alycemina

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

Everything posted by alycemina

1. Looks great. If you want to even the texture (I like it the way it is) use a thick paint - with some spackle or plaster of paris - and touch it up as you wish.
  2. I am a 59 year old who plays with dolls...I adore vintage and new Caco (Fritz Canzler) dolls and even get them from Germany and England if I cant find the ones I want in the US.
  3. I love stairs and often design and make my own for my dhs. However, the exception is the occassional vintage rehab where there might not be room for a staircase or I think it will ruin the vintage design. The rehab I am doing now is a farm house and it didnt have stairs and I couldnt find a place for any that wouldnt hurt the design and I would have to make some serious cutting up through 1/2 inch plywood to make an opening. Most often stairs are a must (but in the poll I voted depends on mood)
  4. I love your blog and check it out often. Thanks for the cupcake tut - the idea is super and I too have been looking at cupcakes on line and can now make my own!
  5. Greyhound bus freight could be the least expensive. Also try shipit.com and upship.com. These last two are services that hook up truckers to pick up stuff along their routes. I have used uship twice and was very pleased. Expect to pay about 0.50$ to $1 per mile.
  6. I have had good results using wood filler to make stones - it is a little grainy and paints/washes well. I make various size balls and squish them. For washes I often use plain glaze and add paint or a colored glaze. With Mocha brown (a little) and plain you can get a good tea stain that is a little shiny. I love plain glaze! Gel medium is also super - mixed with paint you can mimic stains but not so transparent as to show flaws in the wood. Gel medium gives a matte finish.
  7. I sometimes use Heidi Ott wigs - if you do your doll about the right size, they fit very well and come in many styles and are inexpensive ($12 or so).
  8. I agress with what everyone has said. For me, sometimes it is the element of surprise. I have had people squeal with delight over just one or two things in one of my houses. My Adams entry was empty (abandoned house) yet the broken windows and crackled doors got wows from people. Some people appreciate an elemet of craftsmanship like a tudor wood wall. I gues you know it when you see it.
  9. Congtrats to both of you - your entries were fab!
  10. Love them...nothing like a little luggage in a dh hallway to add a lot of interest and detail... then you can have dolls dresses in traveling clothes too. As always, you make great stuff.
  11. I bought a relatively inexpensive brass like 10 arm chandelier (about $30) and spent hours adding crystals (which arent cheap either but plastic "crystals" are also nice). It came out great - I lightly painted the brass with diluted white Testors enamel paint to give it an aged looked. I will take a picture and post it.
  12. I used them to light dark corners and for highlighting certain items. This is what they are for - a subtle supplement to lamps and ceiling fixtures.
  13. http://stores.ebay.com/The-Morezmore-Estate I bought my eyes from this linnk. They have grey, blue, brown and green. I used 4mm but either 3 or 4mm should be fine. good luck,
  14. I posted a couple of days ago about these lights. They are super, I used the single recessed lights in warm (not bright) and they are easy to install. Remember that they are recessed and need about 1/2 inch to get fully recessed so either need thick ceiling or false ceiling to get completely recessed.
  15. I am getting a little better at FIMO sculpting dolls but what I realize is that it takes several times longer to make clothes for the doll than making the doll. So now, I am going to only work on the best dolls I make. I also bought some glass doll eyes (4mm) and they make such a difference in the doll face. If I dont like the way the doll comes out, I can pry the eyes out and reuse. Is this what you all doll makers have found too? ps My singer featherweight sewing machine arrived and it is so cute. I cant wait to try it out.
  16. My mother loved dishes and furniture and oriental rugs. When I was a kid, we would go "junking" together (second hand stores) and to Altmans (no longer in business but once a big department store) to look at dishes. I have two sets of Wedgewood and since I traveled in England a lot I would pick up accessory pieces. By the way, I have hardly used either set in 30 years. I also have several sets of vintage dishes including some beautiful prewar Japanese from a thrift store for $25. Never used, of course. Now I collect mini rugs, furniture and dishes. Still broke but at least I use them!
  17. I couldnt help bidding on a Winston cottage - I have always liked it, and although I am more into rehabing vintage and large dhs won the bid. Anyone else ever made one?
  18. Love your china album - what room makers!
  19. Hi all, I tried out these recessed lights in "warm light" and they are super for spot lighting. Many vendors sell them but for a quick look at the variety, there is a link below. http://www.thelittledollhousecompany.com/Novalite.html
  20. Love the tip. I have a niece that vaccums her carpets for relaxation and believe it or not, sanding little parts for me is a zen experience - I have to be careful or I'll sand too much.
  21. Hi all, I did some research on the web and found out that the vintage Singer Featherweigth sewing machine is much loved by quilters and some references to making doll clothes as well. Looking at pictures on ebay, you can see the stitch length goes up to 30/inch and that the throat plate is very narrow and low profile (since it doesnt have to accomodate fancy stitching like zig zag). I have a bid on one that seems in especially good condition but if I lose it, there are tons of them. Made circa 1930s and early 1960 they are also collectors item for the fancy designs, but I just want one that works well, so dont have to compete with the collectors. I'll let you know if I win and it works well for mini clothes. Thanks for all the replies to my previous post as well as the super hints on using beading needles and thin thread for hand sewing.
  22. Congrats! Sonice to see that a talented miniaturist gets recognition!
  23. You can cut a piano hinge to the right length using a hack saw. I have done it many times. You can also buy smaller ones then the thick ones a lowes or HD - search on line. Good luck.