About savinggrace

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    Please Select
  • Real Name
    Mel
  • Country
    United States
  1. CONGRATULATIONS! We have puppies due December 2nd! (collies) Best Wishes!
  2. Please Help! I'm attaching exterior window/door trim at the moment; and I am finding the "vague" instructions and schematics rather frustrating!!!!! Specifically, regarding the attic window; front section. I am assuming that trim "attic top" are indeed the top pieces. But here is where I am confused...for example on schematic sheet 31 there are both "attic side trim" and "attic sides" Whereas the "wide window" trim and "front door" trim neatly fit the bottom of the windows; the "attic side trim which I affixed to the outside of the attic window stops short about a quarter of an inch. Professionally; I proof read legal documents for our development company. I am accustomed to every. thing. being. spelled. out. no. room. for. interpetation. Greenleaf's instructions and schematics could certainly benefit from a re-write.
  3. Thank you! I'll try the wallpaper/cardboard tip. I'm glad to hear thinning Aileen's glue works ok! I know a house as grand as the Garf. deserves to be electrified; it is just that even with all my do it yourself experience-I have always convieniently avoided everything electrical. At this point in time, electricity is not in my plans. Not to say it will not be in the future. I'm contemplating once this is suitably finished to begin a Glencroft to be donated as a charity auction item. I think I might attempt electrical in the simpler Glencroft as a first electrical project. And after that; I think I will have little time for construction as we are expecting a new baby in Febuary : )
  4. My daughter's Garfield is coming along nicely; Sunday I did two coats of primer inside and out everything I wanted painted; two coats of stain on what I wanted stained. Yesterday I assembled the foundation, first floor stairs with the exception of hinges on the closet door. Does anyone have tips on the best way to put on hinges? I have small hands but gosh....those nails are TINY! As seems consistant with what everyone else is finding-local miniature stores are fewer and very far between; I find myself waiting on internet orders and I would like to look into alternatives for finishes. Specifically, wallpaper. A local craft store has a 2 for $1.00 sale on Scrapbook papers. They are acid free and seem thicker than ordinary paper, with a nice finish. Has anyone had success using scrapbook paper for wallpaper? Thank You! I'll share photos soon : ) Melissa
  5. Yes, I am finding the instructions vague as well. TP1 how is your Garfield coming along? I'm hoping to get my daughters assembled by Christmas which will mean some marathon sessions. Today for example I spent practically the entire day preparing labeling painting staining, which reminds me how much I enjoy this sort of thing. I would love tips from Garfield graduates (and those still in process) What do you feel MUST be completed prior to total assembly? (I mean so far as finishes) I have gotten the impression that the living room will need to be wallpapered because of the staircase. I've stained floors; painted the kitchen floor. Stained the staircase, painted the risers. Painted the exterior and interior walls, ceilings, some trim. I have reserved the doors, the fireplace pieces, the dining room built in to stain. Tomorrow I plan to assemble the foundation and staircases. Do you think it is possible to affix siding after total assembly? I hoped I could wait on wallpaper, electrical, siding and shingles. Thank you!
  6. Thank you for the great ideas (and the link to the other topic)! I particularly love the "no girls allowed" treehouse; and a Peter Pan type world.
  7. I have decided to just move ahead and begin prepping the Garfield to be built; in addition my 4 yr old barged in on what I was doing and the gig is up 4 yr old's not being famous for keeping secrets This will be a gift for my daughter from ME not SANTA. Anyways; we have been browsing miniature shops ect. and my boys are just as fascinated as my girls are Miniatures are such a magical world for anyone, any age it seems. I would love ideas of projects I could do for my boys. They already have castles (though moulded plastic). I was thinking perhaps a rustic cabin a fire house a police station Has anyone done miniature buildings for boys? They are younger (ages 9 and 4) Do you have any thoughts; suggestions on kits; perhaps photos to share as inspiration? Thank You!
  8. Ben, that would be quite helpful I am certain a two-piece Garfield would be considerably more practical! Which has me even more sold on ordering a Pierce.
  9. Hello, I cannot help with the side by side comparison I am afraid; but we just recieved the Garfield and upon opening the box and REALLY paying attention to the dimensions I am forced to rethink my original plans in many regards. Specifically, we have standard interior doors in this house. And to get it out of the room; we would either a. need to remove the doors and door trim of the house we reside within b. need to install scaffolding, gently guide it out through an exterior second and a half story window, around and into another second and a half story window to the intended room. I'm contemplating putting the Garfield back into the box and putting the box into storage and buying a Pierce. I am familiar with the Pierce model, and it is a very beautiful and impressive dollhouse in it's own right! I choose the Garfield because of the additional rooms and because it has 7 gables (a gift for my Anne of Green Gables loving daughter!). Best Wishes!
  10. I'm browsing all the Garfield threads I can find, and want to say thanks for all the tips and beautiful photos. It's particularly helpful to see and hear about different stages of construction!
  11. Thank you for the warm welcomes! I just browsed 5 pages of "Garfield" topics in the model specific section to avoid redundant questions and I am sooooo greatful for the head's up in many regards. Specifically-I knew it was a large kit, but after measuring the interior doorways I have formulated a new game plan I shall wrap up the box; (for beneath the tree) spend the next few weeks priming, painting, wallpapering, floor finishing and assembling minor components (sounds like the staircase is a doozy!) And it will be assembled in my daughter's bedroom after Christmas! Thank you as well for the no hot glue tip; in hindsight I think that was the main reason for my childhood Arthur's demise; many many years later. May I ask; would anyone be so kind to furnish me with a list of components which can be pre-assembled prior to the houses final construction? Also, how many packages of 3/8's siding should I purchase; how many packages of shingles will I need. I am fairly certain the exterior color will be a green shade of some sort. As fur further plans; I will be converting a plywood square brio train table for the display area, and I personally dream of picket fences, brick sidewalk and driveway, and plenty of roses in the lawn. Regards, Melissa
  12. Hello, By way of introduction, I am Melissa and I have been fascinated with miniatures since I was quite young. I am currently constructing my second dollhouse project; the first was the Greenleaf Arthur when I was about 12 or 13; and now for my daughter, I am taking on a much larger project, the Greenleaf Garfield. It is to be her "big" Christmas gift; along with a lovely Anne of Green Gables book! I'm not going to lie, I am feeling slightly overwhelmed at the moment-taking a break after labeling and punching out sheets 1, 2, and 3 (of 39!) I can imagine I will need a bit of hand holding these next few weeks; I look forward to getting to know you all; and hope I can offer support and advice to others once I am a bit more experienced and confident! Best Wishes! Melissa