GirlPiper

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by GirlPiper

1. You can also lay a piece of paper along your line,and fold/crease the odd joint then transfer it to your molding. Casey's trick of a plinth is really good way to handle it, too.
  2. Sometimes stuff turns out great BECAUSE of frustration.
  3. Stairs are HARD. You're over the worst. The rest is a lot of flat you can play with.
  4. Thanks everyone for the kind words. It was a big load off. I see the GP tomorrow, cardio guy next week, and hope I'm done with doctors for a while! The wallpaper was probably lovely in 1974, but needed to be gone. The room gets a lot of sun, so I'm going with a cool color, but haven't decided between Delft blue or a very pale mossy green. This happens with the minis, too. Decisions, decisions, and I'll see a color that is totally different--choice made!
  5. The biopsy from last week's colonoscopy came back benign!! I don't have to have another for 3 whole years. I'm down to the last wall in the dining room wallpaper fiasco. Never have had such a hard slog with wall paper before. The boiler had an issue again after the $895 repair and no heat over Thanksgiving. The tech came yesterday juggled some stuff and the funky noise quit, but I used another vacation day. Got up to an 8-9" snowfall and a below zero wind chill blowing the stuff across the road. Called in chicken--everything in the county was closed except our university. (sigh.) You may have seen the 125 car fatal pileup complete with fireworks on I-94 this morning. That was about 5 miles from my house, so I'm glad I stayed home.
  6. I have the smallest Fiskars and use it on cardboard/posterboard a lot. I've never had great luck with the kind they use at schools that you pull down the handle. Once the blade is dull, which seems to happen quickly, they pull at the paper and it gets out of line real quick. If you cut a piece of aluminum foil thru many times, it will sharpen the blade.
  7. Take a deep breath. Look at the instructions; put them aside; get a cuupa something; look at the parts; and re-read the instructions. You are bigger than that box, and it's nothing but a box of wood until YOU start assembling it. You don't need real wallpaper paste. Glue works. Look at the postings here and gather some background--like most of us don't use a hot melt glue as it doesn't hold up real well. If you make a mistake, either redo it or cover it up, or make it a part of your design. Most of all, feel free to ask questions here, and have fun.
  8. Real life stair treads don't match perfectly, so if your efforts reveal some differences, it would be realistic.
  9. Thanks for the support. The good thing about waiting for a biopsy is they must not think it's bad. Last year, they knew it was bad before the anesthesia wore off, and were already scheduling surgery and an oncologist that day.
  10. One could buy several Greenleaf kits for the price of that neat cupboard.
  11. Molar pulled last Monday; colonoscopy Tuesday (2 weeks for results!); came home and decided the dining room wallpaper needed to come down. (Must have been the anesthetic.) I've been here 15 years and the paper is probably from the 70's. Anyway, it's not 'strippable' vinyl, so I only have 2 walls done. Whoever put it up pasted over some unpainted drywall and various vintage plaster/spackel patches. Did NOT realize how large that dining room is. Back to work tomorrow.
  12. I also have used toothpicks. The gauge just seems better. You'll have to trim the tops to the angle for your handrail wether you use the Houseworks spindle, cocktail picks, or tooth picks. Lay the stairs on their side, spindles down, on a line drawn on paper, or use the handrail as a guide to get the angle and do the trimming.
  13. You'll want it level so it doesn't get tippy and dump your decorating later on.
  14. GirlPiper

babypolar

I thought it was a toy!
  15. Crazy busy at work awarding (and problem solving) the December graduating class. We work until 5 tomorrow and then the university is closed for about a week. After work tomorrow I'm playing a surprise gig for a young lady who called about her just-diagnosed terminally ill father. Let's hope the pipes cheer rather than depressing him! Found out the other day I have to have a molar pulled Monday then Tuesday the first anniversary colonoscopy to make sure the surgery worked. I should have that hollow-cheeked and ribby model look on Wednesday (HAH!) Wishing all of you a happy holiday, good health and a prosperous new year. From what I've been reading here we could all use it! Light that candle in the corner, please!
  16. We sat on the steps at great-grandma's.
  17. Lovely designs--please keep us posted as to when they will be available. (Oh! and welcome!)
  18. Holy Toledo! The old metal smiths would be in awe of the work.