Violet2Dawn

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

Everything posted by Violet2Dawn

1. I am trying to get Gypsy's room box done. Her customer needed some shoes. Well the cobbler and the elves dickered back and forth over the style and construction as well as color and fabrics. I listened for a bit then went off in a different direction. Quick Sandals for the 1:12 doll with bare feet. I used scraps of velvet paper and thin cork sheets. Trace the bottom of the dolls foot, for a template on cardboard. Check against foot for fit. Cut this in cork and in the velvet papers. Glue those together, velvet side up on the cork. Next cut thin strips 1/8" or smaller for strap at back of heel, and wider for over the foot. Mine are about 3/8". I glued the strap on the back of the heel first, angling it down to the arch of the foot and to the underside. Let that dry or it will just slide around. When dry glue the top strap onto the foot, be sure the same amount of toes peek out on each foot, again wrap it under the foot a bit. Let this dry or it will fall off if you proceed. If it wants to lift up use a rubber band to hold in place while it dries. Last step is to glue base of sandal to base of foot. I was sure that it was attached to the toes, as most people would let it fall from their heels when sitting. I was careful to cover where the straps wrapped the foot, be sure they are not visible oops. Let dry and Ta Da you are done. Pictures in the Gypsy Tea Album. Peak here:
  2. Well, it wasn't on the To Do list but I had the things and gave it a go. I had glass replacement bulbs that screwed in and some that didn't I also had some of the plastic replacements with the diamond pattern on the outside. So I removed the covers from the bases I could, then I tried to saw off the glass ones with sharp things, but no luck, a few came out with tugging, mostly I left them as is because I did not want to deal with shattering thin glass. I made an album so you can see what I am talking about (what comes next). So after exhausting my bead collection in making bottles and bases for the bulbs, I turned to Fimo. Crafting some out of the ordinary style, and some more typical, I created on both types of bulbs. Lines a baking sheet with foil, heated up the oven and set the timer. Results are not what I expected for all of them. On the glass the Fimo worked out well, I have some sanding to do, then painting, but most survived the oven and look good. The plastic on the other hand, melted, well became bent. You can see how they gave up the fight against the heat and wilted like flowers without water. So Sad. I did not think this would happen. The plastic seems thick and 275 is not a very hot oven, nor is 12 minutes very long. Disappointment. Check out the pictures in the album for a full view, but here is a peak.
  3. The recommended cable holder is a safety pin....no kidding in the directions. Not much knitting this week, after things took another twist on the road of life.
  4. Violet2Dawn

Sandlals

From the album: Tea Leaves Talk

Customer of Gypsy's. Summer look and lack of time (on my part) pushed me to make easy sandals with velvet paper and cork paper. Yup thin straps on back of heel, strap over top of foot, then cork with velvet paper on top for sole and base.
  5. Violet2Dawn

Tea Leaves Talk

"Let me tell your fortune, come have some tea, the leaves will tell all"
  6. Violet2Dawn

Cork soles

From the album: Tea Leaves Talk

Customer shoes, well the cork soles of her sandals.
  7. Today I got the one ply yarn out and the 3 patterns I have that involve cables and lace type patterns for Barbie. They use 3/0 and 5/0 needles. So if I don't stab my eyes out with them, and actually made something that looks like something there may be pictures after Thanksgiving. Once I master this test, then I will move on to trying a simple 1:12 scale pattern.
  8. It looks like a good start and a great idea. Lowes and Home Depot sell a hard plastic/acrylic that is clear and cheep. I think the sizes are 10z12 and higher, I got the 18x24 and it was under $10, then a few bucks to get the plastic cutting tool. If you are going for a barn theme then flat slats with snow paint or similar for grout would work well. If you use paper on the outside as well as inside, I would suggest using wood corners on the outside for support. Foam core will bow or curl when overly wet. I used to have students that had problems with that. There is a nice brick paper I use frequently that I get from Ernie online miniatures.com. There is also a nice slate paper from the same company. You can use wood putty in small tubes (keeps longer) to fill in on the foam core. It sands well, does not dry too quickly but is not too liquid. I use that all the time for filling in. Other ideas for your room: Off Track Betting Parlor, A Gentleman's Club/room, All Sport Teen Boys room--aka the Jock. Have fun with what you create!
  9. Violet2Dawn

#1 Barbie

If I hadn't put on the belt and or lowered her arms, it slides right off her.
  10. Violet2Dawn

