• Interests

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    Please Select
  • Real Name
    Tom
  • Country
    United States
  1. I am really surprised at that NAVY guy not believing you about the spelling of "gluing".
  2. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY SHOWS IN AUGUST FROM MARYLAND TO NEW HAMPSHIRE? MY WIFE AND I ARE FLYING TO BWI TO VISIT MY DAUGHTER, SON-IN-LAW, AND OUR GRANDAUGHTER ALLIE. THEN WE WILL TREK UP TO NEW HAMPSHIRE TO VISIT MY SON AND OUR DAUGHTER-IN-LAW. WE'LL BE TAKING TWO WEEKS IN THAT AREA BEFORE COMING HOME TO UTAH
  3. I FINALLY BOUGHT MY FIRST DREMEL TOOL AFTER WANTING ONE FOR 40 YEARS. BOUGHT THE MODEL MULTIPRO 3956-02 FROM AMAZON, ALSO GOT THE 697-06 TOOL KIT FOR MUCH LESS THAN $100. IT HAS BEEN PUT TO MANY USES AND IS SUPER.
  4. I REALLY just want to be free of the Coventry. It was a bad experience and I know I won't go back to it. I will try another one because I really want my Grandaughter to have one from "Gramps" If anyone wants just to pay the shipping cost, I'll send it along. Tom
  5. I just re-read the front of the shipping box........."Snap the interlocking pieces of this dollhouse easily into place to create an absolutely delightful Victorian cottage".........mustn't believe all you read The dollhouse is all packed away........... Tom
  6. To all...Thank you all for you support. I really have spent many hours on this. NOTHING seems to fit together AT ALL. Slots too narrow, tabs too long, etc. The walls sometimes don't fit flush to the floors.When I do get something to fit, the plywood splinters at the edges. All I can see is somewhere down the road, all the wood putty or spackle I will need to fix things will crack and peel. Believe me, I am good with my hands, I have worked with parts to the 1/1000 of an inch in my job, but I only see disaster ahead with the cottage and should stop before I break something or get to a point beyond repair. Can anyone suggest a cottage that is much easier for a first timer, or are the kits all like this one? I really am disappointed that things are going so badly.
  7. Totally bummed out over this adventure. I've spent lots of time and getting nowhere. Maybe I should have started on a smaller kit. The kit is for sale. Nothing broken, all parts are there, just some paint on the walls. Feel free to contact me via my email. Tom
  8. My post had to do with glueing or nailing a 3/4x3/4 piece of wood under the length of the bottom floor of my Coventry to get the warp out while I glue in the center wall. Still can't find the post..... Tom
  9. HOW do I get to the answers to a topic I have started? Sometimes it is posted on the site I sent it to, and other times it's not. I have a topic in the "general mini" area, but I can't find the replys.... Tom
  10. I can't tell how old the kit is,...it is new to me...just got it a few weeks ago. Yes, the packaging wasn't too good, and when I opened it most of the sheets were warped. Who knew?? It has been a struggle all the way, so far. It seems that the wood might have been exposed to humidity, but not here in the desert where I live. The humidity is 12% right now..a lot different from when we lived in Mass. My son lives in Litchfield, NH, and I think there is a Greenleaf supplier there. Has anyone tried to fix the warp in the first floor of a Coventry Cottage by glueing some 3/4"x3/4" strips of wood to the underside right under the main front to back wall? I'll be looking at the blogs as soon as I figure out the website and how you get around in it. Thanks for walking me through all this. I built a garage on my home in Mass., and designed my addition to my home there.......those were easy compared to this cottage
  11. Sitting here looking at the mess I have, I would like to be opening a brand new box so I could use what I have learned [so far] and not make all the bad choices I did. I WOULD NOT have painted anything, would NOT have "sealed" any thing until I knew the floors and walls weren't warped or were not going to warp. It seems that "hammering" things together only makes for split edges of the plywood if you must undo the assembly. I'LL GET IT TOGETHER, but I don't think it will look as good as I had hoped Tom
  12. The tabs seem to be too LONG rather than thick. I'm sure I'll get it together OK, but I have to change my plan of build. The plywood seems to split very easily when test fitting. I'm gonna keep the wood filler industry busy. Ya'll might want to buy some stock in the company that makes it. I'm glad my Grandaughter is only 19 mos. old.....I have plenty of time Tom
  13. Frustration.....getting ready to assemble the first couple of walls and the tabs are a nightmare. I've had to start trimming the sides of the tabs, and still things don't look nice. I've painted the front and side walls, and with all the messing with the tabs, the paint is suffering a bit. My hat is off to those who have posted some beautiful looking dollhouses. Should I just trim the tabs such that the parts can go together without a tight fit and rely on the glue? I doubt the walls would go together if I had them mounted to the main floor Help.............. Tom
  14. Thanks all, Most of the sheets were warped when I opened the box. The floors and walls are already sealed so I guess I'll just have to live with the warpage or try to straighten when I start to build. This is my first attempt at building a dollhouse, so I will learn much from mistakes. Tom
  15. Mine was "Kiss of Death".....about '48 or so. Richard Widmarks first movie. He was really nasty. He pushed a wheelchair bound woman down a flight of stairs. I bought a copy from Amazon a few months ago. "Gramps"