Rhonda from the Bluegrass

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

Everything posted by Rhonda from the Bluegrass

1. Kathie . . . I just went in to your albums to look at the houseboat, and I couldn't find any finished pictures of it. Are they in your gallery? I don't know. I really, really prefer the 1:12. For one thing, I like to think of my houses as a collection, and as such, the 1:12 is really what I want. Plus, as I mentioned before - with my difficult work schedule and such a crunch timeline for the Spring Fling, I just don't have time to make all the stuff myself, and with half-scale, that would pretty much be necessary unless you are a Rockefeller and can afford the more expensive half-scale retail minis.
  2. Wow, this is one very awesome dollhouse! I hope you post pictures as you work on it!
  3. Well, I have a confession . . . I DID sit up in my bed building these kits. Of course, afterwards, a change of linens is required to get out all the tiny splinters . . . What can I say? Being very happily divorced, I do what I want . . .
  4. Even though space is an issue for me, too, I really don't gravitate that much to the half scale. I like a lot of detail & accessories and I just won't have time with my insane work schedule to make each and every little thing. Plus, when you do find nice half scale things to buy, they are way too expensive. Half scale really limits me. I have a Fairfield that I've never even started because of that, and also several half-scale Michael's houses. I just like the 1:12 better.
  5. Anna, this looks great! And, I just love that hamper and the toilet paper roll . . . those are perfect!
  6. As most of you who know me are aware, I work nights and have lamented the fact that on my nights off, I often fall asleep during my highly anticipated t.v. shows (when you only have 2 nights a week to watch, it means more to you). Anyway, before I turned the tube on last weekend, I got my Buttercup kit out and opened it up as I watched my shows - I not only stayed awake, I got the entire shell built, so whenever I decide how I want to finish it out, it's ready. Since that seemed to work for me, I tried it again last night . . . this time with my Canterbury kit. It was missing the directions and even though I figured I could find them here, I am out of ink in my printer, so I just dug in and figured it out . . . after all, we all "wing it" with the Michael's kits. Voila! Another fully-built shell, ready to trick out. I am really liking this, and it feels great to be building the poor stored kits. I'll store the finished shells on shelves until I have the items/money needed to do the fun part. Anyway, I think I'll keep doing this - it is a lot of fun, it is productive, and best of all . . . it keeps me awake!
  7. I've always been a flea market/yard sale/Goodwill Store junkie . . . not just for the astounding deals I find, but for the rare and beautiful things I find, that I could never get at a retail store. When I moved to Lexington, I discovered that I had hit the treasure trove at my local Goodwill stores and yard sales. A LOT of people here have a TON of money (it is horse country, after all), and they seem to pitch their stuff at an amazing rate. My brother now comes to visit me 2-3 times a year so that we can hit the yard sales, Goodwills, etc. . . The first time he went with me to my local Goodwill, he was just about in shock. Even my sister that lives in Pennsylvania (a doctor's wife) has me keeping an eye out at my local Goodwills for stuff for her. She says she is better dressed by my Goodwills than she is her fanciest stores. In fact, I have quite a collection of very fancy (previously very expensive) satin nightgowns (many lined with soft flannel) that I got at the Goodwills here, and they each cost me around $2.50. I buy ALL my work clothes there, and pretty much everything else I need as well. I have managed to find a handful of dollhouse kits at the Goodwills here, now and again. In fact, this post is making me itch to run out and treasure hunt right now!
  8. That same thing happened to me, too, and I KNOW I didn't change anything!
  9. I don't see why it would be "horrible" to use images you love in your dollhouse . . . for one thing, it's not like you are using said images for financial gain - this is just something you'll enjoy for your own dollhouse. Second, you can't BUY the little windows you want - it's not like you are printing them off to keep from buying them from the artist. Third, I have even seen world-famous miniaturists like Brooke Tucker use images in their miniature displays that they cut out of magazines or catalogs, so if people like that can do it, I don't see why you shouldn't.
  10. This is so lovely . . . you did an awesome job on it!
  11. What a darling shop! And, this is a fabulous display of goods . . . I can only imagine how long it took you to do all of this!
  12. I guess I'm just a brute . . . I always snap them apart without doing anything to them. I've never had any problem doing that.
  13. Double Amen to that! And, I sure do want to send my wishes for a happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year to you all!
