• Dollhouse Building Experience
    Four
  • Real Name
    Lisa
  • Country
    United States

Recent Profile Visitors

1,590 profile views
  1. I bought a house some time ago (years ago) - a salvage - the person really needed to get rid of it. The problem is I don't like it. It is built from chipboard and is very fragile and damaged. I have tried to strengthen and repair it but I can't get enthusiastic. It has some redeeming qualities though. The maker's name is on the bottom. When I pulled up the carpet samples (not dollhouse scale) the "children" (not sure who) had labelled the rooms with a sharpie. Sigh! It looks great when you photograph it but it really isn't. It is so sad. I feel sorry for the house but it is holding me back. I don't want to dump it as chipboard in the landfill is not good but I'm not sure I can give it to say a thrift store - It is big! Advice please! Lisa R.
  2. Oh great stuff- congrats! Lisa R.
  3. The big problem is when the doll comes first - oh boy is it difficult to satisfy them - they have an opinion at every step of the build. Lisa R.
  4. What an interesting thread - so much useful advice - maybe a tutorial in the works?
  5. From Beverly's - with their Fall 50% off coupon just $2.49!
  6. Trish - My husband was able to view this automata in the home of its designer (it was designed in the program Mathematica) - it is amazing. It writes poetry (I have an example) in Pushkin's own handwriting style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivIHcHwR6b0. There are other YouTube videos that show the work of the studio that actually did the implementation - more amazing work!
  7. Just thought you might like to see some photographs of the (annual) exhibition I curate at the San Lorenzo Valley Museum. This year it was focussed on building things and there is a large area where folks - primarily young folks - can build and then display (with their hand written exhibit label) - what they have built. Enjoy! http://www.flickr.com/photos/12208289@N08/sets/72157635724548705/ Lisa R.
  8. Gosh I can't remember whence I was last here - haven't had a chance to work on my projects for so long. Unfortunately, and I don't know why, the wallpaper on the Gothic house I was working on had developed a crusty coat and bubbles. I did prime the walls and seal the wallpaper. So spent today ripping it off it was a Brodnax paper - nice but oh well). It came off easily but I had finished the surround with overlapping wood - so not sure what I will do now. My daughter's dollhouse (she hasn't had a chance to work on it in several years) is even worse - she has many rooms to re-do - same problem. My surfaces were beech plywood - her's were MDF. Same primer, same sealer and same wallpaper glue. Lisa R.
  9. I wrote this some time ago as the background text for a miniatures exhibit - an abbreviated version was used for the text panels. Please feel free to use the content for non-commercial uses. http://www.lulu.com/shop/lisa-robinson/a-brief-history-of-modern-miniatures/ebook/product-20132678.html Lisa R/
  10. Hi Jo We went on Sunday. Love your Sir Steampunk. He'd look great in my Gothic Revival house, in the library with the chemistry set, fossils, etc! Lisa R.