#7 Barbie

It has to be me. On some level I think 'clown' when look at it.
  11. Yes Holly, I have a stock of embroider floss for when I shift smaller tucked away. I should dig out the one baby sweater I made a few years ago, cold turkey, in 1:12 scale......YIKES. That experience is what makes me want to practice and work down in scale. Yes Casey it was self striping yarn. I picked up an odd bag of ends or left overs on eBay to practice with.
  12. Yes Paint with a durable finish. Maybe Boat/Marine Paint..very tough stuff.
  13. Ohhh Inspirational videos....love them
  14. Some of the more useful non traditional tools I use are: Emery\Boards, Eye Glass Repair Kit, Leather Awl, Crochet Hooks (of various size), Small (I mean tiny( Machine Screw Drives of the flat variety, Wood Cuticle Sticks, Tooth Picks, short and long, Ball Stylus tools (various sizes), Bone Edge Folder, Ball Peen Hammer. I don't have a Dremel but want one, or any sort of small sander thing. I have been building houses, room boxes and individual items, people etc for years and years. Like Kathie said, it is all in what you want to accomplish. When I am on a time schedule and head to the minis, I set a timer so I don't have to look at the time but stop if I need to go or change tasks. Good Luck
  15. It looks really great! Are you going to make mini tools for it also?
  16. From the album: Knitting Small and Smaller

This top is supposed to be a mock turtle neck, but I think it needs better shaping around the neck. Size 0 needles and 4 ply sport yarn. I like the sleeves ad overall fit. Very bright yellow.
  17. Violet2Dawn

#7 Barbie

From the album: Knitting Small and Smaller

Okay not a big fan of this dress. The pattern is ok in the skirt area but I do not like how the top is made. It was sideways in garter stitch, I wont do this again. The yarn did not work up in any sort of nice pattern in the top, while the skirt is great. Size 1 needles and sock yarn. Think this one is the worst so far.
  18. Violet2Dawn

#6 Barbie

My BEST dress so far. The sock yarn worked up so nicely and I made no mistakes at all. It fits the doll well too. Size 0 needles and sock yarn.
  19. Violet2Dawn

#5 Barbie

Well this picture is off color. The sport metallic yarn is a soft gold with metallic thread in multi colors in it. The pattern was easy and I like how the ruffle thing is done. Size 0 needles and sport weight yarn. This dress is a good fit on Barbie
  20. Violet2Dawn

#4 Barbie

Different Tank Top pattern, it fits better but still flares at hem. Size 1 needles and sock yarn. One of my better projects.
  21. Violet2Dawn

#3 Barbie

Top and skirt not meant to be together. Skirt worked up well in the pattern with only 1 oops. Tank top flares out at bottom and while it is okay I do not personally like it. Size 1 needles and sock yarn.
  22. Violet2Dawn

#2 Barbie

Supposed to be a pleated skirt Many flaws in the patterning of this on my part. Pleats do not lay as they should Also too Large on Barbie Size 2 needles 4ply sport weight yarn
  23. Violet2Dawn

#1 Barbie

This dress is too big on Barbie. It has a pattern that did not work well for me. I used size 2 needles and sport weight yarn. First try at this venture.
  24. Well the knitting on a small scale is getting better. I have progressed from size 2 needles down to size 0. I have used sock yarn, fingering, baby and sport weight yarns. I prefer the yarns that do not fray or split when knitting. With the small needles that is hard to accomplish. I have started an album showing the progress. I think I am doing ok with garter stitching and plain knitting, I can do ribbing well. So time to try some more detailed things for Barbie and get them under control on the small needles before moving smaller. I have cotton thread (like crochet) and silk thread (same) as well as single ply yarns for the 1:12 scale. The needles go down from 0 to 8/0 (or eight 0's). I have a few patterns I found for Barbie on 5/0 needles and single ply yarns but I am not ready for them yet. Vlad has been contained in a box for not, but not closed up. Gypsy has a customer who needs shoes....yikes where are those elf cobblers. I have an egg (Pysanky) exchange to do soon, my secret Santa person lives in Japan. And the Christmas tree awaits me, patiently sitting in its box for now but giving me glances now and again. Well enjoy this Picture and check out the album. I am thinking about seeking buyers for some of these or taking orders to practice on. This dress pictured is the only one, so far, with no mistakes on it, as well as a pretty pattern in the yarn when worked up.