newt

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by newt

1. HH, in my next incarnation i hope to have at least some of your skills! unfortunately, i am with Greg in this regard - i'm sewing/fabric impaired. i did a bit of cross-stitch and my Katz laughed. Sure, i can replace buttons but not well. if i need a hem shortened, i take the trousers to the nice tailor lady and she fixes things for me. sharon, i know what you mean abt uncommunicative sellers. why the heck do people list auctions and then not respond to potential customers about the items? i shared the link b/c the artisan who makes these lovely rugs IS able to communicate with customers. she also is willing to make the designs in colors you request (assuming she has the materials needed or can get 'em). you can send her photos of what you have in mind, show her what you're after, AND she will send you a photo back to see if the new item suits what you want. i've gotten some nice anatolian rugs on eBay, no problems. guess i've been lucky? and HBS has some pretty rugs. i'm gonna try one and see what i get - from the website and catalogue, it is hard to tell just what their rugs are.
  2. maybe you all know abt these rugs? the colors and designs are so pretty! and the pleasant woman who makes these is willing to make them in various other colors. http://cgi.ebay.com/ROUND-VICTORIAN-ROSE-D...1QQcmdZViewItem
  3. hi, might anyone know where i might find one of these beds? http://cgi.ebay.com/Double-Bed-Quilt-Set-H...1QQcmdZViewItem why it is that about half the time, when i see carpet, furniture and other goodies i want for the Pierce, they are on the other side of the Atlantic? muttering to self: What is this country coming to when a person has to do transoceanic transactions to get a few dollhouse goodies?!? why are all cool the art deco carpets in the UK?
  4. happy fabulous house!! wow, you're starting on a Daylight Saving Time day, too, so you have extra time! very cool. i'm sending you some e-sawdust for luck.
  5. gina, your camille is tres charmante! and i've no doubt that with those shoes, she can defend herself if there are any untoward advances. happy birthday, camille!
  6. she is wonderful, so very stylish and graceful! and her needs are simple. all she wants is a room somewhere ....
  7. it is a really nice color, very gentle on the eyes.
  8. newt

Hey Ma!

well, ok, i'll admit it. i did wonder what the Sour Smell was, and now i know. sorry! nowadays my main resource for questions like this is Linda Cobb, a/k/a "The Queen of Clean." she has all kinds of good ideas and they work. but i'm experienced with stinky laundry. kids, laboratories, cat smells, etc. So! for the laundry, you might try applying a paste of water and baking soda to the (ahem) offensive areas. that sometimes works. or mouthwash (the clear kind) might do it, or you might try white vinegar. BTW, i do not understand about the white vinegar, since it has its own strong smell. but it works when i use it, and somehow its odor goes away. it removes the mineral build-up in the coffee maker. and it's kewl b/c the white vinegar smell makes me think of easter egg dye parties. all that said, i think you might ask that nice man to drink more water, all the time, to keep his body flushed of whatever it needs to flush. it'd be healthy and would probably improve the laundry quandary.
  9. hello, and welcome! your projects are just super, and the doggie is adorable.
  10. for some reason the Katzenjammer Kids scared me , and so did Jiggs in Life with Father. i liked the Little King, and used to loooove the Tumbleweeds cartoon strip. in my teens i papered a room with Tumbleweeds strips. POGO is stellar! it's in a league of its own. Get Fuzzy and Sylvia are current happifiers.
  11. JenniferB, welcome to the forums! wow, Kathie, W T G!!!! that is a super house, congrats!!!! ps: i want to live in it. please let me know where the Prospective Occupant line forms.
  12. !!Excellent!!! have fun with it! what the hey, the housekeeping probably should wait. here is a tip: if you can't write your name in the dust on a surface, wait. it is too soon to clean.
  13. hi, all, GO, team!!! glad to see that everybody's photos have been taken down. it's great to see that the seller paid attention and did the right thing - even if she couldn't admit that she'd been wrong. i understand that posts abt this sort of thing emits bad vibes, but i think we can feel very good about how this particular situation was resolved. and it is helpful to read about what people did to make that happen. FWIW, about eBay and photo theft: back when Linda Cullen's photos were being used without her consent, i complained and eBay responded. they sent several replies. what they eventually said was that they must hear from the owner of the photograph. they also said that they could not tell me (the non-owner) what they'd do but that they might suspend the seller's account or "take other actions." So far as i know, there was no swift resolution with that particular seller. there ought to be consequences if a seller has has stolen another person's work and then won't remove the photos after being asked. unauthorized, unacknowledged use of other people's work for commercial purposes is theft, and eBay policies recognize that. well, i'm really glad this worked out right for everybody here. TEAMwork is very, very cool!
  14. hey, linda, it is great to hear mama is getting a break! that's more like it! i'll bet people will be busy cooking for her, to celebrate her release from hospital food. hope that you all have some rest time and that she gets some fresh air and sunshine. cyberhugs to all of you all!
  15. newt

