• Dollhouse Building Experience
    One
  • Real Name
    Carolyn
  • Country
    United States

Recent Profile Visitors

677 profile views
  1. I have a box of scraps that I can't bear to part with and now you guys have given some great ideas on what to do with them! What I've done before with small pieces is make them into picture frames. I scoured magazines to find pics of cats, flowers, anything small enough to fit in the size of "frame" I had. I would just glue the pic to the wood piece and either mount it on a wall or glue another little piece of wood as a kickstand to make the pic stand upright on an end table. Carolyn
  2. I almost hate to tell you this, but it was too coincidental. I was doing my usual search for "dollhouses" on craigslist and saw a brookwood that was just listed yesterday for $35 (in Sacramento, CA). If this wasn't Xmas time and I haven't done my shopping yet I might just get it for myself, but maybe someone here who wants one can check it out and contact the seller. Congrats on your new purchase and positive ebay experience! Carolyn
  3. Okay, you've convinced me I'm not a freak! And I never thought of working on more than one at a time...hmmm...it might be time to peruse ebay and amazon.com again! You've given me a great idea!
  4. Thanks for the kudos! Now that this kit is almost done, I'm seriously considering a new dollhouse project. I have plenty of ideas for interior decorating, too, and I don't think this dollhouse will ever be completely done as I can always think of new ways to add on to it (plus I still have the Primrose!). I'm going to sew matching bedspread and window treatments and I have a few furniture kits to put together. I may not start right away on a new dollhouse because it startled me how obsessive I became during the building process. On Sun I worked on the dollhouse from the time I got up until the time I went to bed only stopping to eat! And the only time I wasn't working on it on Saturday was to go and buy paint, stain, and brushes! If I keep this up I'm going to have enter a 12-step program to wean myself from this "hobby." But hey, I could be doing worse things with my time... Has anybody else ever been this obsessive in building?
  5. adairpete

The Laurel

6. Hey Everybody, Thanks for the help in my earlier post about primer, stain, and wallpaper. I got some great advice and have made great progress on the Laurel! I just now have uploaded a bunch of images in an album if anyone wants to gaze on some new eye candy! I got the kit last Monday, and spent my time after work during the week sanding and planning. Ever since Fri night I've been working almost exclusively on this dollhouse! The cat is quite jealous! I really have only the porch and shingles left to do besides some finishing touches of paint and wood filler in a few places. Next are the furniture kits.... Enjoy! Carolyn
  7. Thanks everybody for your advice! I have some ideas now about how to proceed and am planning a trip to the hardware store for primer, stain, and other essentials after work to really get to work on this dollhouse over the weekend. I'll post pics of my progress to share, too! I have a family of 4 that's currently living next to my computer monitor and are ready to move to a permanent dwelling! I drove over 2 hours to a dollhouse shop in Novato, CA (Dollhouses, Trains & More) to buy them. Well, I didn't go all that way just for them, but my cousin's baby shower was a half hour away and so it was a two birds with one stone type of deal. I could literally die at this store I was so overwhelmed by all the miniature stuff from finished houses, building supplies, finished room sets, furniture kits and all kinds of accessories imaginable! They're on the web, too, if anyone wants to check them out (http://www.dollhouses-trains-more.com/default.aspx). Thanks again for all the advice! Carolyn
  8. I'm jealous! That's my dream house that I'm working towards! It's such a beautiful house and I love looking at how everybody has decorated theirs. Good luck on building! Carolyn
  9. Thanks for your response, Jenny! I plan on wallpapering before assembling because I think that will be easier. I'd love to hear about how you stained your wood floors! I was thinking about doing something like that and since you're pleased with the result I'd like to hear how you accomplished the feat!
  10. Hey everybody, I have a few questions I'm hoping people could give me some info on before I get carried away and do something I'll regret. I'm working on the Laurel and Primrose and have almost finished sanding everything and am about to start the fun part of assembling. I have wallpaper picked out for 2 of the rooms and was wondering what, if anything, I should do to the wood before gluing the wallpaper down? Does it need priming, too? Also, what glue/paste is recommended? My next question regards staining. I plan on staining the staircases and should I prime before staining or is priming only done if you're using paint? (I never primed on my first dollhouse, so I'm clueless about primer! :w00t: ) Thanks for any advice you can give me! Carolyn
  11. Thanks for the welcome everybody! I will share pics when I get to my dollhouses again. They're at my parents' house right now, but I'm bringing them back with me when I visit at Christmas. Besides the one I built I have one I bought at an antique store and it's the crown jewel of the 2. It looks like the Harrison and was fully decked out in Victorian-style furniture when I bought it. Someone had obviously put a lot of time in accessorizing and building the dollhouse and I'm still glad I splurged on it when I did. I'd love to share the pics of them with a community that appreciates the obsession of miniatures! ;)
  12. Hi Everyone, I recently stumbled across this forum as I was searching for tutorials as I wait for my dollhouse kit (the Laurel and Primrose) to come in. So I thought I'd join and introduce myself as I will probably be asking questions and searching through the tips and tricks that I've seen. Wonderful advice and friendly community from what I've seen by the way. This will be my second dollhouse. The first I built about 7 years ago when I had a lot less patience and a lot less time and did I mention a lot less patience ;). While that dollhouse is still standing despite my questionable craftsmanship and the young nephews getting ahold of it once in awhile while visiting I want to do this one right. I'm also interested in building my own furniture to furnish the house. I just moved to Merced, CA so I don't where any miniature shops are and would love to hear from anybody in the area, too. Thanks, Carolyn