1 Neutral

About Guyz_Gurl

Profile Information

Previous Fields

• Real Name
    Michelle
  • Country
    United States
  1. Well, I've finally got to the point where I can start my wiring. YAY!! Can't wait! I've decided where I want the bulk of the lights in the outside rooms, but I have a couple questions about the entry and the hall. I'm planning to put two sconces on the wall with the stairs. (May end up doing one on wall with door, one on the other) But what I can't figure out is a ceiling fixture. I'm worried if I put just one, towards the back of the room, it will look terribly dark towards the front. So maybe I should put one there too? But at the same time, I'm planning on changing the front door, and replacing with a single french, and I'll have a porch light in front of that. Will that give enough light to look ok? And the second floor hall... planning on one ceiling fixture with two sconces on the staircase. Too much? I'll confess that I have never even seen a mini light lit up, so I have no clue about how much light it puts off, which is what is making this so hard for me. I don't know so I can't picture how it'll look. I'm planning on doing a practice run with blue tape first thing tomorrow. Would it be ok if I post a pic when I get it done to see what yall think?
  2. I decided this afternoon to start getting some of the window trim ready (punched out and sanded, filled, and sanded some more, then primed). The first one went fairly smoothly, but the second one didn't. The back of the wood kept falling off. I glued it back on, and while I was waiting for it to dry, started punching the third one. The same thing is happening now. Very frustrating. What causes this and how can I get it to stop?
  3. Yeah, I think it's growing on her. With just the little section I taped on yesterday, she was beaming this morning, and oh so chatty. Now she's begging for me to start wiring her. Trying to wait until I get my wood in to finish the kitchen extension before I do that, but she's not wanting to hear that!
  4. I can't help with the bricks, but there are a couple of things I can help with. Hinges... how small do you want them? HBS has some really tiny ones here. Some people also use strips of fabric, or chamois, I think. As for area rugs, there are a couple I know of. You can find a fabric with a suitable size print and cut a square, find a picture and print it on a certain kind of fabric made to pass through a printer then trim it out, and then there are a few different kinds of needlework you can do. Punchneedle and petitpoint (miniature cross stitch) are the only two I know of right now, but I'm sure there are more out there. My dh thinks I'm crazy because I keep telling him that I want to make one just like that, or almost like that but this way instead for MY house, not his...
  5. So I had this idea on making a shingled roof for Ms. Thang. She argued some kind of terrible about the thought of giving up her copper roof, but I promised to do her bays that way if she would give in for the main part, and trust me with it. This is what I have been playing with today, and I think it looks ok, but it still needs something. Maybe just finishing (to blend the cut edges, thinking of finding a plain marker close to the color), or maybe just more of a variation, meaning not so much one color, lighter in some areas with the spray paint. I'm hoping that maybe some of the keen mini eyes here will catch it. I know it will look better when they are all laying flat, but these are just taped on and covering a window right now.
  6. Thanks so much, yall. The main reason I didn't order from them yet is because I wasn't sure they were still making the kits anymore. I couldn't find any recent mentions of them in the searches I did on a couple of groups I read on. Carrie, if you don't mind, I'd like to get that addy from you whenever you get a chance. I'm not exactly sure how to send pm's yet. I'm going to have to wait a little bit longer, though, to order any of them from anywhere. How hard will it be to sneak a Fairfield kit in the house? Cuz I bought one today... :angry:
  7. Guyz_Gurl

Beacon Hill

my journey towards creating my dream house
  8. OK, so I'm seriously stuck on building my house right now until I can get some plywood. Got some ordered, but I've been waiting almost two weeks for it to come in. So, in the meantime, since it's eventually going to have a rooftop garden, I've decided to start looking for some flower kits. Can I ask what your favorite websites are for them? I've been checking out sdk miniatures, and bonnie lavish kits. Found a bunch I like, but am wondering if there are any hidden gems that google isn't giving me. Also kinda thinking of getting one of the tree kits from GJ's (but then again that one may be kind of ambitious...will this thing be ready to decorate it for christmas?) Just looking for little thing I can do to beat the boredom. Thanks.
  9. OK, I've been trying to figure out how to word this so that it doesn't sound like I'm trying to argue, but I still can't figure it out. Holly, it's not the shingles I'm wondering about. It's the flat part of the roof all the way at the top of the house, inside the trim. I can't figure out if it should match the trim or the shingles. DH joked (hopefully) that I should make it look like it's covered in bird poop (ok, sounds childish...) BTW, what does the bleach do and how? Just spray it on? I'm getting scared to try anything else for fear of wasting more precious sheeting. I bought the last two rolls that they had at Michaels and have looked at the HL that just opened last week, but it seems like there's a fair amount of stuff not stocked yet. Peggi, I was asking about sealing after staining. Still no?
  10. Ok, so I played around with trying to darken some copper, but I can't get it to look good (or at least close enough to be passable), so I am going to go ahead and shingle. Started staining the shingles yesterday while I was waiting on the glue to dry on the roof piece. Now I'm wondering... I looked at the pic on the front of the box, and I see that the rooftop is brown, But I can't tell if it is the trim color brown, or the shingle color brown. What did/will you do with it on yours? I'm thinking stain it? Also, should I put some kind of sealer on the shingles? Nothing shiny, but worried about humidity over time. Thanks!
  11. OK, so I decided to start 'finishing' floor by floor. I put in my bays, and figured that since I'll be stucco-ing it, I should probably go ahead and fill in as many cracks as I can. Get to filling and since I can't get my hand to twist like I need it to to get up under the roofline, I got on my knees. When I looked up I had the biggest DUH moment I've had so far. Is it hard to decorate that little area at the top of the bays with that little section of wall hanging down? Or do yall just leave it alone? And how do you put up the trim in there? Also, while I'm here, is there any certain way to do stucco with the spackling? Would it hurt to do it with your fingers? I came up with a nice swirly design on some paper towels when I kept wiping my fingers off from working on the bays. Michelle
  12. I don't know if it is going to help, but I glued a piece of scrap at the end of the existing foundation in prep for the wood I'm waiting for. Don't know what to do about the roof and front wall, though. Michelle oops...should have checked the pics mentioned earlier. Sorry!
  13. I hope I don't get into trouble for this: I decided to jump on the wagon and I'm going to try to extend my kitchen too. I used to live in a house with a very small kitchen (Could turn around at the stove and wash dishes, but you had to watch that the back of your shirt didn't catch fire...) and I absolutely HATED it. Now the part I'm worried about getting in trouble for, I have a quick question. Is there any certain kind of wood you all are using for the extensions? I'm sorry for asking this here, but didn't want to start another thread for almost the same topic. Michelle
  14. Thanks for the tips Bec. I'm not really sure if I'll be doing the siding, or doing the stucco. I'm leaning towards the stucco because I like to be different and I can't find a pic of the BH with it. Plus I hate the thought of gluing all those strips. I may end up doing it though. As far as the shingles, I really don't think I'll be doing them. I'm planning on mostly dark colors for the house itself, and if I have the dark roof I'm worried it'll be a bit too much. There is a house closer to town that has some copper roofing, and I fell in love with it. Just have to get the sheeting and get it aged first. Might even end up just painting it to look like aged copper. Well, it just started raining here, so I'll take that as a sign. I was supposed to be cutting the grass, so maybe I'm supposed to paint instead. Going get out my brush now. Thanks! Michelle
  15. Thanks. I'm working on the Beacon, forgot to mention that. Just to be sure, I should prime first, right? Michelle