Tako

Gold Member
  • Last visited

Everything posted by Tako

1. Tako

Added a Picture!

I undid all the taping on my bay window after I got home from classes today and took a picture. I'm going to need to touch things up a bit in places, but I don't think it looks, too bad, does it? I'm going to have to paint the interior of the cabinet at some point too, because it just looks bad for it to be unfinished in there, even if it is just where the occupant will probably keep her potatoes and turnips Anyway here's a picture! I figure that I probably ought to see if I can find a scrapbooking paper that I like well enough during the 6 for 96 cent scrapbook paper sale that JoAnn has going on right now. I've decided that half my problem was that none of the stuff that I like even a bit, is old enough looking for me, and then I realized that I can just tea stain it, duh! So, I'm hoping to be able to spend less than $6 for the majority of what I still need to finish the cottage.
  2. Tako

Tako's Buttercup Build

The beginnings of my first doll house. pictorial details of some of my screw ups. Improvements as well, I hope!
  3. From the album: Tako's Buttercup Build

I pin hinged the doors and used wooden beads with toothpicks to fill the holes as knobs.
  4. I always end up never doing much work on Sundays, except possibly some grocery shopping, and never for any religious reasons (as people always tend to assume!). I go to classes full time Monday through Thursday, work on school work and commission work Friday and Saturday, and so Sunday is my day to rest and not do anything. However, today I actually did what I said I was going to! I glued the cabinet door front on the window seat of the bay window, and glued the window section onto the house. I'm really happy without how well the pin hinged doors work. One side is a bit sticky and could have used some extra sanding, but the other side works smoother than anything so when the unruly side gets stuck I can just help it out from the inside through the smooth-operating door I'd have pictures, but the section is currently heavily taped to the rest of the house, so maybe pictures tomorrow. Next decision: If I use one of the 50% off coupons from JoAnn, or the 40% coupon from Michaels, and pick it up in the unfinished wood section, could I possible consider splurging on stain for the window trim and shingles? I want to stain the window peices before I go about gluing them all together, and I want to assemble the windows and trim before I go about putting the egg carton stone on, so I don't have to worry about the stone accidentally getting in the way of the trim!
  5. Tako

Still making mistakes

It's looking so great too! If you're making any mistakes, you're sure covering them up well! ;)
  6. Everything's looking GREAT so far, and I LOVE the pictures with Tilly! My Buttercup feels so uncreative in comparison XD
  7. Finding time between school and everything else in my life to actually work on my poor neglected Buttercup is just getting harder as end of semester stress piles on, and I have to start wondering (read as stressing!) about all the finer details of moving entirely across the country. I don't even know if I've gotten in to the University I'm trying to transfer to or not, and won't until May! I've also had to face that I absolutely cannot spend anything on the cottage until after I find a job (which seems to be impossible ;) ) and until after I'm certain I have enough put aside for the move. I have a $20 bill in my wallet right now and that's pretty much my spending money until I find a job, which could be quite a while. Not being able to spend got me to be a bit creative when working on the bay window. I have the pieces primed and sanded and hanging out on my desk for a couple of weeks now, and I've been trying to figure out what color I was going to paint the window seat cabinet pieces (I ended up going with a dark chocolate brown). I decided to pin hinge the doors on the window seat the cottage inhabitant could have some extra storage. I needed handles on the doors though, so I could open them and decided that I wanted large round knobs rather than messing with anything else. I didn't have any small wooden spheres, but I did have wooden beads. What, however, to do about the holes? Stuff them with wooden toothpicks of course. They acted as nice handles while I was painting too. Snipped one side close, painted, and then snipped the other side close and wood glued them to the doors. Also, I don't have enough flat headed sewing pins to go hiding them all away in my doors, so I used jewelry head pins and it turned out really well. I even managed to not stab myself while making the holes to set them in Now the bay window is all glued together and taped to dry, all except for the piece with the doors in it. I'll probably glue that on, and glue it in to the house tomorrow (or not, I always say I'll do something on Sunday, and never do...).
  8. Our Michaels hasn't carried minis in many years either. Paint, beads, scrap booking paper and supplies, raw wood molding and strips, floral supplies and all that sort of thing are still useful though! Also, during the holidays they have all the stuff that go with the various villages (not just Christmas, but Halloween and such too!) that are always fun to look at.
  9. Saving for my move in August won out over buying something for the Buttercup I'm working on. It's no where near ready to being furnished, and the wishing well I was going to get, won't have a yard to sit in for months still, so I let it go. The smaller items didn't seem worth using the 50% off on anyway, because it just gets eaten right back up by shipping.
  10. my kind of site! plenty of useful things, plus some stuff that's just fun to look at!