WyckedWood

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Posts posted by WyckedWood

1. My understanding is that Sherri Colvin retired from doll making. That is what it states on her website minidollkits. 

As porcelain dollmaking becomes more rare they are getting more expensive. All but a few mold makers are gone as of this year and with Sherri leaving that is one more doll source for supplies etc gone.  If you are willing to watch carefully you can find costumed dolls available on eBay (still) for good prices. A few ebay resellers get astronomical prices for dolls but I believe that is because their regular clientele does not shop around. Do a search for “porcelain dollhouse doll 1/12 artist” key words to that effect, save the search and you might get lucky with a good buy it now price or find an overlooked treasure. 

2. Hi Linda nice to see you around! 
    I have been going back and forth between hobbies and life size house stuff including several moves, but I’m working on a very large dollhouse and other mini stuff at the moment. Isn’t it nice that we can always count on Greenleaf forum to be here when we need some dollhouse camaraderie and inspiration  :)  

• Like 2
  3. If you are referring to Portland OR I think there is a shop open by appointment in Vancouver, across the bridge. Otherwise you’d have to take a trip to Lincoln City on the coast and visit Rocking Horse mall which has a great little mini shop but they are closed mid week so be sure to check first- I made that mistake on one occasion. The Portland Miniature Show was late September. 

4. Anyone know what’s up with the Jar-Jaf miniatures website, is it coming back at all? Ive emailed as they say to do but no response. Is there anywhere else to purchase items like they sold- specifically filigree metal (brass type) long strips and lamp parts like harps etc.? 

5. The history of our hobby is documented in those old magazines, in the articles, advertisements and photos. They are a treasure trove of knowledge, talent and innovation. I have so many now it’s become kind of a problem...but I love them all, you really can’t go wrong. So many stores come and gone, so many artisans come and gone. I feel very sentimental about the way the magazines documented it all. Before the internet especially. 

From time to time each publication would change editors and some editors were better than others. So there may be a year here or there where the content wasn’t as good. 

6. Ive been bawling for days. I just can’t believe her sunny spirit left us, along with the mini worlds she created and loved. A true kindred spirit and will be truly missed. I was also glad that we have her work here since her family is deleting her page per her request. She is legendary for the back to back Beacon Hills and was also a contest winner here at Greenleaf, back in the day. She loved Alice in Wonderland and I’m going to make a scene in her honor. Her miniature business she called La Dee Dah miniatures on fb and I’m thinking it’s possible the family may forget to delete that one or leave it up. I went through her photos yesterday and said goodbye with many tears. ❤️This is one of her (several) Alice scenes. Karin 

90953467-3DCF-4452-B99D-976C7E3139CB.jpeg

• Like 2
  7. I thought Tracy did the Adams, or was it the Madison? Try searching for Madison photos also, they are very similar the Madison is just larger. I always use google images to search for dollhouse ideas because usually the ones on Greenleaf will show up in a google search if they have been titled with their kit names. 

8. On 6/15/2022 at 4:15 PM, sheelaymignon said:

I finished my first Orchid dollhouse kit last month, which is what I spent most of my two weeks off with COVID doing. I built it intentionally funky to make it haunted looking, which was nice and freed me from my usual trappings of perfectionism! I can't wait to make my next one, the vinyard cottage

Where are you in Oregon? If you’re in the Eugene area we have an active miniatures club! 

9. Wow, this is an old thread- and happy to say since it was originally written I have moved back to Oregon! The only shop left here is in Lincoln City, on the coast. It was mentioned in this thread, it’s within a store called Rocking Horse Mall. I have visited and they do have quite a lot of items so definitely worth going. There is at least one day of the week - Wednesday or Thursday- I forget which,that they are closed, so check first. 
    Im a member of Eugene Miniatures Club, which does have members from the coast area and even Portland. We do several meetings per month on zoom and several in person, as well as sharing emails and projects with each other- so it is an active club. Vast amount of collective knowledge and one of our members is an IGMA artisan. 
    Aside from that, the Portland miniatures show is in September this year.

Google search for  Eugene Miniatures Club and Portland Miniatures show.
    Karin

• Like 1
  10. It’s a good idea if you’re new to all of this to order yourself a free catalog from hobby builders supply. I learned a lot when I was starting out just by studying the different options in the catalog and sometimes there are tidbits along with the item description that explains how it is used. It helped me to understand electrical and other facets of building and what was available. In addition to hobby builders supply (which is also referred to as miniatures.com it’s the same place) anything you could need in the construction of your house is available on eBay. Just search dollhouse miniatures flooring on eBay. Good luck. 

11. I picked this house up today, and it is really quite something. Two rooms deep. A wreck on the outside but pristine wood (after a cleaning) blank canvas on interior. It has a brass plate showing that it was made by the And More co. Thanks much for the house ID, I had never heard of this company. 

B81A8C3B-DFEC-4852-B520-6EF1D2C673AC.jpeg

12. I cast porcelain dolls in all shades. A finished porcelain doll can get expensive because of the vast amount of work involved from start to finish. So probably not suitable for kids, depending on age and the way they play. But if someone is willing to paint, assemble and costume their own, or at least assemble and costume their own, they can be much more affordable-  and by the way very fun to make and a potential rabbit hole for you to fall down....right Carrie? Lol 

KarinLambert/BlueMoonDollStudio Instagram 

• Like 2
  13. I would put a paint stripper on the wood. I like the citrus type paint removers, they go on like a gel and stay put. Once the original stain is mostly gone, assess how much stain you want to add back to the wood. Sand sharp edges to be more rounded and used looking. I prefer using burnt umber oil paint instead of regular wood stain. Brush on, wipe off.  As far as the globe thats trickier- would depend on how it’s made, but possibly an antiquing medium would work- sold next to craft paint. 
    have fun- I totally get it about getting re obsessed with your dollhouse. It comes in waves for me lol- Karin 

14. This is how nice and down to earth Rik was: A friend of mine from high school worked for a carpet installation company in Portland. He happened to find himself one day putting in new carpets in Rik Pierces house in Vancouver WA. He had a long conversation with Rik about Riks past in art and how he got started etc. He allowed my friends little girl to come and visit the dollhouses- keep in mind this was a random carpet installer lol- my friend knew I was a dollhouse person and later told me about it and showed me photos of his little girl and Rik and the dollhouses.  
    I had always wanted to take a class but back before Rik retired that was not in my budget. I did gain years of inspiration from studying his work in photos. And if you look through the old small stuff digest archives his advice and help and knowledge is still there to see. At least as long as the archives are viewable.