Selkie

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Blog Comments posted by Selkie

1. How nice that you are keeping to the history of the farm. Planting trees is always a great thing, imo. Repurposing the branches is a wonderful idea.

Keeping the country in the country is a great thing to be part of. That is not to say that I don't enjoy a trip to the city for some of their amenities now and then. But I'm a country gal to the core!

I love old farmhouses and barns. So many are neglected and falling into disrepair as the urban landscape creeps ever onward. There is a lovely little children's book called "The Little House" by Virginia Lee Burton. (author of Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel and Katy and the Big Snow and others). The poor little country house is overtaken by the city and forgotten. Then her ancestors come back and rescue her. Worth the read, imo.

• Like 1
  2. I'll bet the show will be tons of fun as well as inspiration. I just got done looking at your album. Wow!! Love all the light and how the function of the entire piece is raised now. It's a magical attic now with lots of stories to be created in it. Your hard work is paying off!!

In one of your pictures, I wrote that it reminded me of peeking in the window of the one in the movie version of "the velveteen rabbit". The movie is nothing like the real book which is normally infuriating to me. This time, it seems to bring a different perspective to the story that works.

As to the pictures, the tech folks tell us they will have it fixed at some point. Patience is the key, I guess. Not one of my better virtues. Some folks are figuring work-arounds but I'm not quite as tech savvy as some are.

3. At least there is hope now with the notice Logan put up about known issues. I guess this is our "test" of patience. I hate tests, btw!!

Blogs seems to always have "stuff" happen. I know Casey talks about issues with hers (and Tessie's) and a friend of mine just closed hers and left it all behind and started a brand new one because she was so fed up with issues with hers. I couldn't figure out why she used the same provider for the second one though. Still scratching my head on that one. I'd have jumped ship if I'd been her. Seems to plague all the companies that host them though so it probably doesn't matter which you choose. 

Inherently fussy I guess. (tee hee)

4. I'll bet the picture issue will be resolved soon. It's on the list of fixes, I'm thinking but just hasn't gotten up to the top of the list yet. I can't imagine that GL would want to loose all their team instruction blogs. I suck at being patient and this update isn't helping my patience level to rise much, I must say. I keep telling myself - Selkie - breathe now - get your big nose out of the way and give the workers a chance to do their stuff. Thus far, I'm just sputtering and fussing like the old lady that I am.

5. Maybe you can get around that by putting them in an album labeled for this particular Blog. Then when you are in your blog, link them from the album like we did with the My Media button in regular posts. Not exactly sure what thats called the in the new format. 

Btw, I can't see pictures in anyone's posts or blogs - not just yours. Seems to be anything posted before the update began.

6. After taking my kiddos to the Minions movie, I don't understand how you can communicate with them at all!! I was one thoroughly confused Gram. What a crazy movie. I couldn't, and still can't, make heads or tails out of it all. I need a translator I guess or maybe just be a kid. sigh ...

Now, the Inside Out movie - I got that one!! It was one of those that has two levels of entertainment - the kid giggle version and an adult more thoughtful side.

I was very proud of myself for scoring a 50 % for the two movies.

Love the copper and all your trim. Can't wait to see what comes next. Hide the Captains eyes or give him some Google glasses to keep him busy, if you are blinging again.

• Like 1
  7. Really great details on your stairway and closet and door. Love how the siding is coming out and your dormer looks fab. (I'm a dormer gal.) Your colors are all coming together nicely too.

Curious how you paint the matboard. Do you seal it with anything first? It seems like such a porous type of product that it would suck up paint and buckle. But I've not ever tried it.

Glad you found a positive in your next build with the plywood. I've not warmed up to the MDF either. I'm sure it has it's place - just not with me. My Alexandria weighs a TON!! I can't move it alone. :(

8. Step away for a bit and breathe! You CAN do it!!

Don't expect perfection on the first time through. Think about it that you are making practice one or prototypes or samples and suddenly the ones you make will turn into the ones you want.

One thing I've learned is to never plan for the first attempt at any part of miniature building to be the way I really want it. Remember that old saying "practice makes perfect".

• Like 1
  9. Love your stairs!!! I've always loved the look of stairs that turn.

Are you using wood siding or matboard siding?

I have found that if we use the white glues, they need alot of taping and clamping.

Twinkle used the thin GL siding to make a board and batten look on her barn. It came out great but it was a tedious job of constant taping and clamping.

10. I don't have the necessary clearance to view your links for some reason.

As to the dormers, they are not hard to add. They feel intimidating at the start but they really work out well. Twinkle added two dormers to her little Primrose, in addition to raising the sidewalls a bit, and ended up with enough room for a bathroom and a bedroom with bunkbeds.I can't find a finished picture right now but here are two from her construction stage.

This is a Primrose that I added a single center dormer onto. It does not have the raised wall height and with only a single dormer it doesn't give quite as much room as I had hoped for.

These two show how I was adding a giant dormer similar to an Orchid, with the roof becoming an added porch

Maybe they will give you some inspiration.

• Like 1