• Dollhouse Building Experience Five or more
  • Dollhouse Preference I like them both
  • Online Community Building Projects No
  • Digital Camera Yes
  • Country United States

Recent Profile Visitors

4096 profile views
  1. Tile roof using corrugated cardboard

Thanks, Bobie. By adding the raw and burnt siennas to the orange clay paint using wet on wet technique, the final color has a bit of variation. I considered using more shades, but decided the subtler look was best in this case.
  2. Tile roof using corrugated cardboard

Thank you kindly, ladies.
  3. Tile roof using corrugated cardboard

My picture just will not load anywhere on here - unless it's just floating somewhere in the ether waiting to land in the gallery. I put it on a blog page I used to use to test html codes,  so it's viewable if anyone want to look at it. Just click to enlarge it. I hate tiny pics, don't you? https://grazhe.blogspot.com/2020/01/112-corrugated-cardboard-tile-roof.html
  4. Tile roof using corrugated cardboard

Well, I decided to try making a sample section. I used a piece of posterboard as a base. I've got some lightweight sheets and some heavier ones, I opted to use a piece of the heavier weight posterboard. I was worried that the posterboard might warp, but it didn't. I didn't have any plain old white glue, so I used Weldbond for the test. My strips tended to come out a bit crooked because the strips stuck down really quickly and then I couldn't adjust them, something to remember. At first I left a little spacing between the corrugated strips, then later I pressed the next strip down more to glue closer together. I think the slight gap looks better. After all the strips were glued down I spread diluted glue over the whole thing, then once the glue dried I painted the roof panel. I happened to have to bottles of craft paint that had clay in the name. One turned out too red, the other too orange, so I wound up brushing on a layer of the orange clay, then dabbed and stroked a bit of raw sienna, followed by some burnt sienna till it came out the way I liked. I'll write out the whole procedure with pictures when I do the whole roof. I need to buy a bottle of white glue first. Drat drat drat, I can't attach the picture. I'll try and load it onto the gallery.
  5. What are you up to today? This week?

We spent last week in Key West for the first time. The weather was warmer than usual there that week, which was nice. We stopped for lunch on the drive from the Ft. Lauderdale airport down through the keys, and DH thinks he got a case of food poisoning. Let's just say there's no need to go into the nasty details. My lunch was quite tasty, though.  While in Key West I wanted to try a sloppy joe at Sloppy Joes, even though I don't particularily care for sloppy joes. I really enjoyed their sloppy joe sandwich so now I need to come up with a recipe that tastes like theirs. Since we were having a "heat wave" in New England when we left, which was to continue through the week, I left my really warm winter coat at home and took a lighter weight coat with a liner. It was 19 degrees when we returned to Boston Logan airport on Friday night. On Sunday night I came down with a bad cold from a bug I caught on the flight or our last day on vacation, feeling a bit better now. I haven't had a cold in a long time, so I guess that's why this one really hit me hard.
  6. I'm going to use corrugated cardboard to make a tile roof for my 1:24 scale house. I watched a wargaming video about it, so I've got a good idea of how it's done, but I do have a question for anyone who's used this method on a dollhouse scale house. Is it better to just start by gluing the first strip (still attached to the paper on the one side) directly to the roof, then continue the gluing process with the next strip, or is it better to glue everything to a thin sheet of posterboard, then glue the whole completed sheet to the roof?
  7. What's for dinner?

