bookmarm

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

Everything posted by bookmarm

1. bookmarm

Newburg progress

From the album: Other houses...

still have a ways to go before it is finished for the State Fair (2 weeks). Final color is done, brick stencil finished, inside is primed. Now for wallpaper/flooring/furnishings/trim
  2. I started with the Tudor house, then made the school for a retired teacher friend. Yep, you can easily leave sides or backs off. I added a second floor inside the Tudor.
  3. I don't care for plastic, but have to admit the detail is very nice. The big library house came with quite a lot of CB furniture, but it hadn't been stored carefully and many pieces had broken. The bathroom set was fine and is really lovely. I've only bought some of the tableware and depression glass, which I love!
  4. Great suggestions all around! Chris, I really love the 'Seasons' idea! That may be the way I go! Thanks again to all of you! I knew those creative minds would come up with inspiration.
  5. I don't think I usually go for the cutesy either, but since this is going for exhibit at our state fair, I was trying to find something (non-permanent) that would be fun without too much sugar. A thread that the judges would 'get' and would be fun for the crowds who see it. It may also go to several other places over the next few months SL Christmas Show in Charlotte NC.
  6. hummm... thank you for all the great ideas, and please keep them coming! My gears are starting to move again. I was trying to keep the overall 'feel' old fashioned and not too mall-ish. More like what it really is: an old house restored and given new life as a business. The Olde Newberg idea would be simple and easy. But, now I'm thinking about the "Lilli-put". Maybe I should go a garden-y direction with the interior stores? "Lily-put Florist/Tea room", "Bee-hive Books", "Blue Lotus Oriental Antiques,...which leaves the yarn/sewing shop. "Daisy Chain"? Or "Bee Hive" Emporium and come up with garden-y names for the book and yarn shops? I hadn't really thought about the idea that the house is yellow. I even have a tiny woven bee-skep somewhere that could go on the front porch
  7. And what a gift friends are! Grief and depression can't be avoided when you miss someone you love. What about starting a project in her memory...maybe to donate to a local charity/hospital/library, or nursing home? Hugs to you!
  8. here is how it looks so far. The interior is a blank slate, but got primer this afternoon. I have some nice black and white striped cotton fabric to make awnings for the porch and downstairs square windows. The upper windows might get window boxes. Kellan is making a lattice for the sides of the front steps (these are in rough shape).
  9. The old Newberg restoration is well underway and will be my State Fair entry in a few weeks. The house will be an emporium of several stores instead of a family home. My tired brain keeps twisting and turning to find a catchy name for the collection of stores under one roof. I can't think of anything that would tie the all together (books/floral-tearoom/sewing-yarn/Oriental antiques/and a tiny kids play area that will look like a treehouse under one attic roof eave), so I'm just looking for a nice name for the actual house. Each little store/room will probably have a name outside the door ("Blue Lotus Antiques", "Yarning for You" sewing and knitting, "Between the Covers" books, "Maisie & Lily" floral treasures and tearoom, "The Treehouse" play area). I've had a few ideas, but nothing is very zingy: "Bee Hive" Emporium "Pewter Rose" (one of our favorite eating spots in Charlotte NC has this name) "Ivy Trellis" Treasures I'd be so happy to have more suggestions!
  10. She's wonderful!! BTW, Librarians are a very radical bunch nowadays...piercings, tattoos, intent on the quest for freedom of information...and not afraid to squawk for funding at County Council meetings in this economy! LOL!! She would still be a swell Information Services Technician!
  11. finished helping a friend's mom through a tough knitting pattern (written in the 1970's, originally in Spanish w/o a very clear translation, the charts were blurry, used obscure terms). Between us we have gotten over the worst hurdles. This tough lady has been fighting a battle with this vest and now she's ALMOST finished it for her daughter. I give her a merit badge for love and New England determination! This afternoon's task is to brick stencil the foundation of the Newberg. Have decided he will be this year's SC State Fair entry and I've made the promise to make this poor old once homeless fellow sparkle! Finally settled on the outside paint color, and he's now a soft yellow with white trim (he balked when I painted him pink). The porch floor is a sage-y green. I found some black and white striped fabric to make outside awnings over the porch and a few of the lower square windows. He didn't have window 'glass' when we got him, so Kellan made some on the computer. I'm still going with the idea of an 'Emporium' with 4 different stores inside. The shingles have suffered from the years and the ridge roof-line wasn't glued on straight, so those will get some attention. The inside is completely unfinished. But, today's project will be the brick.
  12. Glad to see you back in the forum, Gina! Hope things settle and you can get some rest. Namaste! Day off, got sevral home tasks done. Sinus infection has grown worse and I've had sleeping issues because of it. Need Sinu-RotoRooter. Alexandra cat has been under the weather with the gassy cat trots (NOT to be indelicate on the issue...). Our AC HAS been restored. Had a few hours to wander thrift and consignments stores between grocery/DMV visits. Our local DMV offices have undergone changes to soften (HAHAHA) and make them kinder/friendlier toward the public (HAHAHAHA!) I don't HAHA lightly...I have been their victim several times, however today I was on their side as a patron went wacko over something the DMV employee had no control over and was a State law. The employee was very kind, sympathetic, offered advice, and reassured the lady that the issue was still trying to be resolved. The lady continued to have a loud tantrum.
  13. bookmarm

