james dean

Gold Member
  • Last visited

0 Neutral

About james dean

Profile Information

• Interests
    Making wooden purses, beaded purses, and beaded jewelry. Well, and now i am hopelessly addicted to all things miniature.

Retained

• Member Title
    Rebel Without A Cause

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    Four
  • Real Name
    briana
  • Country
    United States

Recent Profile Visitors

1,735 profile views
  1. I was thinking of another contest house, but even with the excellent price I couldn't justify spending money. I have to pay for school next semester, so education wins this round. :angry: Plus I don't really have room for anymore dollhouses right now.
  2. I don't know if you do any landscaping in your dioramas, but this site is very cool and informative. stormthecastle.com It shows how to create different landscaping effects such as hills and realstic grassed areas. Also very interesting to see the different dioramas.
  3. How can you tell if something is 1:12th scale? The reason I ask is because I noticed in all the miniature scenes here and in other places the objects inside and around the dollhouses are in scale with the scene/house. I want to become better at creating miniature scenes that are in scale, so any advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
  4. How about the buttercup or primrose by Greenleaf or the Orchid by Corona Concepts? I got an Orchid from Hobby Lobby with the 40% off coupon so it was a good buy. The only thing about the Orchid, is the gables, they take some patience to get right otherwise it's a great house. FYI: The tab and slot houses from Greenleaf are much easier to build than the RGT houses (At least I think so). Good luck in choosing a dollhouse, there are so many great ones to choose from.
  5. Now I have my family scouring the web and magazines for any mention of minis. It took a while but I finally broke them in. My dad actually found this site it shows 1:24th scale cars and buildings. Very nice for inspiration. http://www.flickr.com/photos/24796741@N05/...ith/2346008881/ The next mini sighting comes courtesy of my sister the interior designer. Elle Decorations January 2010 has an article featuring minis. The magazine shows multiple pictures of the interior of a dollhouse. You can find a copy of the magazine at Barnes & Noble or other bookstores.
  6. I found some very nice beauty shop items online, but some of them are a little pricey. I was wondering if anyone knew of tutorials for making beauty shop items (hair cutting chair, shampoo station, mirror unit etc.) Any help will be appreciated.
  7. I got my kit on Saturday, it came Fedex. It is very cool. My sister saw it and gave me a better idea what to do with it. I believe it will be a very easy kit to assemble, it won't take long to build.
  8. I don't know if you're still looking for artist easels but I found a package of two artist canvas' and two easels for about $4.00 at Michaels. I hope this helps.
  9. There are pics in my albums. The pics document the process of making the tree. The pics are backwards so start at the end..
  10. I posted a new entry in my blog, how to make a tree. I hope that you find this helpful.
  11. Hi, everyone in this post I will be telling you how to make a tree. ***FYI The measurements given in this tutorial are only approximate. It's more about personal preference than accuracy. *** Tools & Materials: Painters Tape or Masking Tape (Preferably white) Flush cutters (any tool that can cut wire are fine) Wire (28 gauge works well) Since we will be twisting the wire multiple times a wire with less thickness will work best. Brown florist tape (You can also use Paperclay [found at Hobby Lobby & other such stores] however, Paperclay isn't recommended for a bigger tree, because it gets too heavy. Cut several pieces of your 28 gauge wire (approx. 30 Inches) Twist the bundle of wire together for 6 inches Double your wire Twist back down to where your original wire twisting began If you want to make your branches with the different off-shoots, when you double your wire twist down but instead of returning to the original wire only twist about ¼ in down & then return to the original wire Continue to add wire and off-shoot branches until you are satisfied with the thickness of your tree branches. Continue adding branches until you reach your tree design. (you can have as few or as many branches as you want) once the ultimate tree design is met you can create the trunk. For this tutorial I used a toilet tissue roll for the trunk. Take the bundle of connected branches & place them in the toilet paper roll wrap the roll in masking tape *Make sure to also wrap up some of the branches to make the tree look more realistic **There are more pictures in My Albums. They're backwards (can't figure out how to put them in the right order) so start at the end.** Hope this is helpful
  12. So I finally decided to try out my brick compound and stencil kit that I won from a dollhouse miniatures magazine contest. It was pretty easy to apply the only thing that I would caution people is to make sure your stencil is straight and place the stencil the same way each time. I used the compound to brick my Adams for the miniatures.com contest (w/ a 750g bag) and I still have a little bit left. I think the end result is awesome I used acryllic paints to age the bricks a little bit ( since the look I was going for was an old building that has been used for many a-year). Pics to come.
  13. james dean

Tree

How I made the tree for the HBS contest 2009
  14. Your entry is awesome. I would never have thought of that theme. I'm entirely jealous of your talent. I am always blown away by the extremely talented people on this site. I find taking the pictures the hardest part of the contest, after putting so much time into the entry, & then only being able to submit 4 pics. Talk about driving you crazy. Good Luck with the contest