• Dollhouse Building Experience
    One
  • Real Name
    Lene
  • Country
    South Africa

Recent Profile Visitors

16,049 profile views
  1. I am looking at that same $39 figure...... but I"m not sure if I want a 7 foot tall Beetlejuice hanging around.... he might scare the other dolls. Along with all the other's advice of Pinterest and cleaning stuff, I also sometimes do random searches on Amazon and see what pops up. I also browse interior design magazines when I'm in Kinokuniya Bookworld. They have magazines from all over the world. Sometimes I see a beautiful room or an object in a room that reminds me of something I have lying around somewhere. And sometimes..... just reading Greenleaf posts gets me inspired
  2. I love the Willowcrest too. But, living in a 3-floor townhouse already, I find that the footprint is still small because stairs take up so much space. Now, if I had a row of Willowcrests...... I would be a very happy woman! Every person could even have their own front door, but all the floors have interconnecting rooms on all the levels. One whole downstairs would be a huge kitchen/family room. Buy groceries, simply go to that door and take them into the house. Getting guests for dinner? Let them come to the dining room's door with the pretty decor. My students coming for art classes? Last door on the right....
  3. Since I've been selling my art at an artisan market in Dubai for the past year, I have had to add my time (as a salary) to my artworks as well, and not just charge for materials or what I think it would sell for in a store. I have also since realized that most dollhouse builders do not add their time to the value of their houses. If I add my time to my basic little Arthur Santa House, I would have to sell it for a lot more than would appear reasonable to other dollhouse builders - but it would make perfect sense to someone who did not have the time to spend on building/decorating such a house. Jen's house is gorgeous and it must have taken her many hours of hard work. Don't sell yourselves short, all of you put in the time on your various builds and are worthy of a reasonable remuneration for your efforts too.
  4. I'm aiming for historic-yet-modern touches Parisian interior, not the entire modern shabby chic as such. And I'm saving up to get some lighter shades of carpets, so that will contrast nicely with the darker floors. Thank you everybody, so burnt umber and hint of green, maybe even a slight touch of gray and "wax on.... wax off" hahahahaha I love the idea of different areas of darkening over the years as furniture was moved, areas had more footfall and little bumps and spills happened.
  5. I painted the 3 floors the pink I wanted. Then I scored floorboards with the back side of my utility knife, to see if I liked it. After an hour and with very sore hands, it came out quite nice. But the lines weren't very visible and the pink was a bit too bright and new-looking. Then I sanded the floor a bit to pick up the edges of the floorboards. There is some white showing through from the primer layer. To tone down the brightness of the pink and to age the floors, I'm thinking of using watered down brown acrylic paint and giving the floor a thin wash, rubbing it off in places and letting it seep into the cracks of the floorboards. Any advice for me before I take the plunge? Here is a picture of the floor just before I sanded it down a bit. http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=121440
  6. moonberry

Maison De La Rose

Old dollhouse shell (3 floors) with a Greenleaf Gloucester on top (3 more floors) will be a Parisian townhouse for an eccentric fashion designer, Mme Hanna De La Rose. Bottom 3 floors are salon, tea room, fabric store, quilting room. Top 3 floors are her residence and studio. She loves roses and pink.
  7. The courier brought the final attic windows...... check my gallery for the final layout. Now to resize the Gloucester window/door openings and to start painting the windows.
  8. Remember that old dollhouse shell without doors, roof and trim that I wanted to make into a department store? Well, I finally got hit by that wonderful streak of inspiration one night in a dream. Woke up the next morning, determined to find a way to bash another house on top of the department store. The only logical house would be either of the front-opening Greenleaf houses. But they are very scarce. Literally an hour later, I found a Gloucester on eBay and jumped at the chance. It will fit perfectly on top of the other shell with just a little bit of the bottom house being bigger. I will just have to come up with a creative way to finish off that edge or add small roof tiles or something else quirky. Then I had to redesign the entire front of the two houses. I don't like the Gloucester's door & windows, I want to make my house more Parisian. So I spent a happy evening on Pinterest just checking out all the various buildings in Paris. I'm building all my houses to be in Expatville, no specific location, no specific timeline. So I'm free to add some modern twists to the house instead of sticking to period details. For fun, I've ordered 3 massive oval attic windows and I'm going to change the roof into a Mansard style. Mme Hanna loves roses and pink, so I'm doing the whole building according to her taste. The fabric showrooms will have to be black/white/gray, otherwise the pink will just clash with all the fabric colours. I'm collecting rose print fabrics, furniture, paintings as well as pink items too. Here are some progress photos in my gallery: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&album=6851
  9. GL's laser cutter is broken. That's why the "Add to Cart" button isn't working. I've been waiting a few weeks to buy my Diana house. I hope they fix it soon.
  10. Gosh yes, you are very fearless. Can you share pictures of how you cut it into two sections please? I am too scared to build my Garfield because that will be one major obstacle for me.
  11. moonberry

My Mall

I need to display my collection of contemporary 1:12 scale cars (mostly 4x4s and supercars, which is all you can find in the toy stores lately), so I'm building a Mall in the Dubai style with two levels of basement parking. I want to integrate a children's action zone with bowling alley, arcade section, climbing play area and some restaurants. This is going to be a fun build with more local inspiration.
  12. moonberry

Funeral

My condolences to you and your family. It is horrific that the vultures always come out in sad times like these.
  13. And you are coping all alone with this!?! Wow, you are a superwoman. I'm sorry to hear about the storm damage, but thankful you weren't hurt.
  14. Just tried to order the Diana, but GL's laser cutter is down and they can't cut the laser kits. Oh dear! At least I managed to order all the strip diamond shingles I'll need for the Harrison and the Diana, when I get it one day. And then I ordered the Vineyard..... a bit of a consolation prize.