bookmarm

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

Everything posted by bookmarm

1. Beautiful, Pat! I love the fireplace. I have a similar one in a colonial era room box.
  2. I have a kit from 1995 for the 555. I looked through and it's missing parts. Sheets 1,2,3 are missing completely, and sheets 13,14,17,18 are missing a few parts (all of the tower roof parts, and porch trim). I can re-create some of the missing bits that are simple shapes with my hand saw. What to do? The company is out of business, right? Drat!
  3. we still have snow on the ground in our neighborhood. Temperature will get near 60 in a few days, so the end is near
  4. I've only used the gallery glass paint and redileads on big stuff for our home, but some of the things I learned a few things from that experience. Draw the design on paper, then tape that to the back of the clear piece being working on so the design is easy to follow. Clean the surface you are working on very well with rubbing alcohol. I made my glass pieces probably 8 years ago and they are kept in windows. No problems with them peeling or fading so far. BTW, if someone is looking for a human scale project: I found several cheap wooden frames with glass at A C Moore. Took all but the glass out and used these to make my "stained glass" with redileads and gallery paint.
  5. I think most of our staff at the library have colds. Patrons bring back books they've had at home while recovering, so no wonder we all are sick. We keep hand sanitizer by each desk. My sons had this last week. A co-worker suggested Advil Cold and Sinus, which has given me some relief. It's one of those meds you have to ask for at the pharmacy counter now. Sons brought back "Feel Better" chicken and spinach wonton soup from a restaurant last night. They have it listed by that name on the menu.
  6. Kathie, I feel your pain! I dread dress-up events. When I can't get out of them I usually opt for a black base-layer (dress/tights/shoes) and a fancy shawl or scarf..maybe fastened with a nice brooch. I have a foot issue, as well, so I go for simple flat slip ons. I'm not a shopper and I hate malls, but we do have a few great consignment shops near by that often have just the thing for far less cost. Good luck!
  7. Anna, the bathroom looks so beautiful! I love the blue tile! I'm home with a head cold, so am working on the Micheal's puzzle house villa. I can't tell if it is closer to 1/2 scale or 1/4. I couldn't replace the front door with a 1/2 scale HW, because the opening is too small. The front rounded turret definitely improved with small square wood trim in the areas the pieces meet. I haven't completely figured the staircase out yet. Still working out the colors of inside walls.
  8. Home with a head cold today, so catching up with laundry and pet cleaning. Sons are home with me so they may not be aware they will be my chore slaves to clean bunny hutches and litter pans. Surprising how much snow is still on lawns in our neighborhood from the Christmas night storm. It got us cracking on gathering some warm stuff to bundle in when Jim and I head to Yellowstone mid January for a week. This is our birthdays/anniversary/Christmas gift to each other this year. We'll be staying in lodges and traveling by snow coach. Jim has already ordered a few things from Landsend and Bean, but we'd welcome any suggestions for things to take from anyone living in the cold regions. I hate to take too much, and we won't be hiking much and skiing. I figure warm head/toes/hands and then layer in between. Dry skin is always a problem for me when I travel out West.
  9. had "Condensed Christmas Dinner" from leftovers. Tasty even the second go round. Hubby braved the SC snow and hit the grocery store for some extra items.
  10. since we had a snow day, I stayed home and started the Fantasy Villa (Creatology puzzle house) from Micheal's. I'm going to de-gewgaw it quite a bit. The turrets and trim are just too over the top. Sadly, the front door can't be replaced with a HW one like I could in the puzzle house that looks like a Tennyson.
  11. Snow in SC. We have several inches, and the temp didn't rise much for melting in our area (central). It will get colder tonight with warnings of black ice. A perfect day to stay home and work on minis...which I did.
  12. got a cute mini kit of a 1950's era roombox attached to a metal garden chair and some nice mini tools from a fellow club member
  13. Tracy, we've got possible 1-4" between tonight and tomorrow noon! Only been twice in recorded weather data for our area. Still just cold rain tonight.
  14. No dolls in mine. I have a set of the Women of Arts and Letters figurines that 'visit' occasionally, but only cats and dogs actually live in my houses.
  15. I took a hard tumble in the parking lot at work as I was walking in after lunch. Both knees are gruesome looking. I stayed home from work today to do ice packs and pain meds. Left kneecap is fairly swollen. I couldn't sleep for the pain last night and am having trouble going up and down stairs. My bone density test result was wonderful last year, so am pretty sure nothing broke in the fall. Taking advantage of being homebound to work on the Creatology furniture kit (Micheal's puzzle stuff) for son's girlfriend's little daughter for Christmas. Her house (the one that looks like a GL Tennyson)is done and I'm going to give her some of the furniture for each room. There really is way too much to go in the house at one time, so she'll get additional pieces over time. I knew I couldn't finish painting all them before Christmas, and this gives me goodies to give her over the next year.
  16. finish the Beacon Hill. Start the San Fran. Organize tools/supplies. Finish a shadowbox "front door" that I can change decorations with the seasons/holidays. Learn to wire so I don't have to rely on someone else to do it.
  17. dollhouse for a real Doll!
  18. bookmarm

Other houses...

I've built or restored. They range from tiny 1:144 to 1:12 large Brownstone that's in our public library children's room
  19. From the album: Other houses...

I bashed it with a 1/2 scale HW door and trimmed some of the wood tabs that stuck out. The canopies are covered in scrap book paper. The bay wall gaps have kabob skewers