GirlPiper

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by GirlPiper

1. Extending my sympathies to you and yours.
  2. Clever, clever, clever! Wouldn't you have swept the porch? But, if you haven't, how about some fine sawdust colored with pencil "lead" sharpening carbon?
  3. Here in the Midwest, the risers are often painted, the spindles, too, with stained treads and handrails. In lumberjack/furniture country, different woods were used for the spindles, newels, treads and risers, and the same color stain on the diverse wood changes the color. (Just south of Grand Rapids, home of many fine furniture and wood turnings since the 1850's.)
  4. You might still want a piece of plywood--scrap sized--to clamp stuff to, and cutting with an Exacto or small hand saw. It also helps if you need to move your items to use the table for something else.
  5. I have old family china, too, and can swear none of it has never been in a dishwasher. The crazing just happens. Use mine every year.
  6. Please accept my sympathies. It must be a shock for you so take care of yourself.
  7. How wonderful it worked out well in the end. (This place would not be the same without you.)
  8. Several of us played at the National cemetery this morning--weather not horrible, but it started raining, then sleet on the way to the next place-fortunately it was moved inside. Selkie--hope all went well with the surgery and the pain is tolerable. Jeremy--hang in there--maybe they will take advantage of your experience and bump your pay accordingly.
  9. Rub lemon juice or waterless mechanic's handcleaner on your hands then wash with soap. (I live in a mitten-shaped state, so yes, I know what you are smelling.)
  10. There are some in the gallery made of bricks/stones from egg or drink cartons, too. I'd do that again. Fun and a nice effect.
  11. Well, Holly, treat it like a departure base housing inspection, and take your ammonia and plastic bag for the stove. . .don't envy your task, and wish I was close enough to help.
  12. You captured the need to make things for me, in a succinct package. Thanks, Steve. I didn't have it as hard as you, but we lived by the "make do" attitude.
  13. I make things I could never fit into a real house (who wants to clean a CASTLE?!), and i like that you can pack it all up and unpack it again and again.
  14. Cleaned for fall today and moved some furniture around to accommodate the houses. Just watched the Breeders Cup at Santa Anita--great race! I don't bet, but love to watch the T'breds run. We've had a few retired race track T'breds, and they are great when retrained for hunter/jumper/pleasure. (The trick is to get them to slow down and teach them to turn right sometimes!)
  15. Beautiful--AGAIN! (Holly--guinea pigs don't do wheels--hamsters and gerbils do. The 'pigs like a tunnel to hide, and run thru.)
  16. How about cutting the second floor opening down to about a raised hearth height, and cover the top opening with an elaborate mantel and mirror if you really hate it the way it is.
  17. My favorite part was the dad painting the underside of the eaves so confidently with no tape, and right side up.
  18. Dimensional lumber. W are usually building old" look houses.