs. Jackie, I'll look for "skinny sticks" next time I'm in "Wally's World". It would be nice to find something in "bulk" that scales out to a useful size....Usually, I make my own stripwood with two tablesaws with 10" and 4" size blades.... Melissa, maybe we'll get to look at each other's "work" one day! Best to all, Dennis
  13. Wow! This is certainly a friendly forum! Glad to be here.... For a look at some of my creations, you can go here: http://www.freewebs.com/bucksowin/ Best, Dennis B) PS: 1:48 in the model RR "world" is 0 scale. I model my RR in "0n30" which is "0" scale, "N"arrow gauge, 30" between the rails....
  14. Hi all, My name is Dennis and I am a 1:48 scale builder for model RR structures. I happened on this forum via a search for "1:48 scale woodstove"......(I'm still looking BTW...) Perhaps someone here knows of a place for "old time" furnishings etc in 1:48? This looks like an interesting forum! Thanks, Dennis :woohoo: