rodentraiser

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

rodentraiser last won the day on March 10

rodentraiser had the most liked content!

1,895 Excellent

3 Followers

About rodentraiser

Profile Information

• Interests
    I like numbers and astronomy, miniatures and dollhouses, dog training, languages, music, gardening, ghost hunting, model horses, equestrian show jumping, raccoons, rats, and mice. And someday I would like to raise parakeets and guinea pigs.

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    Five or more
  • Real Name
    Kelly
  • Country
    United States

Recent Profile Visitors

9,772 profile views
  1. Since the contractor and my neighbor haven't figured out what they're going to do yet, I decided I'd just follow my original plan: live in this trailer for the next five years and save money. But I'm going to be comfortable living here. That's why I had the living room painted. Next I'm having a couple cabinets and the remaining kitchen table bench removed. That will make a practically full size kitchen in here. Then the kitchen gets painted. I know I'm wasting money if I'm going to be moving soon, but honestly, if those guys get a shed done over by December, I'll be really surprised. So right now I'm not counting them to actually do it. I still think a 40 to 42 foot trailer with a couple slideouts will be just fine for me. That can give me as much as 400sqft and as long as it has room for my sofa, my computer desk, my bookcases, and my dollhouse, that's all the room I need.
  2. I still haven't gotten the extra soil and I still haven't done anything with the iris bulbs. Twas the beginning of the month and that meant two trips to the grocery store and a trip to the laundromat. Then I called the painters to paint my 7' x 8' living room. It used to have stark white wainscoting on the bottom and an ugly blue gray on the upper walls. When the sun didn't shine, it was like living in a cave. So now the wainscoting is a dark moss green and the upper walls are the same cream color that's in the bedroom. It's a little yellower than a regular cream, sort of a rich, butter cream color. It looks marvelous. The painters also hauled the old canopy out into the yard where I guess I'm starting another junk pile. Meantime, I started to mend net fences again. This time I piled up four cinder block, stuck a dowel in each opening, and then filled them with sand. That's what's going in the corner to hold the ropes I attach the netting to. Last time I had the dowels in a pot with potting soil and they kept pulling themselves out. It looks like this is going to work because we had high wind today and everything held. Only one more net fence to put up. But this hauling a month's worth of laundry, loading and unloading sacks of birdseed, moving furniture in and out of the living room, stacking cinder blocks and then lifting 50lb bags of sand to pour down them has made my back start screaming. So I"m taking the next couple of days off before I get 20 more bags of soil and THEN I will finally get to the irises. Of course, after that comes weeding and getting my rock garden beds into shape to plant next month. This may all help me lose weight, but I bet I walk hunched over for the rest of my life! LOL Holly, you take care of yourself, hear?!?
  3. Thank you, but those aren't the patterns I'm looking for.
  4. Carmen, I've been drooling for those kits for decades. The company has been out of business for about that long and whenever I see something they made on eBay, it goes for way more than I can afford. I wish I had bought them in the 80s. I still have the paper cutouts of their kitchen cabinets, sink, stove, and fridge that you use to make sure everything fits in your kitchen so you could buy the correct cabinets. I'm not giving those up yet! LOL Meantime, I'm also still looking for two patterns of wallpaper from BH. I'm not sure if they're from the same company.
  5. Would you guys believe it? I just now saw the like buttons. How long have we had those? I think I hear my keeper calling me... Holly, all I got to say is: My sorry a** isn't going to be alone in this world without you. Sorry, but you're gonna be around for a long time yet. LOL
  6. I think the tortoiseshell, like Shadow, was already previously owned by someone living up here. Shadow just likes my bed better, I guess. My one fear is the owners will move away and take him with and I won't know. Thank you for loaning Russ, but I don't think anything can beef up these awnings. This time it was mainly my fault because I broke a strut setting it up last spring. Although I had the canvas on top slit every which way (should have just taken it off) to let the rain through (the broken strut caused the rain to pool rather than to just slide off the top), in just one spot that wet, heavy snow just collapsed that section of the canopy again. You think I'd learn. What I need is a porch roof or something. I'll be getting another canopy in April. Now here is something I don't know if it's going to happen. My neighbor came over to help me move some furniture and then later, when I was talking about getting a better trailer, he told me that he and my contractor may contribute $10,000 each and try to build me something like a converted shed to live in. It would certainly be nice to not live in a trailer, but I have some doubts. First, I'm not sure I want to owe another $20,000 and I don't think they can build anything for less than $50,000 anyway, and I sure don't want to owe that. Secondly, I don't want to seem ungrateful, but this would be the last place I'd be living in for the rest of my life, so it's got to be something I want to live in. No tiny home of 200sqft. Plus I want the kitchen to be arranged a certain way and I want a bathtub. Also, the county says anything over 200sqft needs a permit. These guys are talking about not getting permits and I don't want to be caught out later on with having to have the place inspected and brought up to code. And to make more room, the neighbor said something about getting a two story structure and finishing off the upstairs. People, I'm closer to 70 and going up and