  14. I stayed in last night, as I have for the last several New Years' Eves. There is nowhere I would rather be than at home with my cats & my minis. I did plan to stay up to watch the ball drop at midnight, but I dozed off and missed it. My 74 year old mother called me to say Happy New Year and woke me up. Pitiful, isn't it that SHE could stay awake and I couldn't! I had to chuckle. I told myself I needed to spend all day doing in-depth house cleaning today, but I think I'll celebrate the new year by working on my haunted mansion . . . it is SLOW going, but I am getting pretty excited about the progress I've made just in the last few days. I also need to put the finishing touches on another house that is almost done. I could probably actually finish that one today if I decided to work on it . . . hmmm, decisions, decisions!
  15. I bought some of this Minwax stained filler, and I never could get it to cure. It stayed soft, and I totally hated it. It's one of the very few things I ever actually threw out.
  16. After reading this, I went to my Michael's and bought 2 of the phone booth kits. I built them last night and they really are cute. I couldn't find the play size kits . . . maybe because I hadn't read about them - don't know what to look for.
  17. If you plan to get into polymer clay very much, a pasta machine is a MUST. As the other forum members mentioned, using your body heat to give the clay a little boost will help. But, from there, the molecules react best to a gentle kneading motion . . . at first, just use a bending motion on the bar of clay - it won't SEEM to be doing much, but it is actually getting the molecules to react to one another. If/when you get a pasta machine, you can run the clay through it on varying degrees of thickness, and then re-knead it into a log or whatever you want to work with after it is softened. If you get into making caned designs (excellent for making fruits, etc. . .), you will want to keep this in mind as well - gentle, consistent kneading will keep from distorting your canes. One thing to note about the different brands of polymer clay: the ones that are the hardest to work with (stiffer polymer formulas) are the best for longevity in your finished item . . .they remain the hardest after curing. I work with all the different brands, but I don't always like the finished item when I use (for instance) Fimo Soft. I find that Sculpey Premo is a really good "across the board" clay for most applications. Also, be careful mixing brands of clay . . . it can have a very negative effect on the clay properties.
  18. Hi, Nicki! Even though I've PM'd you, I wanted to officially welcome you on this post as well. I am SO excited to have a new miniaturist friend right here in "my neck of the woods"! By the way, have you been to the dollhouse museum in Danville yet? I've been about a gazillion times, and it's always a super fun day. If you haven't been yet, maybe we could plan a day there together? I know you would enjoy seeing it.
  19. Hi, Nicki: I go to the one at Brannon Crossing (Nicholasville Road). And, Sherry is right about the wording of the ads . . . I just get aggravated because I know of so many people who have been allowed to buy the kits during those sales.
  20. My Hobby Lobby STINKS. They never will allow me to buy any of the kits at the sale price. I think if one store allows the 50% off on kits, they ALL should! I liked the Hobby Lobby a lot better in Bowling Green, Kentucky where I lived before.
  21. I had a major "mini" Christmas, and a huge boost in my sadly lacking Christmas spirit. I was in a full-scale holiday depression this year (the kind you always hear and wonder about), but after being with my family . . . I am feeling a lot better. Which is good, because I was honestly feeling like I just couldn't handle anything any more. 2010 was just an extraordinarily tough year, and it almost took me down. Now, I am just praying 2011 will be a much kinder year. Anyway, my family knows that pretty much all I want is anything miniature related, so here's what I racked up: (1) the Shendoah log cabin dollhouse that my Dad built several years ago for my Mom (fully furnished by me a long time ago), (2) a 1:144 scale castle kit I had wanted for ages, (3) a huge box full of several sets of Avon Resin half-scale furniture, (4) several boxes full of supplies appropriate for miniature use as well as various miniature accessories (thanks to my brother, my collaborator), and . . . an incredible multi-function power tool that has several special cutting blades (that can cut in angles that no ordinary saw can cut), as well as a special sanding attachment that is triangular and can reach back into little corners! Hooray! And, I also got a lot of other beautiful gifts that were as awesome as the minis. My sister in Pennsylvania spent her entire summer stitching me the most gorgeous needlepoint picture (which she had professionally framed) I've ever seen. And, my younger sister surprised me with two gorgeous castle oil paintings that my maternal grandmother (who has been deceased for many years now) had painted and I had always loved.
  22. Donna, my heart just breaks for you to be going through this. I will keep you and your family in my prayers, and also all of you in my thoughts. I am truly so very, very sorry. I'm sending virtual hugs your way.
  23. I love both styles of backgrounds, too. But, having said that . . . I think I love your entry so much it would grab my attention no matter what background you used!
  24. Cathy, I enjoyed looking at the awesome build so much yesterday, that I just had to revisit today . . . and I am STILL loving it!!!!!!!!! You really did out-do yourself!
  25. This really is so beautiful, and I love the sweet little setting you have created for it.