• Dollhouse Preference I like them both
  • Online Community Building Projects Yes
  • Digital Camera Yes
  • Real Name Karin
  • Country United States

Recent Profile Visitors

15073 profile views
  1. What are you up to today? This week?

The volcano activity is so interesting. I’ve been so busy I haven’t followed the story as closely as I otherwise would be. Preparing for a visit from my fairly judgmental mom and sister, so I’ve been catching up on my house cleaning and yard work. After they arrive the three of us make a girls (were 49, 53 and 78) weekend/annual pilgrimage to a small, beautiful valley surrounded by mountains in Wyoming where we decorate the graves of our ancestors. On both my mom and dads side they were early 1880s settlers to the valley and all stayed for generations, both parents are from there. My parents left but I returned to spend the summers with Grandma.  We couldn’t do all of our relatives graves, that would be too many to organize but we do all of the direct ancestors and have adopted many of the neglected relatives graves that no one decorates, like the children with no decendants etc. Or ones who’s stories speak to us. There are two sisters who are great,great aunts, Olivia and Pearl, they drowned in a river while crossing in a wagon team. Their simple stones were placed at the foot of a (now) large tree and have become part of the roots. Of course we have to decorate those! These graves have been decorated every year since the 1880s, we won’t be the ones to break the tradition if at all possible but I’m afraid we’ll be the last generation to do so. We decorate about 25 graves. We arrive Friday, get settled, then laying the arrangements out early Saturday and picking them up Tuesday afternoon. Then we have to organize them and dry them (there will always be several rainstorms while we’re there) in front of the fireplace or with hair dryers before storing them away for the year. My uncle who lives locally let’s us store them in his garage for the year. Each arrangement is in its own labeled, clear Rubbermaid container. We also do general upkeep and cleaning of the headstones so there is a big Rubbermaid full of supplies for that. It’s actually quite a production lol.  My uncle will make us a dinner of fresh caught fish from Yellowstone Lake and fried spuds. Other than that all meals are eaten out and my Mom puts us up in a nice mountain style log condo. It’s a fun time and a nice break from home, although usually carries some emotional episodes as well. I’m not sure how many more times my Mom will be up for doing this, so I try to appreciate every minute. We come home Wednesday and they usually stay with us a few more days to see my kids and then my sister goes back to L.A. and my Mom to Scottsdale.  
  2. Mermaids got hair

I don’t know how to do the wet look but mine looked kinda wet after just spraying it with a travel size mister that had distilled water and a little fabric stiffener added to it. I would think spray gel (human use) would work too. If you wanted to curl it more you could dampen the hair and wrap small sections around straws or knitting needles..something like that. Takes awhile to dry tho, like over night.  She looks really cool! I love that hair color with the gold. You’re doing awesome! Wasn’t it fun to add the hair and see her come to life ?  
  3. What's everyone working on?

That's a nice thought  I ran across one of these glass pianos on eBay, this was years ago...it was lavender, so pretty. 
  4. What's everyone working on?

Thanks I appreciate the kind words!  
  5. What's everyone working on?

Thank you, I was happy she fit the piano so well.
  6. What's everyone working on?

I was able to spend Mothers day finishing up my piano playing fairy. Was a very pleasant day!  
  7. mermaid tail attached

The tail is awesome! Looks like a Pros work! 
  8. draping

Thanks, she’s not overly fairy-ish lol but she did turn out ok. Next time I’ll try to loosen up a little  
  9. draping

From the album Porcelain bisque dolls and miniatures in 1/12 scale

This was a really easy way to make her gown. I used a circle template on one of my quilt mats, layed the habotai silk over the mat and drew the circle right on the silk with a water erasable sewing marker. A very small slit in the center (like 3/4 inch) allowed me to pull it down over her head and arrange under her bustline. Then I sealed the edge with clear nail polish and finished it off with French cotton lace glued on with tacky glue.   I had several different laces I used for bodice and neck collar. Im going to do her hair before I do the final draping. I still also have to make her sleeves.  I had planned to dip her feet in glue and then glitter for shoes but I decided that I like her barefoot.
  10. gown

This was a really easy way to make her gown. I used a circle template on one of my quilt mats, layed the habotai silk over the mat and drew the circle right on the silk with a water erasable sewing marker. A very small slit in the center (like 3/4 inch) allowed me to pull it down over her head and arrange under her bustline. Then sealed the edge with clear nail polish and finished it off with French cotton lace glued on with tacky glue.
  11. seated

This dolls porcelain form ends below the bust line so she is assembled with pipe cleaners and cotton balls wrapped around them, and arranged/sculpted to form waist, hips and lap. I made her pantaloons from bearissima batiste.
  12. piano room

the blue green window is the music room where the fairy will be playing piano, its an open air room, so the music can float up and be carried away on a breeze :)
  13. Best Mother's day present ever!

Congrats, that's happy news!
  14. The woodstove

That looks great!
  15. mermaid tail test

I like the third one too. That's a really interesting effect.