bookmarm

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

Everything posted by bookmarm

1. From the album: Other houses...

I didn't do a very neat job of the floors and stairs. The house will be a gift for my son's girlfriend's 6 year old daughter for Christmas
  2. finishing a Micheal's puzzle house (Tennyson style) for my son's girl friend's little daughter for Christmas. The house is really not a bad build and has bashed a few places relatively smoothly. I'm happy enough that I'll give a kit in our local mini club holiday exchange. I'll take the finished house as testimony that it is a nice kit.
  3. Jeanne, I know your words are true. We have some challenges with our young blind kitty boy, Ray. He was dumped at the local PetSmart by a family that didn't treat his ocular conjunctivitis, and then didn't want a blind cat. Our poodle girl, Ollie, was dumped after being a puppy-mill breeder for many years. She is the sweetest dog ever and I can't imagine why anyone would give her up...but I'm so glad they did.
  4. Good luck with the baby! We have 5 felines, 1 elderly canine, 1 bunny. First things I think about in the grocery store are kibble and litter. Some of our babies have physical limitations that require extra steps, humility (ours), and patience. It is SO wonderful to be loved back by them
  5. after seeing those 3-D puzzle houses for sale at a Holiday Market ($49.!!!!), I came home, took a coupon to Micheal's, and bought them for $5. Only difference seems to be the pricey ones come in a cardboard box and were sold under a different company name.
  6. home sick with a sore throat and wheezy lungs today. Yesterday Jim drove me up to do "monitoring" hours at the Southern Christmas Show "Enchanted Village" (dollhouse exhibit at the show) in Charlotte NC. I have the Glencroft, Westville, and HW conservatory up there. Afterward that we got some shopping and browsing hours in. I spotted a vendor selling the Woodcraft 3-d puzzles...including the "Fantasy Villa". I'm sort of intrigued now with the idea of finding that house (locally and hopefully with a coupon) and bashing it. It isn't a bad looking 1/2 scale house and looks like it could weather some design changes and strengthening. I know we have a thread here about these houses. Course last thing I need is another "house in a box" waiting to be assembled.
  7. lovely weather here finally. I have a week in the hills of NC starting next week. Jim and I are happy about an upcoming trip to Yellowstone in January. Of course the trepidation is over how two old Southern USA folks will stay warm enough to enjoy the wolves and snow. Lots a thermal stuff.
  8. I Hope your stores stock them! Don't forget your coupon. Otherwise, try going on Michael's website. Looks like the canister holds several hundred.
  9. now that State Fair madness is over, I'm working on some plant kits I've accumulated. Also saw a fun idea at a mini clubber's house that was just a shadowbox of a front door and window area that you could decorate for each season. I had a window/door/brick stencil and some 'wall' wood. I thought it would be fun to change the decorations by the front step for whatever holiday comes along. Trying to use only scraps of stuff in my stash.
  10. bookmarm

IMG_5266.JPG

She got a second place ribbon in the SC State Fair last week
  11. In case you are needing great little pumpkins for your Autumn/Halloween/Thanksgiving scenes, I just bought a cannister of these at our local Micheal's craft store. You might be able to get them online, if you don't have a store nearby. They were priced at $5.99, but I had a 40% off coupon. They are real seed pods of some sort and dyed orangey. Theay are adorably unique, like you'd see at a farmers' market
  12. NO, Never! Why is my nose growing so much longer?
  13. Thank you! you do a service to tell us if there is a problem website. Don't worry over flames!
  14. bookmarm

Newberg finished!

it's hard to see, but the front door is a shiny dark red. Youngest son had to replace the window 'glass' with new printed plastic he made on the computer. The old sheets that came with the kit had gotten gummy and scratched.
  15. bookmarm

Newburg progress

it's done, and it's there. I am WAY too old to work till 3 a.m. on these things anymore. 4 days later I'm still in jet lag.
  16. From the album: Other houses...

this is the sewing/yarn room inside the house...which is a collection of 5 shops. I didn't get photos of the other shops before the house got carted off for judging at our State Fair (don't know the results yet).
  17. bookmarm

IMG_5804b.jpg

From the album: Other houses...

top left room is the sewing/yarn shop. Top right is the bookstore. Bottom left is Oriental antiques shop. Bottom right is Floral shop. Top left attic is toy shop. Top right is a bathroom. Sorry no furnishings in this shot. I was blearly trying to finish in time for the State Fair. Furnishings got in at the 13th hour the next day.
  18. bookmarm

interior

shot of "wallpaper" (scrapbooking stuff) and floors.
  19. bookmarm

Newburg progress

since it is an old house restoration, there are some issues to resolve. The front steps were in bad shape, and the roof has concerns. Kellan has made lattice sides for the steps that will make it look much better.
  20. bookmarm

Newburg progress

still have a ways to go before it is finished for the State Fair (2 weeks). Final color is done, brick stencil finished, inside is primed. Now for wallpaper/flooring/furnishings/trim