• Dollhouse Building Experience Five or more
  • Dollhouse Preference I like them both
  • Online Community Building Projects No
  • Digital Camera Yes
  • Country United States

Recent Profile Visitors

3827 profile views
  1. Any help identifying this?

It's not a set. It's an assortment for the most part of individual pieces. I do believe it's at least partially European in origin, though. The yellow & blue cabinet on the far right near the sofa was being sold as part of an Aztec Imports dining room set a few years ago. I used to sell them and still have one of the sets. The other blue & yellow cabinet looks like an early version of the $1.00 hutches from Michaels because the carving on the top looks clearer than the ones sold now.The black metal stove is a smaller version of one that Town Square miniatures has been selling for years. The sofa & chair look like old cheaper versions of the Melissa & Doug living room set. I think I saw Handley House has one like that now too. The yellow low cabinet in the kitchen section reminds me of European dollhouse furniture. 
  2. My Mother's Childhood Home in 1/12th

Lucky you!  I sketched out a front face treatment  for you. I'd use layers of styrofoam, ideally the stuff you get when you get a breakable item from an online seller. Right now I have scads of the stuff in assorted thicknesses. If you have no styrofoam you can try crumpling newspaper, cover it with wire netting, then cover that with paper mache or plaster wrap. I've forgotten what it's called, I've used it & I have some up on the 3rd floor, but I just came downstairs. I'll look and see later if you're interested. Styrofoam would be much easier, though. You can make the front yard treatment short & steep or wider & shallower, whichever you wish. Something similar to go in the back, but the rear treatment can be quite short in depth, maybe just some greenery like flattened shrubs along the wall to give it a finished look. Almost forgot to mention, the hatched wall and floor in my drawing are not attached to anything, so the yard can be pulled away to show the basement.  
  3. Finished 18th c Pennsylvania stone house

Thank you all, very much!
  4. Finished 18th c Pennsylvania stone house

Thank you, everyone! Kathie, while thinking of how to do the next thing, and idly picking at little bits of dried glue and paint on a plastic plate which  I was using as a palette, when the Tulip paint easily came off. I grabbed a scrap of acetate I had and started drawing out some small squiggly shapes, let them dry and huzzah - they peeled right off.  
  5. My last 1:12 scale house is complete and my studio is all clean and tidy. Here are a few photos of the house, more are on my webpage, together with the tutorial I made earlier this year about doing the stonework.  
  6. What are you up to today? This week?

I finished work on my stone house this evening by gluing leaf clusters onto a viny looking tree. Trying to work on the house this past couple of weeks has been exasperating. I had a cataract removed from my left eye 4 weeks ago and now none of my glasses work right. I saw the optometrist yesterday and ordered a new pair of progresives and a pair of sunglasses, but I have to wait about a week to get them. Right now the only glasses I can see through well enough to drive are a pair I bought around 1985. Thank goodness I held on to them all these years just in case I might be desperate for a spare pair. For the last few years I've been keeping an old pair of reading glasses in my workroom for miniatures or sewing, but I've discovered that they just don't cut the mustard anymore. Being severely nearsighted taking my glasses off altogether doesn't do the trick very well either, the way it used to. Obviously I need a couple pair of new reading glasses too. I hope the cataract in my right eye takes its own sweet time before it gets any worse. The doctor said there's no way of telling if it'll last 6 months or 6 years.
  7. stone verandah

From the album 1690 Pennsylvania stone house

The stones are made of egg cartons, the moss between the stones is paint.
  8. Help!

My guess is 1940's, but possibly 1930's on account of the windows.
  9. Spray paint over a shiny finish

There's a spray paint especially meant to use on plastic. I know I've used it, but I can't remember the brand. I'd have found it at someplace like Home Depot or Walmart.
  10. 5/27/07 Rudest Comment about Your Minis

A few weeks ago he told me that I should smack him with a flyswatter when he says something annoying. A few days later I saw a display of oversized flyswatters so I bought one, hung it in my pantry, and have  wacked him with it several times since then. Yesterday when he made a stupid remark I chased him through the kitchen with an icepack . I caught him, pulled up his shirt and pressed the pack firmly against his back. He can't run as fast as he used to.
  11. 5/27/07 Rudest Comment about Your Minis

Some years ago I used to keep the 3 dollhouses I had built as of then on stands in corners of my living room. My husband didn't like them being there. To him dollhouses didn't belong in the living room. He said - why don't I put them in the basement where they belonged. 
  12. Steampunk Hats

You make a charming looking couple, and I like your scarf too!.
  13. A New Project - Suggestions Welcome!

I had to go out to the farm store, their corn is finally available. I took another look at your house, Jackie. It has 2 front doors off the porch, so historically, the one to the side, mostly hidden by the bush, could very likely have been used as an office. the other door led to the front hallway and staircase. On the left hand side, behind the front room would have been another room, and another room would have occupied the right hand wing, both wings being one room deep. I can see a one story extension behind the house, so the kitchen is likely there. There were oriiginally probably 4 or 5 bedrooms upstairs, one of which was later most likely turned into a bathroom.  
  14. A New Project - Suggestions Welcome!

Jackie, That's a appealing house. I recall seeing an old unpainted weathered version of it in western Pennsylvania. I loved it. From looking at old house plans for over 40 years because I like old houses, I can tell you that house is probably @ 36 or so feet wide, so if you want it to be a fairly accurate representation of the house, with landscaping, you'd really need it to be half inch scale. Some may think this a crazy thought, but what if you made the house itself in a small scale and 1:12 scale roomboxes for the room displays? My one room colonial house is 20" wide for just the house, with no landscaping. I wanted to make a small house, but it still takes up a lot of space. The Greenleaf Buttercup is 15" wide without landscaping and it's also just one room  I've decided that when I think of a house I really want to build because it appeals to me so much, I'll do it from now in 1:24 scale, and when I really want to make a room, I'll stick to roomboxes.  If you want to stick to the convention of furnishing the rooms of the house, you could make the house open on 2 sides. I did that with Tall Chimneys. BTW, the house is 29" long not counting the landscaping and 21" deep.
  15. What's everyone working on?

I just wrote out a post and as I hit submit my husband turned on the microwave down in the kitchen and I lost everything - and I'm up on the 3rd floor!  Everytime someone uses the microwave our wifi quits. It doesn't affect DH, his computer is attached to the router by cable, so he doesn't care. I'm almost finished the main room in the early 19th century house. I've started working on the piles of ashes in the fireplace. I was going to try using dryer lint this time, but once I started fooling with it I wasn't happy with it, so I'm going back to paperclay as the ash base. It worked ok for me before. There's some stuff on the brick hearth floor right now that looks like a light coating of ash. It's talcum powder. I had sprinkled a bit on a painted paperclay ash pile to see how it looked, and when I pulled the pile back out it left some powder behind. I need to go back down to the kitchen and get my fine tea strainer and play with the powder some more.