• Digital Camera Yes
  • Real Name Karin
  • Country United States

Recent Profile Visitors

11458 profile views
  1. Taking the mystery out of punchneedle rugs

Thanks Tracy! I appreciate it  
  2. Taking the mystery out of punchneedle rugs

Thank you! And happy to help, hope you enjoy the process. My first time it took me awhile to figure out the stitch and threading the needle, hope the pictures help, in combination with the diagrams, instructions that come with the needle. 
  3. Taking the mystery out of punchneedle rugs

I've tried it on muslin and linen, in my experience they don't work. Unfortunately! I don't like having to send away for things, but once you have them all of the other supplies are common and readily available  hope you give it a try. Yes you definitely need some stylish rugs  
  4. Taking the mystery out of punchneedle rugs

I know some people say they can punchneedle while watching tv and do it sitting in the living room, I'm not sure about a train. I have to sit at the kitchen table with a good light, I lean one edge of the embroidery hoop against the table and work with the hoop at a slant (if the needle hit the table straight on it could break the needle). Maybe if you used a frame instead of a hoop you would have more freedom of motion but I prefer the hoops, I can never get the frames right. 
  5. Taking the mystery out of punchneedle rugs

You're welcome again everyone, happy to share, and if you get a yard of weavers cloth it will make a lot of 1:12 rugs! 
  6. Taking the mystery out of punchneedle rugs

You're all very welcome and if anyone tries and has trouble there are a few of us who have experience that I'm sure are happy to help. Once you have the few supplies needed it's a very inexpensive project. And if you decided to sell your finished rugs I'm sure you wouldn't have trouble finding buyers  
  7. Taking the mystery out of punchneedle rugs

So I forgot to mention that you work from the back side of the rug, then the design comes to life on the front. I love the way the rugs have kind of a French knot look. On the more detailed area a one strand extra small punchneedle is used. On the larger areas to fill in faster I use a small punchneedle set at 1 (length) with three strands of floss. On the scroll-y parts of the design I have the length of stitch raised to #3.
  8. Taking the mystery out of punchneedle rugs

Links  http://www.punchneedlemarketplace.com/ for weavers cloth, punchneedles and they may even have kits but be sure you're buying dollhouse size.  For kits and extra small punchneedle http://www.carolsherryminiatures.com/main.html Extra small punchneedles and weavers cloth can also be found on eBay.  I hope someone decides to try this fun way to make your own beautiful, handmade rugs! 
  9. Taking the mystery out of punchneedle rugs

Ok last two pictures and then I'll add links.  The first is a punchneedle rug I did with an elaborate design but the lady who designed it unfortunately doesn't sell her patterns anymore. The second is just to show a close up of the tiny loops and the third is the work in progress I'm doing now. 
  10. Taking the mystery out of punchneedle rugs

About transfers. Sometimes the pattern books u get on eBay or Amazon may be old. They're supposed to be able to be used up to 4 times. If the pattern comes out too light after you iron it on you could go over the lines with pencil or a pen that washes off with water. If you don't have an iron on transfer you could trace a design with a red transfer pencil like Aunt Martha's and then iron on your weavers cloth. The Dodie Claypool book doesn't have iron ons, you just trace them on your cloth with carbon paper. Directions are in that book. The books have small and large rugs. Obviously the first one you'd probably want to start out with a small rug or welcome mat. 
  11. Taking the mystery out of punchneedle rugs

If you make a mistake, you can just pull up the floss. There are never any knots made, once you punch it is secured unless you pull it out. Here I decided to use a different color on this section. 
  12. Taking the mystery out of punchneedle rugs

Ya it really is this easy. You just "punch"down into the fabric. 
  13. Taking the mystery out of punchneedle rugs

Adjusting the length of your punchneedle. Adjusting the length gives you control of how high your stitches are. Adjusting stitch length gives some visual interest with raised and lowered areas on the rug. The raised areas can even be shaped and clipped down for velvet like effects. To raise the small needle you just adjust the level on the tool, I haven't gone higher than #3. To adjust the extra small needle you move the dark blue rubber tube up or down.
  14. Taking the mystery out of punchneedle rugs

This is threading the top part of the needle. The last picture is the finished, threaded needle. I can sometimes just thread the top part by eyesight but if I'm working for a few hours and my eyes are tired I use the threader for that part too.
  15. Taking the mystery out of punchneedle rugs

It's not letting me upload anymore I'll have to figure out why then I'll be back