Tako

Gold Member
  • Last visited

Everything posted by Tako

1. Yay! Another one on the forum from the West coast/California! Welcome from a fellow first time doll house builder!
  2. Haven't had time to work on the cottage, but I did snap some quick pictures of what I have managed and throw them up in a gallery today!
  3. Tako

Updates

I glued the front of the house on the other day, but haven't done any more work on it. I've been under the weather with my health issues plus what I suspect might be a flu bug. However, I did get around to taking some pictures of the things that have gone wrong, how I've mended them, and of the house in general, and they're all hanging out in my Buttercup Build Gallery!
  4. Tako

roofless buttercup

From the album: Tako's Buttercup Build

A shot of the buttercup, still roofless and with no bay window yet.
  5. Tako

inside the buttercup

From the album: Tako's Buttercup Build

An inside shot, just because.
  6. From the album: Tako's Buttercup Build

I'm pretty happy with how even I managed to cut the edges. Considering I used a utility knife with a really dull blade to do the job!
  7. From the album: Tako's Buttercup Build

So, I recut the hole in the right place!
  8. From the album: Tako's Buttercup Build

So, I cut my perfect little second floor access hole, in the wrong place. Thank goodness I kept the peice I cut out of it. I glued it back in. Good thing I'm planning to do wood floors and cover the ceilings.
  9. From the album: Tako's Buttercup Build

I'm putting a chimney up the inside of that wall for the woodburning stove to connect into and for a small fireplace on the second floor. It's always seemed silly to me to have a chimney pot on the roof, and no chimney or anything on the inside. Soooo, I stuck the windows back in and glued them well just to be sure to have a solid surface to work all that mess on.
  10. Tako

Still making mistakes

Basically so far I figured out that if you're as accident/mix-up prone as I am, the dry fit process is probably a very good idea. It was something that I didn't really do. I just made sure the tabs and slots for each wall would line up as I was gluing. I think for my next house I will be dry fitting and then labeling all my bits and pieces with a pencil on the side that is to face out, and which side should be the left and right and such, so I can keep myself straight while gluing!
  11. I've been arguing with my Buttercup and my own idiocy for the past 3 days. Lots of gluing things, taking them apart, and then gluing them back together correctly (and still messing -that- up) has been involved. :o It's in my blog if you reeeeally want the details.
  12. Sooo, even with all my care yesterday because of my previous mistakes, I still made more of them. Not too terribly huge, but tabs ended up in the wrong places. I ended up with slots that had no tabs to fill them and tabs that had no slots to fit into. House fit together just fine, but now I have tabs to whittle and sand off and slots to fill and sand. I could have fixed it, but I was NOT taking the blasted thing apart for a second time, and gluing it together for a third. So much for getting this blasted house put together and mostly finished before my break from school was over! :wub: Possibly will edit this post with some pictures this evening, though I'm not sure -why-
  13. So, I was super excited yesterday to have my main structure glued together and drying. Completely ecstatic in fact. With the same amount of enthusiasm I got ready to assemble the front of the house today. I turned the house right side up set it on it base and was please to find that, other than it rocking a touch on its base (something easily fixed by dampening and weighting the wood while it dries to undo the warping of the floor piece) that it seemed to be sturdily holding together. I soon began to be very, very displeased that I did such a sturdy job of gluing because, the longer I looked at it, the more I realized that something was off...a couple somethings in fact. That hole I had so carefully measured and meticulously cut for the ladder to the second floor? I somehow put it in the wrong place. That apprehension I had felt the entire time I was cutting it was because I was being incredibly stupid and cutting it along the open edge of the second floor piece, not the back edge/the edge on the same side as the door. The good news there is that I kept the piece I cut out, and that I was planning on covering the floor and the ceiling anyway. It was really just a matter of gluing the cut out rectangle back in. I'll have to fill in and sand a little bit and just cover it up. Second thing...that lovely opening for the bay window that is supposed to be on the left as you're looking at the open back, and that I very much intended to be on the left as I was assembling it. Well, it somehow ended up on the right... So, I spent the morning trying to get my house apart, snapping that little bit under the bay window, cutting and sanding away dried wood glue, fixing that little bit under the bay window, patching my hole in the second floor, remeasuring and recutting a hole in the second floor (very carefully place this time!!!!) and regluing the house. Maybe if the glue has dried enough this evening and I feel up to it I'll attempt assembly of the front of the cottage. I guess it's a good thing that this project was planned as something that would be covered up and not really be changed ever again to begin with...because at the rate I'm messing things up, it won't ever be able to be anything else...