0 Neutral

About olivia'sdad

Profile Information

Previous Fields

• Real Name
    Michael
  • Country
    United States
  1. I'll be attending a dollhouse trade show this weekend. I guess I'll learn a lot of stuff then. See, with scale modeling, I just picked up a kit or two as a teenager and got the appropriate kinds of glue and a knife and I had at it. Over time, I learned tricks and techniques to make my models look better and better. Eventually, I became and authority on the subject and I could answer all sorts of questions about the subject. I think of this as me being 15 again. I want to pick up this as a hobby for my daughter and I have no idea where to start, what to get for the basics and so on.
  2. I want to buy a pre-fab treasure chest and stain it and put realistic looking pirate booty along with some lead crystal faceted paperweights inside for when my daughter is 5 years old, we can go on a treasure hunt and when she digs it up, she can say, "daddy! Look at what I found!" It's been a long time since I've worked with wood. I'm pretty sure it's pine or some other kind of soft wood. I should sand it with varying grits of sandpaper and then stain it or something? Should I treat the wood first before staining it? I'd also like to replace the hasp on the front of it in favor of one that can accommodate a large pirate-esque lock. It's all in my plan. I'll get a cryptic letter from a long-lost relative. Enclosed are just an old map and a key (to the lock of the chest, of course) and my daughter and I can embark on an adventure, eyepatches and all.
  3. hey neighbor! I'm just down the river from you! I mostly do science fiction models like the Enterprise from Star Trek or the X-Wing from Star Wars...
  4. Hello there. I'm Mike. I live in Maine. I'm 34 (almost 35) and have a 5 (almost 6) month old daughter, Olivia Paige and I was contemplating using some of my scale modeling skills to build her a dollhouse for when she's a couple years older. I have minimal woodworking experience but have taken a couple of classes in high school (back in 1992) that involved wood and plastic work. I look forward to picking your brains and learning what I need to to make a cool dollhouse for my baby girl. Thanks for having me!