Orchid

hi, Peachmeister, my farming relatives seem to furnish their homes this way: the dead animal trophies are in the barn. animal skins are on the barn walls. for the older relatives, the living room is formal, frilly, and it is never, ever used, except on special occasions. People live in their kitchens. their bathrooms are fairly formal, since indoor plumbing hasn't been taken for granted and the bathroom is a room where bathing happens. The living room is immaculate and well protected: there are plastic floor runners to protect carpeting and furniture cushions are also covered with plastic. the decor is kinda Roman Catholic Rococco. there are lots of small figurines, faux flowers, and always a crucifix somewhere - the Last Supper picture usually is in the kitchen - and there's a photo of the President and one of the Pope. There are almost always Studio photos of (1) the couple on their wedding day, (2) children (now grown) and the grandkids, whose pictures were taken at Olan Mills. If anybody has won any State Fair ribbons, then those are in a display case on the wall, along with the military service medals and memorabilia. the younger families tend to use new, contemporary stuff and that is favored in living rooms. it's all bright, functional, and yep, there really is lots and lots of plaid. The school photos are on a wall or mantel. If anybody has won any State Fair ribbons or school awards, those are in a display case on the wall. The bathrooms are also very colorful and cheery, as opposed to having a more trendy and utilitarian look.
  16. newt

Missymew

love the kitty toy, what lucky furbabies! the Katz have said they must have one. they are very quick to note anything that makes me even more superfluous. i'm not 100% sure, but i think that if anybody ever designs a kitty-activated can opener, i'll be sent to the scrap heap -- although i can and do serve as warm furniture for them.
  17. Sharon, look at what you've evoked, fun! heidi, your grandmother sounds like my great-grandmother, Nana. She was a pistol-- she had a flask in her cane. She whacked me with her cane and called me "child." as in, "Child, come here and help me up!" or "Child, what are you doing? Come here where i can see you!" Nana sewed like an angel and i got wonderful, itchy lacey nighties from her. She lived in one narrow and long room in her house, and rented out the rest. that woman had an entire kitchen and church stashed beneath the pillows in her bed, and the fastest cane whacking action known to humankind. she terrorized my grandfather. :welcome:
  18. :welcome: and mini happy returns!
  19. all of what she said! Deb, how about those doors!?!
  20. uh-oh! i'm breakin commandments -- there's some significant coveting going on here! !!! wowsers, congratulations!!!!!! that house is too cool and the color is TDF. i think that she is at the coast somewhere, the shingles are green, or they're rounded terra cotta tile, and the windows are asking for awnings. she could have a restaurant downstairs (with a service window for boardwalk customers) and a boarding house upstairs.
  21. newt

Jail

:welcome: :yay: :popcorn: it's great! will there be a little, barred window at the back of the jail, for people to use to escape? you ARE on a roll, what fun!
  22. newt

I'm baaaack!

welcome back!! and where, please, are the "i just took 'em while waving bye bye" photographs of that little angel?