• Last visited

4 Neutral

About ADayInTheMiniLife

Contact Methods

• Website URL
    http://adayintheminilife.blogspot.com/

Profile Information

• Interests
    The Beatles!, Minis, cross-stitch, painting, anything to do with arts and crafts, building things myself

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    Please Select
  • Real Name
    Kris
  • Country
    United States
  1. Sorry about the multiple reply posts. I hit post but it was taking forever. Then once it did, it had posted tons of duplicates. Trying to i Erase the extras but it's not doing that either. Ill try to fix it, just wanted to say sorry. Holly, ya i really love the Fairfield, but I'm a 1"scale only type person. Otherwise id say forget it n just do it. But i figured lots of people here would love it. Maybe ill get lucky n find sometime w a 1"Fairfield. Lmao u never know, stranger things have happened. And i know the money i blew in this won't be a complete waste. :-) Kris
  2. I got few messages, hopefully they will work out. I'm leary of CL anymore. I've contacted quite a few people about houses DH items and get things worked out, and then they never show, stop replying, change their mind, or some other crazy excuse. The last one i contacted was supposed to be giving me a house, supplies, items, tools, n more since she was moving and couldn't bring her DH work shop with her. Then as the day drew near she disappeared and never heard from her again. I don't get why CL is such bad luck for me. Maybe ill browse n try again, but hopefully one on here will work out. I just don't want it to go to waste. I need to pay attention more to scales when buying stuff from here on out. Lol is kind of a bummer cuz the Fairfield is a gorgeous house hence y i got it to build, lol. Eventually ill find the 1"one. Thanks all Kris
  3. I got few messages, hopefully they will work out. I'm leary of CL anymore. I've contacted quite a few people about houses DH items and get things worked out, and then they never show, stop replying, change their mind, or some other crazy excuse. The last one i contacted was supposed to be giving me a house, supplies, items, tools, n more since she was moving and couldn't bring her DH work shop with her. Then as the day drew near she disappeared and never heard from her again. I don't get why CL is such bad luck for me. Maybe ill browse n try again, but hopefully one on here will work out. I just don't want it to go to waste. I need to pay attention more to scales when buying stuff from here on out. Lol is kind of a bummer cuz the Fairfield is a gorgeous house hence y i got it to build, lol. Eventually ill find the 1"one. Thanks all Kris
  4. I got few messages, hopefully they will work out. I'm leary of CL anymore. I've contacted quite a few people about houses DH items and get things worked out, and then they never show, stop replying, change their mind, or some other crazy excuse. The last one i contacted was supposed to be giving me a house, supplies, items, tools, n more since she was moving and couldn't bring her DH work shop with her. Then as the day drew near she disappeared and never heard from her again. I don't get why CL is such bad luck for me. Maybe ill browse n try again, but hopefully one on here will work out. I just don't want it to go to waste. I need to pay attention more to scales when buying stuff from here on out. Lol is kind of a bummer cuz the Fairfield is a gorgeous house hence y i got it to build, lol. Eventually ill find the 1"one. Thanks all Kris
  5. I got few messages, hopefully they will work out. I'm leary of CL anymore. I've contacted quite a few people about houses DH items and get things worked out, and then they never show, stop replying, change their mind, or some other crazy excuse. The last one i contacted was supposed to be giving me a house, supplies, items, tools, n more since she was moving and couldn't bring her DH work shop with her. Then as the day drew near she disappeared and never heard from her again. I don't get why CL is such bad luck for me. Maybe ill browse n try again, but hopefully one on here will work out. I just don't want it to go to waste. I need to pay attention more to scales when buying stuff from here on out. Lol is kind of a bummer cuz the Fairfield is a gorgeous house hence y i got it to build, lol. Eventually ill find the 1"one. Thanks all Kris
  6. My mom and i introduced my daughter to shrinky dinks n she lives them. I remember em from when i was little. The website allows u to but either clear, opaque, n even black sheets now. I've tried windows. I haven't tried the different colors. They do come out thick. Would beer best for a etched glass toe deal since they aren't clear when done. Also u gotta be careful about shrinkage. The hardest part tho is prob going to be that they sometimes curl up as you are baking them. It says that they should flatten out automatically, but that isn't true. I had a few charms my daughter made keep curling up n was unable to straighten out. Also the longer you cook them, then tinier and thicker they seem to get. I think making tiny buttons would work, maybe jewelry pieces to place in a box, using it to make a piece of artwork for the walk would be neat, even maybe a sculpture. I believe that u could possibly make a bottle. If u first lay it on a Dowell our something to help it curl, n as it heats up make it round, then before it's fully shrunk n while it's really hot n pliable, press the sides together and i believe the plastic will fuse together. Maybe a lighter and metal prod of some sort will help. I'm nit positive as i haven't tried that yet. But i believe there could b many many uses for it. It would make good windows for in the small octagon windows that are in the attics sometimes. As an art display piece. Plus since you can sick then in your printer now, possibilities are quite endless i think. I think I'm actually gonna go find my daughters kit n see if i can play a bit n see what i can come up with. It's funny that I've been thinking about S.D and using it in DH items for a while, and low n behold i come across this. Lol Id love to see or know what others made or came up with in regards to this. Kris