I made pizzas for the 2nd time in my new Betty Crocker Pizza Baker. DH likes the thinnest crust, and since mine were rarely quite thin enough for him, I started making his pizza using a flour tortilla, while making a traditional crust for my son & me using the recipe on the Fleishman's pizza yeast. Using the pizza yeast, the dough stretches out nicely, and doesn't sproing back once you've got it rolled out just the way you want it. With the Betty Crocker Pizza Baker I can have a pizza ready to eat in 10 minutes, and a tortilla one in 5. I use my homemade spaghetti sauce as the base for my pizza sauce. I throw some pepperoni slices & minced garlic in a pot, saute it up a bit, then add my sauce with some extra Italian seasoning & some Accent. I then let the sauce simmer til it gets nice and thick, sort of like a thin tomato paste. I spoon the sauce into little 4 ounce Ziplock storage cups, snap on the lids, and stack them in the freezer. I'll thaw out a couple when I'm ready to make pizza. My electric oven takes 90 minutes to heat up my pizza stone, while a tortilla pizza can be started in a cast iron skillet on the stove, then finished off under the broiler. I just couldn't use the broiler and get my baking stone hot enough at the same time. I was getting really frustrated.  I'm so happy I stumbled onto the pizza baker on Amazon.  
  8. Aging Brick

I aged the bricks on a resin fireplace finished in plain, very brown brick. I dabbed on 2 shades of brownish craft paint with a stipple brush. One was raw sienna, I think the other was iron oxide. Then I used a blend of off white and a creamy light brown color and applied that lightly with a smaller stipple brush, rubbing it in with my finger till I got the look I wanted. I can't seem to upload a picture, so here's a link to it.  You probably don't need to prime the latex sheet. I'm pretty sure I recall seeing posts at times by people who've retouched acrylic sheet bricks and floors, etc. so they'd look more realistic.
  9. Tutorial on resizing pictures for printing

Don't know about Chromebook, but in my experience, many of the basic photo editing programs don't seem to be capable of resizing.  I ought to refine that - by resizing, I don't mean cropping, I mean changing the size of the picture while keeping the picture intact. Instead of a big photo, you're just making it smaller.
  10. What are you up to today? This week?

My husband bought himself a new desktop computer the other day and he always has me set things up on them because he's too lazy to bother with it himself. With his first computer he was totally into DOS and all that, and I was the one who didn't know anything about computers, now it's the other way around and he has to ask me how to do everything on it. Anyway, once we got everything going, I was surprised to see that the desktop background I had devised myself and put on the old pc, was now on the new pc - all by itself. Microsoft knew my background wallpaper and put it on the new computer. Although this was handy, it still bothers me.
  11. Tutorial on resizing pictures for printing

If you're on a pc, you should have a built in Windows program called Paint. Newer computers have Paint 3D, which is a different program. If you don't see Paint on your Windows pc, use the search box to find it. Microsoft writes that it's still on there as an app. The icon looks like an artist's pallette. Once you've opened it, and selected the picture you want to resize, you'll notice resize in the program toolbar - up on top. Click on it and a small window will open allowing you to elect to resize the picture either by % or pixels. I always use pixels, myself. I hope this is the info you were looking for.
  12. Package Delivery -- in What Universe?

Two or three times I've received emails from Amazon reporting that the post office said the carrier couldn't gain access to my building to deliver the package. ?????? I live in a house in a quiet  suburban type little neighborhood, with an average length driveway, no dogs, 2 houses down from the comunal mailboxes. I know for a fact that one of those times the mail carrier just failed to stop at my house, because I had seen him zipping by in his little mail truck.  I did contact Amazon on one of those occassions and spoke to a representative about it. I figured they should know, as poor delivery service gives them a black eye, even if it wasn't their fault. Another point about shipping of products purchased on Amazon, some of that stuff isn't shipped by them, but by individual companies or persons. I've bought things on Ebay and when they arrived, they were in Amazon's packaging. Some sellers list on both sites.
  13. Dollhouses on TV and Movies

Just came back from seeing Knives Out with my son. We both enjoyed it, and several times I noticed a large dollhouse in the living room. There's a picture of it in the background in the House Beautiful website,
  14. Thanksgiving Dinner

The York Harbor Inn Cellar Pub
  15. Thanksgiving Dinner

We went out to eat in a restaurant built to look like the inside of an old wooden boat. I chose to go with the traditional turkey accompanied by delicious cranberry and pumpkin breads and 2 big glasses of a very tasty sangria. I tried to attach a picture, but I can't seem to be able to at this time. It's a really cute cellar pub.