• Last visited

• Days Won

Tesla12 last won the day on April 3 2015

Tesla12 had the most liked content!

145 Excellent

About Tesla12

Profile Information

• Interests
    genealogy, architecture, beading, birding, miniatures, history--especially medieval England

Previous Fields

• Real Name
    Kathy
  • Country
    United States

Recent Profile Visitors

1,479 profile views
  1. Thanks for the warm welcome home! I was afraid to get my hopes up....but look what I got tonight! I was certain some other miniature lover would swoop in at the last second but I got lucky. Melissa Drapeau created this little beauty. I'm very excited and looking forward to seeing her in person. Wonder how she'll get along with the Shibas???
  2. Life happened and I've been gone awhile; still some life but hoping to get back to miniatures again and I've so enjoyed browsing the forums today and seeing everyone's beautiful work. Thank you all for sharing your work. This is such an amazing community. Kathy
  3. So, the gallery is weird?! That blurb about the swan is from my other album.... how did it magically appeared in the new album? Can't figure out how to delete duplicate photos either. Sorry about that. Thanks for the support! I hope it turns out as well as it looks in my head.....
  4. Tesla12

The Dragon's Breath Forge

Originally intended for Creatin' Contest 2016, a northern European Medieval Blacksmith Forge, from two kits. Only the actual forge base is complete with painting of stones etc.
  5. Apparently, not only can I not meet the deadline, I cannot spell tonight. That would be: "Dragon's Breath". Yes, I was lamenting that it wasn't fun anymore, which was when I just decided to blow off the deadline. It gives me some breathing room to not rush through components as well.
  6. And..... we're out. There is no way I can get this build finished in time so, if I ever get the camera working, and it's not currently, I'll post photos in my gallery of "The Dragon's Breathe" an Scandinavian Medieval Blacksmith's forge. Created from two of the kits, it will be a two story forge with stone base and daub and wattle upper story. Design is loosely based on Norwegian Stave church architecture---at least for the roof which will be shingled with half-scale diamond shingles resembling dragon scales. I've been carving pearwood dragon staves for the gables. And, Holly, your title is quite safe---I will NEVER be even a scullery maid of spackle. I've attached a loose model of how it will look and a photo of the inspiration roof.
  7. I've got some sample of faux otter fur coming. It's pretty short napped. Fingers crossed.
  8. On the assumption that I actually am able to finish my Creatin' Contest entry.... it calls for fur. Fur would be used for bedding. Suggestions re: fabric that won't look Iike a real life hamster is on the bed? I'm afraid trimmed faux fur will be too, well, trimmed. Fat and thick not smooth, sleek, and rich. I'm on medical leave for another week (finally able to get my nose repaired after my concrete face plant last year) so I'm trying to work on the build in between hydrocodone doses. But remember, I will have to send my husband to the store to pick up whatever y'all suggest so... well, you know where I'm going with this one...(although I count my blessings every day that he'll go and buy 20 things to try to get the one that will work). Thanks!!!
  9. Donna, that is beautiful!!! It's perfect.
  10. Yes, I shook it for over 3 minutes each time.----thought my arm was going to fall off (I'm such a wimp) :-p After the first coat, I thought it was a quirk---well, it's a quirk alright although not in a good way. But, I finally found the Krylon matte sealer, without having to go "to the big city". And the silly string stuff is just on a piece I had put together but then decided to change so it was left over...a test piece...and it's now in the trash with the originally ruined piece. I've put together another little test board and I'm going to test the Krylon on that before using it on my newly built but yet to be rocked replacement piece. These set backs are KILLING my time management. I sure hope I finish this thing on time. I'd hate for all this stuff to have happened and then miss the deadline.
  11. The enamel is a huge bust. Left little white fussy strings on everything. It is "crystal clear" per labeling. Looks like someone sprayed the stones with miniature silly string. And, spackle sticks to it like glue.
  12. Found clear matte spray enamel. Not optimistic about it working tho'. Still feels like cardboard after several coats. I'm going to let it dry some more and maybe try grouting the test piece tomorrow night. Couldn't find Matte Krylon Sealer where I live at Hobby Lobby, WalMart, Lowe's or Home Depot. Sigh I'll let you know.
  13. I cannot find Krylon Matte Sealer anywhere.... Satin but not Matte. Does Satin = Matte in this product line? Clerks have stated Satin equivalent to Semi-gloss, which will look very odd. Thanks, Kathy