bookmarm

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

Posts posted by bookmarm

1. GL houses are much more challenging to build than most company's, but the details make it so worth the time. The wood is thinner, and the parts are numerous. They are "drama queens" and fight back, at times, but the trade back is that they aren't boring square boxes. My Beacon Hill is still only partially built because she's pouting about extensions I'm making in some rooms, and she and I agreed to take a step-away. I'm building a GL Brimbles Mercantile (will be a small public library, instead of a store) right now.

2. took Easter lunch to my mom and finished installing the new washer for her. She and I talked further about her moving to an assisted living spot near us. She is 93. I think she is ready, but afraid she won't like it. It is a nice friendly place where the residents seem engaged in activities and very well cared for. We've visited there twice with her and had good vibes about the quality and care. Her memory and hearing continue to fail, so it would be a relief to know she is in a spot where she can be around folks, 3 meals a day, have options for activities, and her blood pressure med given on schedule.

Spent the last few hours painting the porch posts of the Brimbles Public Library. I do love this laser cut kit!

3. Hi Holly!!! Have missed all of you!! Many months of trying to get my 93 year old mom better hearing aids and decisions on assisted living places. Emotional roller coaster for all of us. Glad to be mini-minded again!

4. Congrats to you and Chris!!! I've been away and hadn't seen your news until this morning! Both of mine were c-sections (first was an emergency, the second son stayed breach to the end).

I know you can't wait for that little one to arrive!

5. Thanks Audra. I'm missing the entire sheets 1,2,3 which include base floors and pretty important to start. If the previous owners had left the punched out frames, I might be able to recreate them, but I think I'm just out of luck on building this house kit. Some of the other sheets are missing some pieces, but I could trace and recreate those. I was really getting inspired to start this one, so I'm disappointed. I've sent an e-mail to the previous owner to ask if she might have started it and have the sheets still around, but I think it's very unlikely.

6. well, Kimberly, at least you know where all the pieces up till this point will go! Sorry you have to start over, but sounds like you have great motivation! I made my FF a few years ago and really love that little house. There are some photos in my gallery. It is a booger to wallpaper and paint if it's already together, so try to get primer on the inside pieces before gluing the walls together. I especially remember how hard it was to get a paintbrush down the upstairs hallway when I was doing touch-ups. Good luck and enjoy the build!

7. finally got back in the mood to 'mini', so I thought I'd start the DC SFranciscan kit a friend gave me a while back. Opened it to discover first 3 sheets are MIA. Packed it back up. Too cold to work down in the basement where most of my minis are set up, so thinking of hauling the Beacon Hill up to work on. The frame is mostly together, but I don't have much space to work on it upstairs. Sigh. I may lose my mini mood to frustration.

8. I have a kit from 1995 for the 555. I looked through and it's missing parts. Sheets 1,2,3 are missing completely, and sheets 13,14,17,18 are missing a few parts (all of the tower roof parts, and porch trim). I can re-create some of the missing bits that are simple shapes with my hand saw. What to do? The company is out of business, right?

Drat!

9. I've only used the gallery glass paint and redileads on big stuff for our home, but some of the things I learned a few things from that experience. Draw the design on paper, then tape that to the back of the clear piece being working on so the design is easy to follow. Clean the surface you are working on very well with rubbing alcohol. I made my glass pieces probably 8 years ago and they are kept in windows. No problems with them peeling or fading so far. BTW, if someone is looking for a human scale project: I found several cheap wooden frames with glass at A C Moore. Took all but the glass out and used these to make my "stained glass" with redileads and gallery paint.

post-2290-1293644372_thumb.jpg

10. I think most of our staff at the library have colds. Patrons bring back books they've had at home while recovering, so no wonder we all are sick. We keep hand sanitizer by each desk. My sons had this last week. A co-worker suggested Advil Cold and Sinus, which has given me some relief. It's one of those meds you have to ask for at the pharmacy counter now. Sons brought back "Feel Better" chicken and spinach wonton soup from a restaurant last night. They have it listed by that name on the menu.

11. Kathie, I feel your pain! I dread dress-up events. When I can't get out of them I usually opt for a black base-layer (dress/tights/shoes) and a fancy shawl or scarf..maybe fastened with a nice brooch. I have a foot issue, as well, so I go for simple flat slip ons. I'm not a shopper and I hate malls, but we do have a few great consignment shops near by that often have just the thing for far less cost. Good luck!

12. Anna, the bathroom looks so beautiful! I love the blue tile!

I'm home with a head cold, so am working on the Micheal's puzzle house villa. I can't tell if it is closer to 1/2 scale or 1/4. I couldn't replace the front door with a 1/2 scale HW, because the opening is too small. The front rounded turret definitely improved with small square wood trim in the areas the pieces meet. I haven't completely figured the staircase out yet. Still working out the colors of inside walls.

13. Home with a head cold today, so catching up with laundry and pet cleaning. Sons are home with me so they may not be aware they will be my chore slaves to clean bunny hutches and litter pans.

Surprising how much snow is still on lawns in our neighborhood from the Christmas night storm. It got us cracking on gathering some warm stuff to bundle in when Jim and I head to Yellowstone mid January for a week. This is our birthdays/anniversary/Christmas gift to each other this year. We'll be staying in lodges and traveling by snow coach. Jim has already ordered a few things from Landsend and Bean, but we'd welcome any suggestions for things to take from anyone living in the cold regions. I hate to take too much, and we won't be hiking much and skiing. I figure warm head/toes/hands and then layer in between. Dry skin is always a problem for me when I travel out West.