Tako

Gold Member
  • Last visited

Everything posted by Tako

1. Tako

Spring ahead

What!? That's kind of ridiculous. I really think the number of people who knows that might be limited to people who observe Lent (makes sense, if you don't observe Lent, it wouldn't effect you, so why would you hear?) and the smaller numbers who have been told because out here Spring break starts on the 17th and we're all talking about how it starts on St. Paddy's day! I never would have known if I hadn't seen this. I think this is probably going to result in two St. Patrick's day's this year, one on Saturday for the people who saw the need to change it, and one when it's supposed to be, celebrated by everyone who didn't get the news!
  2. Don't know if it's a weird place necessarily, but certainly an expensive one. I got the inspiration for my Fairytale/Storybook Buttercup from a very pricey little resin Asian ball-jointed art doll. She's so cute that she cried out for her own little place. I haven't ordered her yet, because I'm still saving. The cottage is now my way of keeping myself focused and saving up for the little doll. The fact that I'm trying to do it on such a tight budget in order to keep saving for the doll is forcing me to think very creatively about materials.
  3. I'm good at doing that for floor plan stuff, and sketching out web layouts and whatnot. However, when it comes to trying to think in a more 3D fashion from a 2D layout, I fail miserably. My brain goes "so...would the sink still fit under the stairs? How the %#$% am I supposed to know!? I can just see that all the furniture will fit on the floor and won't block the windows!" :wub:
  4. Yeah, Tudor style is a VERY loosely used term here. Like the house down the street from me gets to be called a Tudor just because it's got high roof angles and dark wood trim. Definitely daydream Tudor, or a reclaimed/updated Tudor. Thanks for the link!! I think I'm just gonna have to throw some paper-cube "furniture" in the dimensions of what I'm looking into purchasing into a taped fit of the house and just mess around and see what works.
  5. Glen! That's actually a GREAT idea. I didn't even think of that. Now the right side of the house is a viable option again! I was worried about a gaping hole in/near the sitting area upstairs near the fireplace and my far-too-logical brain was thinking about what a mini hazard that would be... Except...now there's even more places for me to consider! *dizzy*
  6. Well, in theory that back wall isn't missing...that's how I's always thought about them anyway. I mean, it's always seemed odd to me to just assume that the inhabitants of these little houses are just perfectly okay with their walls being missing! I've kind of thought about the missing walls, ever since I was really little, like two way mirrors, we can see in, but the little house dwellers aren't aware that their wee walls are missing. A bit odd of me probably , but oh well.
  7. Interesting ideas. I know I wouldn't want to go out in the snow to get to bed though, so I've always thought the outside stairs were a rotten idea, covered or no they still couldn't be as warm as the hosue! Also, I think the ladder itself would be a cute photo op, but I'm not sure I'd trust the doll (they're quite pricey little darlings) to a rope ladder! Thanks for all the ideas though, shooting things out there is helping me think about it a lot more technically!
  8. I actually thought about in the middle, but half the reason I'm making the house is as a prop/environment for photographing a tiny resin doll. A ladder in the middle of the room would be an obstruction as far as photography goes, and a sometimes there, sometimes not ladder would annoy me for congruency sake. I'm so picky!
  9. Since I have such a defined character going to live in my cottage (a buttercup), I have all the little details about living in it well thought out. There has to be a way to get to the second floor! Tiny cottages way back when (I'm thinking kind of Tudor era, but not worrying too much about being extremely accurate) had a tendency to just have a ladder up to the second floor/loft, rather than a staircase, and the buttercup is so small I wouldn't want to take up precious room with a staircase anyway. However, here is my dilemma. WHERE should I cut the hole for the ladder!? That and how large do you all think would be a feasibly large square/rectangular opening for a ladder hole? Also, for a bit of my theorized room layout that I really don't want to have to change: All sides listed as facing the opening in the back. Lower floor: Left side= kitchen table and chairs, and cabinet or set of shelves of some sort. Right side=kitchen: wood stove, dry sink, and possibly a counter. Top floor: Bed centered in dormer-type thing, treasure chest type trunk at foot of bed, left side=vanity/washstand. Right side=fireplace on center of right wall (I'm moving the chimney to the right side of the house), possibly a bookshelf, and a chair or two. So where the heck would I put the ladder hole!? So far it seems the most logical to put the hole somewhere on the left side, but I don't know if the ladder would interfere too much with the window seat, or not...
  10. My first introduction to minis was in the form of all the playscale minis I got as hand me downs from the neighbor across the street, in the bookshelf turned dollhouse made by her father. I had tons of fun making little things for that house all through my childhood, until I too passed it on to a little girl down the street to have her own fun with.
  11. It must be. I can't say anything for central or southern California, but in Northern California it's pretty much the same. You only find a bit, sometimes, in railroad sections of mishmash hobby shops (you know...everything from art supplies to cheap airsoft guns to rc stuff.)
  12. If you go that route (It works really well, when I was younger I'd save my wrapping paper from birthdays and christmas and repaper my Barbie house walls!) use the permanent sort, not the washable kind made for kids crafts. The adhesive in the washable sort dries out to the point of things just falling off with no provocation. The permanent sort stays until you try to peel something up, and then will usually come away quite cleanly on it's own or with a bit of water. Also, be careful for lumps of glue.
  13. Until relatively recently, it wasn't really for everyone. In order to have an account, when it first started, you had to have a college issued email address (like blahlahblah@ucd.edu). It was originally started as a way to meet new people at your college with similar interests. They opened it up to non college addresses but with limited account capabilities, and now it's open to pretty much anyone.
  14. Yeah...that was my reaction...before I realized that it hurt and I had to pull it out of my foot
  15. Thanks for all the congrats! And no worries about me forgetting the eye candy because I have to keep my SO updated too! He's all the way in Georgia and almost as exited about the tiny house as I am! The larger broken single bits definitely will be useful uppitycats, however, the two or more cups of sawdust and splinters at the bottom of the bag won't be shingling my roof! My Spring Break is actually the 17th through the 22nd of March, so I only have a couple weeks to hang on. However, a super packed school schedule plus trying to find a job = health problems going haywire! All I want to do is sleep when I get home at the end of the day!
  16. Not a doll house injury (I haven't had a chance to aquire any of those yet, my first house just arrived ;)) , but the same thing happened to me when I dropped an icepick on (and thereby about 1/2 of an inch INTO) my foot. B) It's weird how puncture wounds like that have a tendency to not bleed or anything!
  17. My buttercup finally arrived!!! There was a shipping mix up with miniatures.com and they shipped it to my fiance (in Georgia), possibly because he's the one who paid? In any case, it got shipped to Georgia, fiance had to ship it California, and FedEx took their dear sweet time getting it here. This is after the first order never went through and he was waiting a week and a half for them to process an order they didn't have! ;) Also worth a " :wub: " expression, my bag of shingles was just tossed in the box, it's a good thing I think I have plenty of them, because a LOT of them are broken! Shipping issues and minor damages aside, I'M SO EXCIIIIIITED!!! (Even if it probably will be until Spring Break before I get any time to actually work on it! B) )