Selkie

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by Selkie

1. Adorable. Inspiring me to test the crafting waters again with a smaller idea like this. Thanks.
  2. I have an acct. I use it only for organizing references. All my folders are locked so I don't get all the interactive side of things. For example I have folders for Doors, Windows, Tudor, Castles, Landscape, Floor and Houseplans, etc. These are primarily RL ones not minis. When I'm trying to create something mini or a craft I only need to look at my own folder and not spend extra time searching. It can be a deep rabbit hole if not used wisely. I peruse it to add items only when I have problems sleeping.
  3. I found it about half way down on the light colored right hand column with other events listed. Nov 18, 10 AM - 4 PM
  4. Thanks for taking time to update us all. Safe travels.
  5. Absolutely! I've always dreamed of living in a old creaky place with towers and dungeons, with secret passages, opening bookcases and hidden staircases. In this same build I mentioned above, he had it have the ability to "generate" fresh air, electricity, grow food, etc, complete survival underground, undetected. He made a section of the ground above open and slant down to drive tanks, vehicles, small planes, etc. in and out. The opening completely disappeared when closed. He was a pretty inventive kiddo. Fun build.
  6. One of my kiddos built a military compound. The main floor was the "regular" house and the secret areas were in a huge underground shelter. He installed an access trap door and drop down chain ladder inside the kitchen broom closet. He also had a pull up ladder to a secret upstairs room.
  7. Northeastern Scale Lumber is still in business. Only their partner model business closed. Virtual Dollhouse the Store purchased the remaining stock and sells an assortment of smaller scales.
  8. Thanks for the update. Dealing with bureaucracy is always a nightmare. Please send her my regards.
  9. These are wonderful. You seem to light up whatever you lay your hands to. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to show them to Twinkle. She's taken it up as well. She won an award for a 3D kitten that she did.
  10. So cool. Love the story potential of intrigue, deception and secrecy that comes with a "book" like this.
  11. I've been wondering about Monica as well. Hope she has found housing and getting the help she needs.
  12. It all looks great and sounds like you are ready for crafting! I have a older version of the Cameo. Just wanted to mention there is a fairly sterp learning curve with the electronic cutting machines. I strongly advise watching lots of tutorials and reading up on some of the blogs that are featured with the design artists. There are quite a few Q+A articles as well. When you start using it, create lots of simple things first and just fool around with different paper weights, textures, cloth, felt, etc. til you get a feel for it. That's rather than beginning with a complicated design, one of a kind $$ paper and a time crunch like I did. I was ready to throw the entire thing under a passing trailer truck. I'm famous for making things 10 times harder than they need to be. You'll love it and continue to find new uses as you experiment more and more. Good luck and congrats!!
  13. When I was having my knees replaced I had my plumber help me with adding grab bars. We looked @ many options like ones on a pole that attach to the floor + ceiling and are adjustable, also ones that need a stud to atach to and then the suction kind. I was very leary of the suction kind but that is what I ended up with and have been very pleased with them. Granted the plumber got them thru his supply house and did the set up so it was not me going to the dollar store or Walmart and doing it myself. I'm sure the quality was much higher. They have never come loose and that's with many kiddos playing around with them as well as me using them.
  14. Been thinking about your situation. Offering a few thoughts on your dilemma for more room or better general layout or kitchen enlargement in your Beacon Hill ideas. It is possible to separate out the front kit pieces and cut new ones to your desired size to create a new front width, leaving the depth and height of the kit the same. It could be just one side or one level that you enlarge or both sides or even just the middle section. Several folks have bashed the Rosedale by adding an extra wing. The Beacon Hill has a similar ability to be in sections. The most difficult part would be enlarging the roof sections if your addition goes all the way up. It’s not impossible but more challenging. It would also take some thinking and planning for window placements and other design elements. Leaving out the stairs or changing the location or style of the stairs can also be a space saver. Adding an L type addition towards the back is another way to gain more space. Check out the Pierce and Garfield for ideas of doing an L addition. One other thing to remember if you are decorating in the Victorian styles, is that in Victorian times, furniture and people were somewhat smaller than we are today and they loved to cram lots of things into their spaces making it seem overcrowded by our standards. So I’ve put in some album links to BH’s that I’ve always admired. Maybe they will spark a thought for you. Pin1056 (Linda) built two Beacon Hills together into quite a fantastic creation called Beacon Hill Extravaganza She had also added a basement to the entire build which housed some of the services of the home. Later on she took them apart and did a complete renovation. She designed it to be much more open and called it Beacon Hill Reno I love cats built this Beacon Hill. She added a huge porch onto it. In doing so, you could see that a kitchen extension could easily have been part of that area. Anya built this one called Beacon Hill with Extension. It allowed room for a very nice sized kitchen without going all the way up and dealing with a roof reno. Wyckedwood (Karin) built the Sea Hag which is a Beacon Hill. She is tremendously gifted at creating a specific mood or ambiance, not to mention being a wonderful artist in many mediums. She didn’t enlarge hers but made use of space in unique ways that might give you something to think on.
  15. If you have a nearby vocational / technical school, they might be willing to have a student do a project creating the square for you and pick up construction magnets at a hardware store.
  16. McCormick makes a Montreal steak seasoning found in the spice aisle. Here's a link for more info.
  17. Just a practical thought, you might want to check if they have any food allergies or strong food preferences, esp. things like dairy, eggs, or gluten or whether they are vegan or vegetarian. Fresh fruit and a refreshing drink (hot or cold) might be a good snack, a little lighter and easy to get to sleep with.
  18. Here's a link to MLI Designs album with above mentioned couch in it. She has a wonderful gallery full of lovely albums.
  19. I have several of her sets but have never used them so I can't testify about the ease or the outcome. Similar concerns about messing them up. I especially liked the ones that are similar to the RL black lacquer Russian fairy tale boxes.
  20. Just curious why I have someone else's activity viewing choices in my own activity stream folder? How did someone else have access to my choice list? It's a little unnerving. Is there a way to remove items that you didn't select?
  21. Please send my thoughts and prayers along to Monica. I'm not on FB or I'd do it myself. Thanks. I, too, have an over-abundance of mini supplies, kits, and such. I'd love to help her restart when she's ready. Please keep me on the list. Her collection was breathtakingly beautiful and always intriguing.
  22. WyckedWood (Karin) did one of these kits a while back. I think hers is a different scale than yours but it might give you some ideas. She called it Holly Cottage. She's a fabulous miniature artist. Here is a link to her album.
  23. Selkie

Completed.

Wonderful finish to your project! Love it!
  24. Not to be Debbie Downer but this happened to me on ALL the pieces I purchased from the local dollar store. After repeated sanding, priming, kilz-ing to no avail, I ended up having to use an extra strong solvent stripper to completely remove every bit. Even then, teeny amounts of pink seeped out of the joined crevices on the ones I did with light colors. It's nasty stuff.