  7. Mary, you have beautiful items. i can probably put my two cents in about sales. I'm on disability and barely have enough to live on each month. It gets harder n harder to buy items. And as stated and known, the economy is such a mess. But what i do on etsy when i see something i must have, or would like is i pm the person and ask if they'd allow me to make payments. I try to bundle a few items if i can, ask them, n let them know what i can afford each month. I think almost everyone I've asked to do that have worked with me. Also another thing that has helped me is they will put items on holds for me if i tell them i don't get my check till so n so date, n that i can pay then for them. Those little things have helped tremendously n the ability to get things that i prob wouldn't be able to otherwise. I also was thinking, that most of us who do DH stuff are usually good at arts n crafts. And i know personally when i see something, before i buy, i always ask myself "can i do that?" And be able to save what little money i have. I typically spend money on items i can't make. I need to just be super careful with my money. Thats just a few thoughts coming from someone who lives to shop, but had severely limited funds. But think about doing holds or lay away payments to make it easier in people to be able to buy your goods. Eventually I'd like to be a customer. But this month i super tight. I hope that this has possibly helped some. Good luck to u. Don't give up. Kris
  8. Hi all. I have a Greenleaf 1/2" Fairfield house that i bought off if Ebay not realizing it was 1/2 scale, and I don't like working but in 1"size. Before trying to sell on Ebay, i figured id ask here if anyone would be willing to trade it for a house kit they may have laying around in 1'size and I'll ship the Fairfield to you in return. I'm not really particular in what I'm looking for and open to anything Longs it's regular scale. The Fairfield is in the box and was open to make sure all contents were there. All pieces, wood, window sheets, and instructions are all there. If your interested in buying the house instead of a trade, let me know. Shoot me an email or leave me a message on here. I do hope to find someone with a house tho so i could work on that. As i stated I'm not picky n open to pretty much any type if house. Id be willing to pay for s+h . Ill give this about a week or so n see what type if response i get. Thanks everyone in advance. Hope to hear from you. Have a good one. If you would like pictures of the kit, please let me know and ill message them to u. Thanks again, Kris
  9. Mad for mod- thanks so much for that site! I love it!! Sorry it took me a while to reply. Haven't been on from health issues. I plan on getting back to things tho n finally staying a Beatles room our maybe house. And now with that site, i see allot more possibilities now! Thanks a ton! That made me really excited. Lol
  10. Thanks Ill have to look into it. Only prob atm is that my printer went belly-up. Im tryin to get an all in one printer scanner fax etc. Until then I guess Ill have to wait. Not having one has kinda slowed things down. I thought about making my own chair and couch. But was hoping just to find an older one to use to redo it and kinda go from there. But seeing as its snowing, and it'll be a while on fabric, I guess I should get out my wood and other stuff and try it. Plus itll give me practice i guess for when I get my house finally. Wish me luck. If anyone does have any Beatles fabric leftover and sees this tho, let me know in the mean time. Thanks Kris
  11. Hello. I'm looking for a few things and figured I would try here first before going elsewhere. First off I'm looking for Beatles fabric. Anything you have. doesn't have to be huge pieces, even leftover scraps would help. And as many designs as you have if possible. I had a ton, and lost it moving and you can no longer buy it. I'm willing to pay for it, and S+H, but would really like to find someone who'd be interested in possibly trading some fabric? I have lots, and different types and colors that would be perect for mini, It's up to you. When you contact me, or reply just let me just let me know which you're interested in. Second, I'm looking for a couch, loveseat, settee, armchair, stuff like that. Condition doesn't really matter. I'm going to reuppholster it with the Beatles fabric longs I can find some. It can be older, used, leftover, anything. Longs I can redo it. No plastic tho. lol. I'm thinking two small pieces that would go together. So any combo of the above. Like I said,armchair and couch, two chairs, couch and loveseat, loveseat and armchair, lounge, etc. I plan on doing a Beatles "Room" and do it all up with my Beatles posters and stuff I have of my own, and make a little scene in a shadow box I have and want to work with. Making a beatles cross stitch rug atm, and going thru all my magazines and other items I have, plus anything I can find online. So that's where the Beatles fabric and chair/couch comes in at. Also, if you have anything else that you think would fit and go in the room, let me know. I don't have a ton to spend,and plan on most of it myself. I'm debating on making a record player, or possibly buying or looking for one. Not sure yet. I see it in my head. But it will be a blast for me as im a huge finatic! XD So Please let me know what you have and we can go from there! Thanks all so much . Here's some of the little things I have for the walls and shelves. Also have a pair of round "Lennon" glasses I want ti make blue or green with "Glass"... I really can't wait to work on this project once I find at least the fabric! Fingers crossed. Kris
