Profile Information

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    Five or more
  • Country
    United States

Recent Profile Visitors

5,023 profile views
  1. I don't know how much weight it'll hold. Someone had asked me about using it for pictures and mirrors. My pictures have always been done on 1/16" basswood with lightweight frames made of dollhouse trim, so I think it'll hold something like that ok. Since I rarely use wallpaper, I can't say if it'll leave residue on it.
  2. 6 months ago I tried an experiment of using Aleene's Tack It Over And Over to keep the fiddly bits stuck in place on this hutch. Well, today I opened the room box, picked up the hutch, and removed, then replaced one of the glass bottles. Everything still good!! A successful experiment! Tack it over & over was originally meant for tacking appliques and trims in place before sewing them down. People have been using the stuff for other things too. I originally bought it to make post it notes from the scraps of paper I'm always scrawling on in my workroom.
  3. I've been plodding along for the last couple months working on fixing up this 30 year old house. I made so many mistakes building it, now I have to fix them all. The other day I finished the living room bay windows. I've made a few blog posts as I went along. This afternoon I was working on my replacement for the French doors in the bedroom. I turned a small bedroom window into a door for the balcony over the front porch, so why would I went French doors that open onto a little platform? You'll see when I'm ready to write another blog post.
  4. Yeah, that could be a factor. She's been there about a week and a half, said she went to a big festival last weekend, it seemed like everyone in the city was there. Although I've decided not to think about it, she's been in some of my dreams. Shortly before she left the US I asked her if she was still comfortable going, the situation in Ukraine was building then. She replied that Lithuania was a safer place to be than the US. She's bought into the idea that America is a dangerous, racist country. Her flight left the day the Russians invaded Ukraine. My youngest son, age 28, tries to console me by saying she's going through a mid-life crisis.
  5. A repairman came and replaced the compressor in my LG fridge this morning. LG must have sent to Korea for him, he spoke only a few words of English. I am now keeping fingers crossed that it will be ok from here on. My oven was repaired a few days ago. Why do I feel like there's a boulder balanced over my head ready to come tumbling down on me?
  6. The most annoying thing to me now is the uncertainty and the lies, just flat out lies. At least the company I bought my range from comes when they'll say they will, and apologizes for the long wait for an appointment, but with AIG we were told that absolutely, the repair man was coming. I was going over my emails this morning, and my first one from AIG came on January 31st. My husband was on the phone with a bunch of people there the other week and there are so many phone numbers and other assorted numbers on 3 sheets of paper and he wants me to deal with them the next round.....I don't know what any of his scrawls mean (and I don't think he remembers either).
  7. It's been 23 days since my refrigerator quit working. LG or the warranty company, whomever it was that DH spoke to last time, promised that a repairman would be over to check the fridge and get authorization for a new compressor. They said they checked with the local authorized repair company and said someone would be here for sure on the afternoon of Feb 23rd. No repairman came. I figure that even if they sent one over quick like a bunny, it would probably be at least another month till my fridge was working again. I liked that fridge. It was nice and quiet. The LG before that one was also nice and quiet. The Maytag I had for a month before that made a loud whining noise for 40 minutes of every hour. It used to give me a horrendous headache. The store said that noise was normal for a Maytag, but they broke down and swapped me the LG. I'm still waiting for the repairman for my stove. He'll come next week. I'll ask him to check my baking element too, in addition to fixing the convection element. Last night I made a meatloaf and baked some potatoes. Usually the meatloaf takes an hour to cook. Yesterday, 30 minutes into the cooking time I smelled something burning. One of the potatoes had exploded (No, I remembered to pierce all of them so they wouldn't blow up- I've been baking potatoes for 50 years), and the meatloaf was overdone and scorched on the bottom. It seems my baking element went into overdrive. That's the third one I've had in that range. Otherwise, it's a wonderful stove and I love it..... except that the baking elements keep going crappola. I keep thinking about what I'd like to do to the people in charge at AIG warranty. Flaying would be appropriate. The decision makers at LG deserve punishment too, for deciding to save a little money by installing compressors with a cheap plastic part instead of the original metal part. Lots and lots of people hate them now. Our breakdown was too late to join the class action suit.
  8. I did a shade of gray on shingles once, but I used my usual method of gluing on the shingles, then brushing watered down acrylic paints on them. I made some gray and blue-gray washes and brushed the colors on randomly, letting them flow into each other. A stain won't give color vaiation unless the raw shingles have natural color variations in the raw.
  9. My daughter decided to move to Lithuania, and now the Ukranian crisis is going on. My LG refrigerator's compressor died a couple of weeks ago, and a repair guy is supposed to come and look at it in a couple of weeks to certify that yes, my compressor has joined the thousands of other LG compressors that have given up the ghost. We already paid another repairman out of our own pocket to tell us that, yes, the compressor is no good. We're under an extended warranty from LG, but that's another harrowing story. I've been keeping many of my need to be refrigerated items in the chilly garage, but by March it'll start warming in there a little. Let's see, the fridge died on a Sunday, then the convection heating element in my stove died on Friday. A guy will be coming to fix it early in March. At least the baking element is still working. It snapped and broke a couple of times before. The guy said he'd never seen one do that in my brand of range. Usually it's very reliable. oh well....My fairly new toaster has been acting funny now and then too. At least the freezer in the basement is working fine. It's a good thing, because in January we really filled that thing up. Once we transferred food from the refrigerator's freezer compartment, everytime I'd open the freezer door something would fall out.
  10. Hey Sarah, the rest of the house still looks like this.....Yeah, I demolished the interior, never was happy with it. Actually, it's my daughter's dollhouse, and since she's moving to Lithuania, I don't think she'll be asking for it. I thought I'd just perk it up then sell it. Lotsa perking needs to be going on here.
  11. There's very little headroom in the 3rd floor of the Heritage. If you're over 5" tall you'll bang your head in there, so I turned it into a traditional attic. My design is based on my own real life attic that had wooden shingles nailed to wooden boards called strapping. I just finished a blog post about it.
  12. Originally I was just going to perk it up after it sat in my basement and attic for the past 20 years, since my daughter moved out, but once I dragged it out I realized it needed a lot of work. This is what it looks like now since I gutted it. Wrote a post on my blog with many pictures and descriptions of what I'll be doing to it.
  13. It's 8 degrees here. It's warmer over at the beach, 14. Early this morning it was 1.
  14. All of these glazed ceramics are actually woodenware. I used sandable hard gesso on them, painted, then coated them with fast drying glossy polyurethane varnish. I just wrote a blog post about it, so if you want to keep the instructions you can copy or bookmark it.
  15. Thank you, though I do have a heavy dose of European, being first generation American. Mostly, though, I guess it's been a heavier dose of growing up loving fairy tales.