kathi17

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by kathi17

1. That's a great example of what I was talking abut Holly! There are so many ways of arranging the Orchid that it's worth experimenting before adding the inside dividers!
  2. I just checked her website, since I am in the US, and it looks like she makes some really interesting products. Thanks for the link!
  3. kathi17

waterbasinoct25.jpg

It's funny how bamboo is supposed to be so popular because it is renewable, and plastic is supposed to be unpopular, but now bamboo is more difficult to find, and plastic is everywhere! Luckily, bamboo skewers are really easy to find at the grocery stores, but those don't have the hollow centers like bamboo sticks do.
  4. It's always so much more fun when it starts to look like something more than just a a bunch of wood with holes in it! :-D Are you electrifying the house? You also might want to think about painting/wallpapering, and whether or not you want to add the stairs, or leave them out and have more room for furniture. Since the house is now beginning to take shape, a lot of those things, as well as where the dividers are going to be should be decided on now. Some people put the larger rooms where the stairs are, and others use the smaller rooms as stairway rooms. I left my stairs out completely because I wanted the extra room. You can also do a large room downstairs with a hall where the stairs are, and have it come up to a large room upstairs, with a small bathroom on the side away from the stairs. There are lots of possibilities for room layouts!
  5. It's really funny that you should post that bright copper roof, because it looks a lot like the roof I put on the bay window of my granddaughter's Orchid. I was in a hurry to get it finished for her, so I didn't take as much time with it as I could have. If I'd had more time, I would have spackled and sanded it so it would have been smoother. I also wasn't really sure how the sides of the roof would have looked on a real house, so I just added narrow strips of basswood, then used Pearlex mica pigments and water based varnish to paint it. There are lots of metallic paints available that probably would have worked as well as the pearlex. It's just what I had on hand. There are tons of tutorials for patina on the internet that would show you how to make it look aged.
  6. kathi17

waterfalloct27.jpg

Thanks, now that I've finished the house, (except for anything I might decide I want to add later), I feel like I can just relax and take my time with the landscaping.
  7. kathi17

waterbasinoct25.jpg

Actually it really was easy. Just drawing little curved things on wax paper with a tube of sealant! Making the water basins was a little more complicated, because I wanted to use little pieces of bamboo, like it would be in real life. Unfortunately, I couldn't find little pieces of bamboo anywhere. I couldn't even find those bamboo placemats that used to be everywhere. Now all the bamboo placemats around here are made of plastic. :-( Anyway, for the top spout, I used a bamboo skewer and put a black dot on the end to look like a hole. I needed a larger piece for the hole at the bottom, and ended up using a brass tube.
  8. kathi17

waterbasinoct25.jpg

Thanks, I made a bunch of water streams on wax paper and let them dry, then I chose the best ones, and cut them to fit. It was pretty easy!
  9. kathi17

waterfalloct27.jpg

Thanks Debora, I sort of wish I had made a sandy bottom now though, it doesn't really look like a deep pool, even though I tried to follow the Woodland Scenics tutorial. I think the sandy bottom would have looked more real.
  10. I added the finials to both of my Orchids after the shingles too.
  11. That's a really nice shot of the house all lit up!
  12. The light in the hallway is gorgeous, and I really like looking through those window on the sides. The leaded glass makes it look so real!
  13. From the album: Japanese Inn and Spa Ryokan

I made a waterfall using Liquid Nails Clear Sealant. It still isn't dry, but I like it so far! The clear sealant dries quite clear, but I think it flattens out more than some of the other products.
  14. From the album: Japanese Inn and Spa Ryokan

The water is running in the little hand washing basin outside the ryokan! Since I couldn't get Woodland Scenics Water Effects, I tried some Liquid Nails Clear Sealant, and it worked!
  15. I saw the photo in your album, and you are off to a great start. Just enjoy the build, and take your time. It will be beautiful!
  16. kathi17

IMG-1567.JPG

It's coming along nicely. The Alison Jr is very similar to my RGT Apple Blossom. It's a great house!
  17. kathi17

Upstairs landing

It's beautiful, what an interesting hallway!
  18. I really like both the stonework and the forge. You did a really nice job with them!
  19. I was going to say the same thing as Samusa about the texture on the stone floor. I like the stone, but agree that it is too flat. She also had a good idea about trying to add trim to the stapled windows. That would cover up the staples if you can't get them out, and they really do need trim on the inside to cover up the rough opening there. It looks like a great house!
  20. That is really funny Anna, I've done that to my husband before!!!
  21. I prefer starting from scratch, but if I saw an unusual house that was really different from anything available as a kit, I would grab it if it was the right price. I wouldn't buy a readily available house to rehab unless it was a really good price on a house I couldn't afford the kit for. I really like the building and decorating part, but I don't like repairing houses that are already built!
  22. She is beautiful, and so is the music room!
  23. Let us know what you got Gina. I think you will love the store!