corispice

Gold Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Posts posted by corispice

1. 4228948156_022359a7cb.jpg4093837750_60fef256ef.jpg

For a long time I wanted a Blythe doll, and in July my boyfriend got me one for my birthday. Then for Christmas he got me 2 more! I think they are so cute, and they fit in with my other hobbies (I'd love to make them a 1/6 scale house or shelf house, and I also love to collect Re-ment and other cutesy Japanese goods). People sell Blythe clothes all over Etsy, but they are so expensive, so I've been teaching myself to sew. I also got a sewing machine for Christmas! Anyway, the dresses on the brown haired doll in both pictures I made by hand from free patterns on the internet.

I'm really proud of the striped one b/c it has a collar that looks like a collar and the sleeves aren't wonky like mine usually are. Also, it has bust darts! Yay!

2. I get both Miniature Collector and DHM right now, but actually wish I would have cancelled Miniature Collector and subscribed to American Miniaturist instead. DHM is a good middle ground, even if it is bi-monthly, there are usually at least a few projects I'd like to do, and cut outs, whereas MC seems to have a lot of stuff about really old toy dollhouses and auctions and less DIY or budget friendly things. From what I've seen of American Miniaturist (I've bought a few copies at my local shop) it had some a nice mix of "Wow" stuff and also things I could make. The U.K. magazines also seem pretty good, from the few times I have had... som enice projects, but all of the shop and show info is for the U.K.

I'm like you, I love to read things on the couch or on the bus on my way to work.

3. I have ordered way too much from them in the last few months, last week I ordered because I didn't want to let $22 bonus dollars fade away... but when I did that, I promised myself I wouldn't order from HBS for a while.

4. I have been contemplating buying one and making it super girly, rose with burgundy and cream trim, perhaps (I saw a house painted these colors this weekend when visiting my parents). Maybe with shabby chic/ French style furniture, very girly. I think of all of my other 2 houses as very masculine, at least on the exterior, so it will be fun to get away from brick and Liberty Blue and make something super feminine.

Oh, yes, and it will need a chandelier! And climbing flowers.

5. I've been fascinated bu the Willowcrest since I first read about it mentioned here-- it has such a mystique. I have almost bid on it so many times when they pop un Ebay, but then felt guilty because I know some people want it so much and because the price would probably end up going so high... now, I am so excited that I think it will be my next dh purchase!

6. In the end, I was so indecisive... my boyfriend and I were at a shop recently that had a Lily unfinished but built and it was so lovely, and so much bigger in person, and I really adored it. BUT, currently we live in a 1000 square foot apartment with a large percentage of it taken over by 2 dollhouse projects and the mess they (err... I) create... then I was kind of tempted to go with a Brookwood... but once again, I have this mess.

So, I went with my first instinct and bought the bay window shop by Houseworks. I am kind of in the mood for a smaller project anyway, and I loved building my coffee shop... it allowed me to try things I wouldn't with a bigger, more expensive house (like craft stick floors and paperclay)

7. Hi, Bre! I've built RGt houses and one Greenleaf... and the Greenleaf was about ten million times easier to wire, so don't worry! It is alot easier to get those little brads into the plywood walls, and easier to maneuver the house to weird angles to get inside to put tape, etc.

8. Hi, Dawn... I adore modern furniture in mini and real life, and finding stuff, as you can tell, is difficult. A great place for stuff is Dollshouse Emporium. It isnt in the US but they always have a free shipping deal, even to the US (I have ordered from them a few times, I always wait until there are a few things I want and order to get the free shipping). This month they have free shipping for a purchase over 70$. If you check out my Georgetown gallery or my blog, you can see some of the stuff I bought from there (including my kitchen cabinets)

Ebay is an ok place, there are all kinds of things to find, just search "modern" or "contemporary". You can find the designer modern chairs there sometimes for a good price.

A great resource for modern minis is the mini modern blog at http://minimodern.blogspot.com/ She has a ton of links and awesome pictures.

Good luck!

9. I'm just glad other people have thought about this staircase issue and can't put stairs in a bedroom! It drives me insane. I've put all kinds of walls in the Emerson Row just to have seperate rooms and I didn't use stairs -- it seems ok for a house to have stairs or not, but to have stairs only going between 2 out of 4 floors just doesn't make sense!

10. There are so many things I'd love, but I just used the "buy more save more" coupon, and you know how it is, I was so close to getting the free shipping I ordered a few more things...

But if I get something, I'd like another Houseworks shop. Prob the corner one for now. If I had more money, it would be the Houseworks kitchen kit and if I had a lot of money, hands down the East Side Townhouse!

11. I'm loving your house so far, and am so excited to see someone else who is in to the modern decor thing. I love LOVe love that kitchen, and might have to copy you and buy it for something! What kind of things to do you have planned for the other rooms? If you look at my gallery, the Georgetown house has all moden decor.

Oh, the way you have the scrapbook paper in the kitchen right now makes me think that it would look awesome if you did large, bright, randow colorblocks on the wall. Like a big, but not all the way up to the ceiling block of yellow, and maybe a shorter,wider one of orange. Kind of Mondrian-ish.

12. I'd love to go to the Cleveland show since there doesn't seem to be a spring Pittsburgh show like last year, but it is a busy weekend at work for me :lol: I would love to go to the Philly show, too, since my parents live relatively close... but it would involve driving all the way across state.

Terri, do you happen to know why they arent doing the spring show this year? It seemed to be successful last year, with lots of vendors and visitors?

13. I agree with Holly about the Miami colors, it would look aweseom in like a creamy color and a hot peach or something like that... but then again, cool whites and light, stony greys would be cool, too, for a true Malibu style. You could even landscape it with little palms and stuff. Oh, and boulders... and definately a hot tub of some sort.

Did you buy any of the DHE mod furniture, too? They make some fun pieces, esp their mod kitchens and lights. For furniture and stuff, they usually have free shipping to the U.S. (usually for purchases of 80$ or 100$)