Violet2Dawn

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

Everything posted by Violet2Dawn

1. Yup been there and done all that. Now I do as much prep before assembly as possible, for me it pays off in the end but I know everyone works differently.
  2. Marisa-- I have seen her work on Etsy and pinned to Pinterest. Beautiful work, just stunning creations. Good luck with the sewing. I have many naked 1:12 dolls to dress esp. for a few room boxes in progress, but much of that I glue onto the doll.
  3. My Motivation for creating miniatures come from my childhood. It was especially difficult, full of unpleasant and tragic things. So since the age of 10, I have been trying to capture 'perfect' moments, where nothing can ruin it. My first real wood dollhouse was the only thing I asked for on my 15th birthday, it was made of sold white birch. I got some of my artsy friends in college to make me small things or go to the mini show in western PA with me. Each project had to be better than the last, and I had to learn as many things mini as I could. At one point I had over 5 houses all done and furnished. Now, scaling down I am making those houses over into room boxes and boxes with new ideas. When people ask me why I create miniatures, my response is 'I am trying to capture moments in time on a small scale'. Thanks for the great question and for letting all of us reveal out inspirations.
  4. Hello Crafty Friends I had to take a break from glue and let my fingers heal, so I have been working on my miniature knitting. Okay not miniature yet, but I am scaling down. My nieces will have a collection of Barbie clothes this Christmas as I work my way to smaller and smaller needles and thinner and thinner yarn/thread. Poor Vlad and Gypsy are not happy about this hold up, but it was necessary. Here are the pics of what I want to accomplish on a 1:12 doll (made by someone in Ukraine) and what Barbie has so far. A variegated dress with one sleeve bigger than the other, too loose with the pattern off along the lower skirt, and a pleated skirt where the pleats are not centered but more asymmetrical wedges. Today I am going to tackle the size 1 needles with a thinner yarn and hope for better results. I do have patterns and needles from an Australian source for the 1:12 knitting and I want to work with them, but since I am still struggling with normal sized things, they have to wait. Only two fingers left with raw glue patches and I am hopeful that mini work will be happening soon. It has been over 5 years since I knitted last, and practice makes anything better so knit, purl.....
  5. Mike thanks for offering your services. Vlad might like a more professional sign than I had in mind, and Sybil also. If I send you a jeg of picture you could use that for the store signs? let me know!
  6. Violet2Dawn

Vlad's Spirits and Blood Bar

Welcome to Vlad's! The bar is just a fun place to hang out. Vlad Tempe (aka the Impaler)(Model for Dracula) has opened a blood bar in his retirement. Come and see who will show up to enjoy some spirits or blood.
  7. Violet2Dawn

100 2315

From the album: Vlad's Spirits and Blood Bar

Beginnings of Vlad's bar. The top is paper Mache coffin shape Large that I covered with repurposed DH flooring. The sides are cut pieces from Michael's that also have repurposed woof flooring on them. Behind that will be the bartender side. It still needs work this is the first few steps.
  8. Violet2Dawn

100 2313

Here is a shelving unit for Vlad's that I am making from a paper Mache coffin shape.
  9. Violet2Dawn

100 2312

From the album: Tea Leaves Talk

If you look to the right of the photo, you can see a bit how I made this. But I will describe it here. I cut a piece of wood flooring 3 strips wide and the width of the room. I used quilting thread and all those beads to make strings of various length on the middle flooring on the strip. I did not separate the wood strips. When done I lay it down and heavily glued along the inside of the wood strip, pulling up the slack in each string, and let it dry. Then I folded up the outer strips of flooring to make a squared U. Then I got a wood U piece (square edges and shape) the same length. I painted it red, then painted it again with red nail polish. When both were dry I glued the bead U inside the wood U, heavily glued, weighted it so the beads stayed put and let it all dry overnight. Then I glued it to the ceiling with the box upside down, and weighted it until dry. I set it I the room at a slight angle. The smaller portion is Gypsy's work area and the larger section is the shop/store. I hope you can understand what I tried to explain here.
  10. Violet2Dawn

100 2311

Section 'behind' the curtain, I will add a chair near the coal stove.
  11. Violet2Dawn

100 2310

Well here is the beaded wall, I made to separate the room box for Gypsy. The picture is a bit light due to the flash but you get the idea.
  12. Wow thanks guys! Selkie I sent an inquiry to the site you linked , thanks for that. Vickie I will look up your company online in a bit, thanks for the info. Mike, Maureen and EVERYONE who even reads this; Thank You so Much for the positive energy and thoughts. MORE Updates in the Album! The Glass Beads are Hung!!
  13. Selkie Yes the stores will be next to each other. As to the adhesives this has been progressively worsening for the past 6 years. I have been dually noted as "hyper-sensitive" (no patches that stick to you) in the medical records and hospital system here. I had to give away all the Band-Aid products of any type I had and stock up on gauzes, and self sticking (looks like shelf liner) rolls. I have been fighting this for long enough to know, I have to give in now, the allergic reaction is too severe. I wish there might be a recovery time, but that ship has sailed. And interestingly enough I have begun to develop an allergy to nuts...I have had no problems all my life, but now I have to ignore them. The last episode was itchy roof of mouth and burning lips that lasted a few days....Dr. said not severe yet, but no nuts if I can help it. I gave up fresh pineapple and strawberries two years ago. I wonder what will be next. If anyone has a link to or knows of a company that makes Latex free Finger Cots I would love that information. Finger cots are the glove like tips that protect the finger to the first knuckle. All that I find here in CT are with latex and I can't do those.
  14. The yellow tops would be great bathroom or commercial vents just need a paint job!
  15. I love the pink outside. Great colors all over ....nice work!
  16. Violet2Dawn

100 2309

Gypsy is waiting for things to come together. Wait I think she is getting a vision look at that far off stare...
  17. Violet2Dawn

100 2308

OH Customer for Gypsy having her hair done!
  18. Violet2Dawn

100 2307

Art on the walls door and window
  19. Violet2Dawn

100 2306

Close up of shelf and skull
  20. Violet2Dawn

100 2305

Window seat, with things for sale on it, and shelf hung with potions to sell as well as a few good books on the table for sale as well
  21. Violet2Dawn

100 2304

Tea serving station and her table to mix potions on, shelf with books
  22. Violet2Dawn

100 2303

More things in place, Gypsy has been busy.
  23. Well crafty friends vacation is over and it is back to the craft table for me. It should be noted that I discovered in the beginning of October that I am now Hyper-Sensitive to all adhesives. From Band-Aids to scotch tape and white glue. Nope not even paper tape anymore. So crafting is slower, as I have to force myself to use tooth picks for glue application and tweezers and the like. And the fun part is I have to wash my hands whenever I get glue on them. Aging is not as much fun as it once was. So new pictures were added to the album for Gypsy. I finished the beaded curtain just a bit ago, and it will get installed tomorrow. Here is a teaser.
  24. Violet2Dawn

Vlad Tepes

Vlad is the model for Bran Stokers "Dracula" I am hopeful that I can make a decent Vlad to bartender.