Violet2Dawn

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

Blog Entries posted by Violet2Dawn

1. Violet2Dawn
    16. Do I have to say it? Set the bag aside and let the glue dry! Go grab a cup of tea or coffee. Clean up your hands and the work area. Decide on which jewelery findings you want to use, and how many straps you want. If you use a quick grab, thick tacky glue like I do, the wait time is less, but still please wait.

17. While you are wiating, cut the remaing trim into 1/8" widths. This will become your staps for closures etc. They only need to be 1 1/2" to 2" long, but can be longer if you like.

18. If your finding has a hole, run the strap through it and glue the end over so it stays on. If you have no hole then glue the finding to the strap, again wait for the glue to dry. You can add them later, when they are on the bag, but I find it less messy to do them now.

19. Cut your now dry handle piece in half. You may want long handles or shorter ones. With the 3" you have that option. I generally go for smaller ones 1 1/2" being a good average size.

Note: I have indicated on the paper pattern where you can place the handles. Please use that as a guide, I eyeball it and just attach them when it is time, where I think they look best.

****Check to see if your glue is dry on the bag*********Be carefull********

20. When the glue has dried, you want to repeat the process of applying the trim, just to the inside of the bag. Run glue along the inside edge of the bag, again work in small stages and fold the trim to the inside of the bag. Remember you have to press hard to make it stick. You will note that when you do this, any small ripples you may have had on the outside, smooth out and it looks wonderfull now. Sometimes at this point I have to reglue a spot or two on the front, but not to worry It all looks good in the end. See picture of this step below.

21. Glue on handles and your straps, press firmly for them to attach. LET IT DRY!!! Pictures below of the front, side and back of my finished sample bag.

I leave the bags open so they can be filled later for scenes, but you can glue them shut at this point. Heck the inside may be so scary you want to hide it, IDK. But they choice is yours!

WELL I hope this was clear enough for you all to follow along. If you do get stuck, or don't understand a part, then please PM me I will help you. I don't blog, this is my first, so I won't think to come here often and check for messages or additions. Happy Bagging!!!!!!!!! Dawn
  2. Violet2Dawn
    13.Take 1 piece of leather trim, and run glue down it, not too heavy, but so you see it. Now press the strip lengthwise into a narrower strip. You are making what will be the handles now. Leather needs to be pressed hard to get the glue to hold, just smoosh it, but be careful not to get the glue on the outside where it might dry and discolor your handles. Set this aside to dry, I sometimes have to weight mine down to get it to stay together. See picture below.

14. Now to begin to trim the bag. You need a strip at least 6" by 1/4" unless you have added a lining where you want to increase it to 6" by 3/8".

15. Working in small sections you are going to apply glue to the bag edge and press the trim to the fabric, press hard, so that the trim extends onto the bag face only half the width of the trim. The rest of the trim sticks up in the air right now. Start at a side, and you will go all the way around and meet back where you started. Work slow, and in small sections. See series of pictures below for this part.

NOTE: I have used too much glue so that it would show in photos, please use less on your bag or you will have a sticky mess!
  3. Violet2Dawn
    9 Now refold the same side tab to make it match up to the other bag face. Stitch this seam the same way. See picture of 2 seams done below.

Now repeat the seam steps for the remaining side. Picture below of all 4 sides sewn.

10. Carefully turn your bag right side out, and run your finger along each seam to trun it fully and get the corners pushed out. Doesn't it look cute!!!

11. Trim your cardboard to fit the bottom of your bag. I take a look at the base and see how much I think I need to trim from that, trim small amounts at a time, unless you have a stock of cardboard to use up.

12. Insert the base into the bag.

NOTE: This is the point at which you would make a lining if you wanted one and then insert it, wrong side out into the bag, so the right side is where your hand might go if you were small enough. The cardboard is between the fabric layers. I don't make linings, lazy I guess. But if you did the leather may have to be wider 3/8" to accomodate the bulk you have added with the lining. The lining is sewn in the same way as the bag.
  4. Violet2Dawn
    5. Thread your needle with your thread, making it double by knotting the ends together. I use quilting thread for strength, but you can use what you like.

6. Fold the right side of one bag side to the right side of the bag face. I have marked on your pattern letters a,b c and d. The edges that will be sewn together have the same letter. You will be sewing a single line but when the bag is flat it does look like an "L". Pin the edges together, 1 pin is enought to hold it in place. See picture below.

NOTE: it is possible to sew these seams on a sewing machine. If you choose to do so, then set your stitch legth to the smallest setting so you have tiny tight stitches. Be sure to reverse at each end to lock the stitches in place. You will still be using a 1/4" seam allowance.

7. To hand stitch the seam you will be making the "back stitch" I have included a picture of it, and the directions as follows:

To start this stitch bring the thread up from the back of the fabric on the line that you want to create. Make a small backward stitch through the fabric. Bring the needle through the fabric a little in front of the first stitch and still on the line. Pull the thread through the fabric. Make the second stitch backward, bringing the needle out a little in front of the second stitch and still on the line. Repeat this movement and continue sewing in such a manner along the line.

8. Begin the seam at the open bag edge and work toward the folded fabric. I take 2 stitches over the edge first to re-enforce it. I also end with 2 stitches over the fold for the same purpose. See picture
  5. Violet2Dawn
    Okay here we go:

1. Assemble your supplies. Print and cut out your paper pattern.
    2. Pin your pattern to your fabric. If you are using a stripe fabric, be sure to line your pattern up so your line is straight.
    3. Cut out your bag shape and remove the paper pattern. Turn your bag over so you see the wrong side of the fabric.
    4. Mark on the wrong side your 1/4" sewing lines. You see them as tiny dots on your paper pattern. Use a small ruler and a pen, be sure your ink does not show to the front, test it on scrap first.
  6. Violet2Dawn
    Okay, open this document and print it for your pattern. It should print in a 4 1/2" square, no larger or smaller. It is a word document, so I think everyone should be able to open it and print it. Just check your printed size so it is the right scale. Dawn
  7. Violet2Dawn
    This is the list of what you will need to construct the Carpet Bag. I thought it might be help full to post this first then the directions. This gives you a change to gather what you need.

*Small Sharp Scissors
    *Strong Thread to Match your Fabric
    *Sharp needle
    *Pins (3 or 4 is plenty)
    *Cardstock or Cardboard 1 1/2" X 2 1/2" (we cut it down later)
    *Tacky Glue
    *Toothpicks (a few to spread glue)
    *Ruler
    *Pen for marking on fabric
    *Tapestry Fabric 4 1/2" X 5" ( Suede, Jaquard Trims, Velvet, Velveteen, your choice)
    *14" of thin, flexible Leather or Suede for trim on bag. 1/4" wide (smallest length is 6" x2 that we need, so it can be in pieces)
    *Assorted jewellery finding for buckels, locks, clasps.........your choice

Alternate supplies:

Mannifying glasses if you need them

You can use grossgrain ribbon or silk ribbon 7mm instead of the leather for trim

A lining can be made for the bag, use soft, thin fabrics (no knits)

You can stitch on the sewing maching instead of by hand, your choice.

Iron all things that have wrinkles ahead of time

Rotary cutter, mat and clear ruler to cut the leather in a later step are handy but not necessary.

I will take the step by step photes tonite, and copy the pattern for you. So next entry should be tomorrow. Dawn