Astroglia

Silver Member
  • Last visited

3 Neutral

About Astroglia

Profile Information

• Interests
    fine/decorative arts, science fiction, Pablo Neruda, astronomy, birding, Stewart/Colbert/Maddow, molecular gastronomy, Tchaikovsky

Previous Fields

• Country
    Please Select

Recent Profile Visitors

473 profile views
  1. Thank you all for the warm welcome!
  2. KathieB, thanks so much! I will definitely take that into consideration!
  3. There must be bots creating accounts or something, haha. Those accounts seem to have an international city or region as their "Real Name". I wonder if they are used for the purpose of "liking" posts/users en mass, esp on social media sites?
  4. havanaholly, that is really helpful advice! I'm saving your list. Thanks again!
  5. Thanks Sarah, Janet, and Holly! Mike, I believe, a user is categorizes as "Banned" under the "Group:" line of the user's profile. Here's to me being on good behavior, though in my free time, I can be found party rocking...
  6. Hello, I browse at slow times of the day and saw a number of banned users at the bottom of the page who appeared to have been active recently. I also saw a seemingly more established account show up as banned. Is there a link to user conduct that I missed? I want to make sure I'm on the right side of the tracks! Also...is there no way to private message a user onsite without using a third party provider? Thanks!
  7. I go by my handle, Astroglia. I'm very happy to join the forum. I'm from a southwestern suburb of Chicago, Illinois. I hope to learn a lot as I work to restore/furnish a preassembled Duracraft Heritage (thanks for the identification, mesp2k). When I was younger, I played with Barbies and American Girl Dolls as well as Legos. I'm fascinated by the Thorne miniature rooms in the Art Institute of Chicago. I'm awed by those who build dollhouses from scratch!
  8. Thank you all so much mesp2k, WyckedWood, and havanaholly for the information and the welcome. I'm glad to become part of the community. Today, I lurked a bit on the forum and saw that otterine had posted the exact listing on CraigsList that I bought the dollhouse from! Rereading that CL listing, I don't know how I got the luck of getting to the dollhouse first or for that price! At the time, I had asked the seller for the model, manufactuer, and what material the dollhouse was made of, as I wanted to compare prices online but she replied that she did not know. She had a shopzilla link for general dollhouses but it was rather confusing. She gave a more specifc offer of $25; when I saw the house in person, the chimney was broken, part of the gutter had broken off, etc so I asked for $20 and the rest is history. I plan on working on the house intermittently and I'm so exicited! I think whomever built the house did a fantastic job and the structure is much sturdier than I would have imagined. Are there specialty tools you recommend I get? Are those smallsh clamps useful? I plan on reattaching the chimney to the top of the roof. According to the seller, she knocked it off during transport some time ago. Do you think wood glue is appropriate to use? Or should I use Quick Grab (?) or something else? Edit to add: That is, I'm wondering what tools are good for repairing/maintaining dollhouses, not necessarily assembling them. Thanks again!
  9. Oops, I didn't know that the photos display alphabetically; the second and the last photos are actually of my dollhouse. Thanks!
  10. Hello, I stumbled across this forum after purchasing an assembled but unfinished dollhouse. The seller has had it in storage for some time. I was wondering if anyone can tell from photos which company made the house pattern and what style/type it is? The last two photos are of my dollhouse, courtesy of the seller. The others, I googled "Victorian Dollhouses" and thought those photos looked similar; the images belong to their respective owners. I am completely unfamiliar with this hobby so I hope to learn a lot from this forum. Thank you for the help! PS Out of curiosity, what would a house of my specific model in moderate to good condition typically sell for? I paid $20; is that a fair price? Neither the seller nor I knew much about dollhouses so she suggested the amount. I thought the house was really neat and I've mostly seen dollhouses like that in museums (I loved the Thorne miniature rooms in the Art Institiute of Chicago). Now I have one and I'm nervous and excited; I don't know where to start, haha.