Selkie

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by Selkie

1. Twinkle, Wisteria, Fireboy and I all send love and prayers. We are so sorry to learn of Llyod's passing. He's been such a wonderful Greenleaf Grampa to them. Hugs from us all for you Kathie (aka Greenleaf Grammy).
  2. Selkie

Just trying it out

I love the new look. I used some wavy sticks for a floor once. Fun to experiment, right?
  3. I'll bet you've done a fabulous job. You are a wonderful husband to pick up the jobs on her behalf. So glad to hear your wife is on the mend. Bet she'll be glad to be back on the job as son as she can. We females are weird like that. We love to do things "our" way.
  4. I've used kits from Petite Properties and liked them. They are UK based, but, in my experience, the shipping was quite reasonable and quick. Haven't ordered recently but that's been my past experience. Link to 1/24 furniture. Keep clicking "more" at the end of each section. There are many to chose from as well as many other smaller scale accessories, houses, and such.
  5. In the the description it states that it is 1/16 scale. "The Ashburton measures - 620mm high x 530mm wide x 380mm deep, 1/16th Scale"
  6. Sorry for your loss. Hugs and prayers. Wish you strength to do all you need to do.
  7. Here's a google link I had typed in "trompe l'oeil kitchen cabinets". There are many pages of ideas for lots of styles.
  8. Any type of hands on activity can assist in settling a stressed out brain and nervous system. Could be exercises, music, crafts, dancing, hiking, minis, fine arts, and more. Tactile/sensory experiences do wonders. 'Fraid I've been on this same carousel going up and down these past 2 yrs too. One day or one step at a time ....this too shall pass ...
  9. I remember seeing this at the World's Fair in NY as well as the Small, Small World display. It was mind boggling at that time to experience it all. We hadn't seen alot of that sort of thing in real life yet.
  10. Looks like he might be taking another break. I can't find his albums and can't seem to send a PM. Did I miss an announcement? Mike, if you're reading this, we miss seeing you and your fabulous works.
  11. One super important thing to remember when building the Garfield is to measure your interior and exit doors before deciding where to construct the house. With the porch and roof trims and L shape, it often will not pass through them. Folks have left them behind when moving or just hacked them up. Others have redesigned them to be built in 2 sections to begin with. As to the mdf, consider your final weight for moving before selecting mdf. It's a terribly heavy product. Using the higher quality "select plywood" would be lighter if you are sure you are going with something thicker. There used to be a Houseworks working window kit specifically made for the Garfield. I have one so I they exist. You might search ebay for one. It was designed for the thinner wood. They made one for the Pierce as well, back in the day. Good luck. It's my favorite of the GL line.
  12. This year, despite the fact that I'm old and should already know these things, I've learned that life is really, really, really hard and people don't keep their promises.
  13. Selkie

The Monarch - detail

Um, shoes, maybe shiny black patent Mary Janes?
  14. We decorate up our front porch big time - just for that night though. Otherwise it's just posies and pumpkins. Twinkle puts out her miniature Halloween house all done up with lights. All the little girls love to look at it. Each year she adds something new to freshen it up. We have carved lighted pumpkins of course. The thing the kiddos love most is our moving and talking ghost and activated with a hand clap. It rises and lowers and changes color while it talks to them. It's a plastic skull covered and draped in cheesecloth. Then we have a huge sudden drop spider with red glowing eyes and giaaaant cobwebs. This year we are adding a weird old glowing skellie to the clan. We have sounds effects via an old CD of scary shrieks and weird noises. There's lots of cemetery stones, bloody axes and Beware signs and so on. I change out the porch lights to eerie colored ones too. Lots of nonsense and fun. Area kiddos love to come and "get scared"!! It's hilarious to watch. My DH sits out there in a big old work jacket and hat, with the giant candy dish, sometimes with an old man mask on and sometimes just his regular old man self. Often they think he's a statue until he clears his throat or coughs. Sends them scurrying but then they come running right back to check it out. I specifically don't dress up so there is one thing that looks friendly and normal to the littler kiddos and keep some candy aside to go out in the yard with for those who aren't ready to check it out up close. We have a good time and then close up shop for another year. Kids start asking in the Fall if the scary porch is coming back again. We smile and say we hope so. Gotta leave a hook you know. All good stories have them.
  15. Selkie

Hurricane Matthew

Adding my thoughts and prayers too. Stay safe.
  16. And, please, kind sir, how doth we come across this treasure upon which to smile? Might there be an address or a name we can seek out?
  17. Uncut corduroy. Textured wool in a looser weave. Thinner carpet samples. Punch needle piece done with separated fine floss or yarns.
  18. I'm glad you're back and feeling like yourself again. I wish I could join your team. Congrats on getting your shop orders in line. As to a quiet week, perhaps on the forum but not in RL at least at my house. This adds up to why I'm not adding to the forum. Busy putting out wild fires at home tends to rob one of free time to do as one pleases. Sometimes we aren't posting just because our lives are too full of crashing waves and spilling out every which way. Hard to scoop up the ocean with a teaspoon, I've discovered.
  19. I have purchased from Northeastern Scale Lumber on many occasions. They used to go to train shows all over the US and sell their wares there. I haven't been to a train show in a long time so I'm not sure if they still do that. They were always friendly and helpful. I order online since I live way out in the boondocks. You might see in the news that they went out of business. There were two companies together and they closed the one in CA but kept the one in MA running. The MA one is the small lumber part. The closed one did other types of work. The other place I have purchased small wood and trims from is Manchester Dollhouse and Woodworks. They have their own site as well as a store on on Ebay.
  20. As one who has spent close to 2 yrs now dealing with health and family issues, sadly I fall into the category of one of "those" members not are not commenting much on pictures, have nothing new to upload, don't have anything exciting or interesting to share, and spending whatever "awake in the middle of the night time" reading the forum comments and viewing the gallery offline, which shows no record of points or clicks or whatever it is that is important to be calculated as a designating one as a worthy member. I pray for the day when I can come back and be a useful, functional, and active member again. I'm sorry if I have contributed to the decline of the forum but "life happens" to people. It often isn't a true reflection of their preferences or desires, only their current life crisis/status and "have-tos" Mike, you will be missed greatly. Your work is stellar and I would add to the request of leaving albums for those who would enjoy the opportunity to continue to learn from you. Not all of us (me included) have Facebook accounts.
  21. If you have any allergies or sensitivities just be aware that when you cut with the hot wire it releases a great deal of fumes. When I was in art school, I found I couldn't tolerate it - massive headaches and nausea. If you cut with an old household electric knife, you'll get a more raggedy cut but less fumes. It is sandable so the edges can be touched up.
  22. Here is a link to the GL company store for the country dollhouse. It says Sold out. Some of the older Storybook Cottage kits also had a more generic name before the Storybook version.