wedding doll

and let me tell you how BEAUTIFUL Sandra's dolls are! She is so sweet and generous and gave me the porcelain body kit to start this project. Namaste, Sandra!
  14. bookmarm

wedding doll

Thank you! Your encouragement has helped push me further to start the display (boy, do I NEED a big nudge to get anything started lately...SC heat has fried my brain!). I found a nice unfinished box today at AC Moore and have some ideas how to put all together.
  15. I'm so glad she was lucky and found a loving home where she will be spoiled and cherished!
  16. I keep thinking I can probably extend the roof over flatter in a section to provide more 'headroom' in that top spot without ruining the front balance of the house...but we'll see. Old houses certainly did have odd shaped areas when families extended their living areas, but I'm "Grande Empress Architect" of my personal miniature universe, and can deem the house 'not to code' without changes. Thank you, Holly and Audra for your thoughts.
  17. Welcome! This forum is filled with friendly talented folks! You'll find a lot of inspiration and help here!
  18. I just bought a kit from a friend and am not going to start it for awhile. I'm just starting to get some ideas about it. The top tower room just looks odd to me with the slope of the roof dangling down. Has anyone tried changing the design in this room?
  19. bookmarm

30 years ago

LOL, wish I was still that thin....
  20. came home from mini club with another house in a box...SF 555. Trying to find a place to hide it. Maybe the Purloined Letter technique of in plain sight.
  21. bookmarm

Dolls

I'm just getting started making a few dolls, under the guidance of a mini club member
  22. bookmarm

30 years ago

From the album: Dolls

my very helpful bridesmaids getting me to the chapel on time...across the wet grass of the Horseshoe on USC (SC) campus.
  23. it's a great feeling when you know the gift is appreciated! I hope everything works out, Sherry! Yep, mine is in the Children's Room of our Main library in downtown Columbia. The library won an award that created JUST enough cash to pay for the plexi cover and stand. The cover is extremely heavy and requires some burly guys to lift it when I visit and redecorate it for changing seasons and holidays. One fun activity we have is a scavenger hunt for visitors. There are printed lists of items that can be found inside. All the items move around when I redecorate. The kids really enjoy this! There is a tiny mouse that is hard to spot, so a library staff member is entrusted with the location, in case of a frustration meltdown. Even as sturdy as the base and cover are, I still get asked to visit and fix items that have tumbled over in 'earthquakes'. Everything is stuck down pretty firmly with wax, but tumbles still happen.
  24. the idea of lace 'wire' is great! I need to file that. Love the bunnies and hutch! I finished the bride doll I've been planning for a year or so. I'm happy with her and added a few photos in my gallery. Mini club meeting this afternoon and we're learning to make irises for a garden project.