  12. I always look in thrift stores, and when its nice and they have the outside area open to the flea/farmers market. But mainly only people that sell there anymore is cheaply mass produced made in china purses and junk like that. None of the personal items for sale like it used to be. Like I said Im always green with envy at what other people are able to find in their thrift stores. I've never seen a house or DH items or bags of the hair. And I always go thru EVERYTHING as deep as I can go. lol. One day maybe I'll get lucky. I plan on going to a few this weekend. Apparently there's another freeze coming thru and possibly snow and yet another winter advisory. Today it was 9degrees without wind chill factor. So a good time for cuddling up with hot tea and finishing my doll and working on other stuff. I was gonna post a pic of the doll head i sculpted just to test out the color of the clay and how it'd look, but can't seem to attatch it. >< It came out ok for my first sculpt and considering it was a quick one just to test out. This real ones coming along better. I'll post pics once my net is working normally and I can get pics uploaded. I'm kinda proud of myself lol I am gonna need to get that hair soon tho. Quick question...mostly ive seen the glue method. Any tips for that? Mainly all ive seen is using the reg tacky glue, and glueing the back and up the middle and some up front. Like I said I'm pretty sure i'm going to leave it long and straight. Not gonna do a up-do or anything like that. Any tips would be great. Also, should I "texture" the head before I bake it to help the hair stay on? Kris
  13. Thanks. I'm off ooking right now. I couldn't remember the name. And if there was anthing else that could be used. As for other inhabitants, I've seen those I think they're called happy family or something, and come in everything from cat and dog families, to monkees skunks and bears..Which are really cute. I haven't seen homemade ones yet tho. Just fairies and stuff like that. Mine will have my char, and I plan on having a ton of pets like ive always had. I need to figure out how to make suagr gliders, flying squirrels and a prairie dog. All of which I've had. I plan on my house being able to be lived in by me thru her. lol. So I willl live in my house too. And every time i read another post here I think of more I need to start working on. lol I can see it all in my head..now I need to execute! Back to the clay. (Its 7:45am, so Good Morning All!XD) Kris PS- Where is the best/cheapest place to get the hair? Or should I just spend a while and look all over? I really don't want a ton. Or spending a ton either. lol
  14. Holly, forgot to say I like your dolls. The Kimpossible ones r quite interesting. I like how u say how ugly they are but perfect for the trailer. lol One thing I haven't thought about yet or have is stuff to make the hair/wig. Unless I cut some of my own I need to figure that out relatively soon if I have the doll worked on to the point of where i'm hoping by tomorrow. I don;t like the craft store doll wig curls stuff they have in bags.I read a few other different things.But unsure as to whats best. i would like her to have long straight black hair like mine tho...
  15. I've never sculpted or used these types of clay before. I got the two colors of Sculpey Living Doll. One in "Light Skin" the other in "Baby". One looks a little pinkier then the other. But I figure before I do my doll full force I should take a little of each as is, and make a little face or something and bake it just to see how it looks. Then I can add or mix as needed. I can always add paint later if needed. I'm good at painting and fine details. Its the sculpting part that scares me. I did look at some of the molds at Michaels, but didn't like them very much and figure I just keep working at mine til I am happy. I'm hoping to have the mixture worked out and have the head done and baked as well as the chest and hopefully have the hands and feet started by end of tomorrow. The tiny fingers and toes are daunting to me too. I like the needle eye idea for the nails and will try that. Am even debating once i have the hands done whether or not I can add "fake clay accrylic nails to her" lol. I must be nuts! Guess we'll see. Gotta make her look real and be able to stand and move first. She'll be able to move waist, calf up, forearm up, and may try to be able to make her head turn. But not sure with doing the head attatched to the bust. It'll all be learning for me. I've gone thru the net and read, watched youtube videos, and all that. But I think in the end you prob need to learn ur own style. We shall see. I'm off to throw some of the living doll clay into the over to see how it looks. Fingers crossed. Kris OH HOLLY..............Or anyone else.Ihad asked this on my blog and been wondering a long time but can't seem to find a definitive answer. What is the difference (if any) between translucent and "white" translucent? Anything? Is one more "clear" then the other? Alot I seem to find say is that it's just preference. I have 2 packs of each. But still don't get it... any info would be appreciated and keep me from continuing to scratch my head. lol