down stairs now is a pain. If I had a finished bedroom upstairs, that would also mean I'd have to have a full bath upstairs too and that means a half bath downstairs. That is going to cost a mint of money. Then there's the time frame. My contractor never even got to my yard last year. How does he think he's going to be building a small house? I might be dead and burned before it's finished. And I don't want something half finished. I've seen some really beautiful, beautiful trailers that I could buy and the things only have to last about 30 years, which they will if I can get a top over one. So all that means that while I may put up a canopy this year, IF the little house gets built, it might have a porch and then I won't have to worry about one next year. So the new canopy can fall to pieces if it wants to. Of course, next year I plan to be a little smarter and take the top off BEFORE it snows! Oh, by the way, that good attitude (thank you for saying that) is only when I type on here. That's when I've finally calmed down enough to see the humor in everything. But when things are happening...good is probably the last word you'd use to describe my attitude. I am a first class complainer and I've learned a lot of naughty words over my lifetime. I even use them sometimes. LOL
  7. Oh, yeah. I thought I should add. Shadow the cat has come in to sleep on my bed every night for the last four months now. And I found out she's not a she. She's a he. It's a good thing I picked a gender neutral name. LOL The other cat, the long haired tortoiseshell, used to come around every morning to get fed but I haven't seen her in a month or more. I hope she's OK. She usually doesn't show up in rain or snow and all we've had is one of the other, but we have had some clear days and she's still been AWOL. I hope she's OK. Meanwhile Shadow turned two on January first (totally arbitrary day) and is HUGE now. He looks like a black panther roaming around my yard. I don't think the hawks are going to get this one. He's snoozing on my bed now.
  8. I am slowly getting things done. I finally opened the bags of dirt that I had lying by the driveway and dumped them. I've been decorating the side of the driveway by first dumping dirt there, spreading it out, then spreading bark over it to keep the weeds down, then planting. The first section has been done and now I'm doing the second section. So now the dirt is out there and then it snowed. The snow is finally gone and now it's raining. And now I realize I need more dirt. I can't get that until next month. Meantime I thought I could start weeding my little rock garden beds but before I could do that, a windstorm blew my net fencing all to H E double hockey sticks. Then the snow caused my canopy to completely collapse again. So now I have to drag out the canopy to get hauled away and then I get to work on the garden beds and then I get to put the fence up. All before I can get to the weeding. Which should be done before next month before I get more dirt. And that's sort of a priority because I have 40 iris bulbs that should have been planted there last fall but will go in as soon as I can get around to it. I'm tired of gardening and I haven't even started yet!
  9. Are they in the box? Because I never opened the box. If they're in there, I'll send them to Ronny.
  10. I am not a do-it-yourselfer. So while this might be easy to do with trim, this is the direction I'd probably go. I will eventually need to make small, high fireplaces for a new house I may be working on this summer, sort of like those fireplaces you see in French dollhouses. So I thought this might work. Take a single French door minus the mullions. Measure down from the top maybe 5" or however tall you want your fireplace to be. Mark the lengths and then just cut straight across. Now you have a small fireplace with a mantle and an interior from the top of the door. And I'm sure someone here will figure out a great use for the bottom half of the door. From this: To this:
  11. Well, Imma be the grinch here. Our low tonight is supposed to be 39°. Our HIGH on Friday will be 24° with lows in the teens. And possible snow. We have FIVE - count 'em - five weather warnings up right now: wind, flooding, slide possibility, gale warning, and small craft advisory. Because of the freezing nighttime temps, I'll need to go outside and turn off the water for 9 nights in a row and for 3 days I won't even be able to turn it on again in case my outside spigots freeze with the water inside them. The only thing I'm happy about is if the power goes out, I don't have to worry about losing any food, since it'll be colder in my trailer than it will be inside the freezer. Holly, gimme that 80°. I'll take it and no one has to apologize for it. And y'all remember I said that when I start to complain about the heat this summer. LOL
  12. The real house looks like the Greenleaf Washington.
  13. That's the tower it came with. It's supposed to be a modern house. You know, I don't even remember if I have this house any longer. But when I bought it, I was living in my trailer here and I know it's not in my shed and the only one I remember selling was the Hofco Americana. I wonder if it's in my storage locker. Maybe I did sell it. You know you have too many houses when you can't even remember buying one and don't remember if you still have it. Of course, I am getting to be an old fart...memory is supposed to be the first thing that goes. LOL
  14. I think you may be out of luck on this one. Afton has been out of business for decades and if anyone else has one of their houses, I doubt they'd know what it was. You may be able to reproduce some of the parts but maybe for the trim, you might consider using another kind. There's tons of trim on the market today.
  15. Dang, Matt, I'd grab that first house just for the windows alone. They're worth more than the house is. I'm guessing you could put the windows on eBay and get at least $20 a window. By the way, that house is built from a plan. Without my catalogs I can't remember the name, but it's nice to finally see the inside of that house. Edit: what am I saying. I'd buy those windows!