Profile Information

Previous Fields

• Real Name
    Melissa
  • Country
    United States

Recent Profile Visitors

464 profile views
  1. I think my mom thought that it would be some piece of amateur-looking pseudo-toy when I was done (all she really remembers of the Glencroft I had when I was 8 or 9 is hot gluing on all of the *&^$# shingles). When she sees it, and I showed her how all of the lights really work, and all of the realistic accessories I have to go in it, she was actually impressed. And my dad (!) is totally into it. He comes over weekly to see my progress, and wants to see every new thing I've gotten for it, and has to walk his fingers up and down the staircase, etc. As he told me, he loves models, and a dh is really just a model house! As for my friends at work, they are all fascinated by it, mainly because I'm building it myself. Some of the most macho guys at work will talk to me forever about their model ships with rigging, and how I electrified my dh, and want to see pictures! One guy even came in to tell me about the LockUp episode with the inmate building dhs, and offered to tape it for me! Everyone always asks me about my progress, and is impressed by the research I've done to make it historically accurate. I never thought I'd get that positive of a response, but I'm so glad I have! I think once people realize I'm building a dh that takes up most of my coffee table and is almost as tall as I am when sitting on said coffee table, they can recognize that this is not some plastic toy and is a work of art instead. Thank goodness for me! Melissa
  2. It looks just gorgeous...I'm glad Jerry could help you out with the oriel window (I didn't hear from you and figured you had another solution). Congrats, you'll be done soon...and I'm such a slowpoke Melissa
  3. A mangle is the wringer that wet laundry was put in to squeeze the excess water out of before hanging to dry. I've done too much research on Victorian lifestyles in my quest to make a historically-accurate dh...
  4. If you'd like, I could send you a cardboard template of the pieces you're missing...maybe you could either use those or cut new pieces from them. PM me if you're interested! Melissa
  5. Just beautiful...I am amazed and astounded! Great job, as always Melissa
  6. I love it! Mind if I steal your idea for mine? I hated the thought of the little kids possible falling into the hole in the floor and had gotten a railing for it, but was wondering how the maid would get up to her attic room... If I build a hallway, that solves both problems and I can put in another staircase! Melissa
  7. For some reason I've always wanted my dhs to be historically accurate, and I'm not into modern stuff at all. My MHM is set in the 1880s England countryside, with a middle-class family, and my Duracraft Queen Anne will be a 1760s New England house with a lower middle-class family. I know, Queen Anne style doesn't fit with colonial times, but I've got a backstory for that... So I've done lots of research on English Victorian styles, customs, etc. and also colonial times. I have photos of my great-grandparents on their wedding day in 1876 that I want to put up in the MHM, and I've got lots of HOM furniture to put together for the colonial house whenever I get done with the MHM! I think I have one more dh in me after that, probably a Little House on the Prairie-type house (the furnishings, at least). I can't decide what dh to get for this--I don't want that family to be middle-class, definitely pioneers...I guess I have plenty of time to decide! Melissa
  8. I agree with Marg, the only thing missing is furniture! I am completely blown away at how fabulous it turned out...and I'm glad someone else already asked about the windows--I'm going to do that to my colonial dh now! Don't change a thing It is truly awe-inspiring! Melissa
  9. You did such a great job on her! I think her hair looks fabulous--I'd never guess it wasn't done by a "professional" I'll soon (hopefully) be tackling my own wigging adventure, and I don't think it will turn out nearly as good as yours did! Her dress looks beautiful, too! Melissa
  10. I can't wait to get some to cover the edges of my MDF house...I didn't want to leave them white, but also didn't want to have to cut up lots of little pieces of strip wood. Thanks for the tip! Guess I need another stop when running errands tomorrow Melissa
  11. Gorgeous staircase, and I love the living room rug! You've done a great job with everything :wicked: Melissa
  12. Okay, you guys sold me on it...I haven't started cutting trim yet, but my little miter box and saw might have to share the load with an Easy Cutter I'm off to Jo-Ann's with my 40% off coupon! Melissa
  13. So beautiful...the burgundy adds just the right amount of punch, and with the white and gray looks really good! Melissa
  14. My favorite quote (and I can't even remember who said it): "Buttered bread always falls buttered side down. On the rare occasion it does not, one must conclude that the wrong side of the bread was buttered." So true! :o Melissa
  15. madsenmel

The lights work!

Thanks, you guys! LOL, it really is true how happy the little things make you...I was doing the dance of joy around my dh and my cats thought I was insane Melissa