4 Followers

About rodentraiser

Contact Methods

• ICQ 0
  • Yahoo rodentraiser@yahoo.com

Profile Information

• Gender Female
  • Location Bremerton, WA
  • Interests I like numbers and astronomy, miniatures and dollhouses, dog training, languages, music, gardening, ghost hunting, model horses, equestrian show jumping, raccoons, rats, and mice. And someday I would like to raise parakeets and guinea pigs.

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience Five or more
  • Dollhouse Preference The Traditional Greenleaf
  • Online Community Building Projects No
  • Digital Camera Yes
  • Real Name Kelly
  • Country United States

Recent Profile Visitors

8785 profile views
  1. What are you up to today? This week?

I want to go to Key West. After the rainstorms we had at Christmas, we then got SNOW about 2 weeks ago! I got about an inch the first night, then 5 inches a couple days later, then another couple of inches the next day. Then it started to rain (got rid of the snow all right) and it's been raining non-stop since then. All our roads are flooded. It's been so much fun. Not. I had put out 4 plastic buckets (the humanure thing is over - poop in sawdust is going out with the trash now) and they been out there for about a week and a half. This morning I went to rinse them out (how silly) and they each had 4 GALLONS OF WATER IN THEM! They were rinsed. No problem.  I'm going to get a 4-sided screen and next time it's pouring like this, I'm going to go out and take a shower and wash my hair. Honestly, it can't be any colder than just going to get water and getting soaked doing that. I was out for 15 minutes today and my hair looks like I just washed it.  I'm getting a little tired of rain. And the trailer is leaking, but I'll admit, with the rain we've gotten, the Ark would have leaked.  
  2. What are you up to today? This week?

Hey guys, I'd post more often but nothing happens. Same old, same old. The weather is a good topic. We've had rain like you wouldn't believe. About a week ago we had a storm that dropped something like 5" of rain on us in about 2 days. Naturally, I was out in the middle of it and while there weren't too many slides, there was a ton of water over the road. I have one headlight and that makes it hard to drive in the rain. I'm sure glad the contractor insisted on putting in a driveway for me. Otherwise I'd be up to my door handles in mud. Today is pretty nice and warm again (warm being about 50°). But by Monday a cold snap is supposed to come in and wow! is it gonna be fun. Highs in the mid 20s, lows in the low 20s. And snow. The original forecast was for 16" of snow! But it looks like 6" to 7" is more likely. And sure, why not? I live up there now.  The first mouse is gone. He fell into a 5 gallon bucket and I dumped him far, far away. The trailer leaks, however, so the second mouse fell into a bucket and drowned in the water (I would have saved him if I'd known). The third mouse is still on the loose. I'd buy a Hav-a-Hart trap but I'm just stretching out money right now. In December it was clothes and Comcast, this month it's car insurance and the garbage bill. Always something. Meantime I'm trying to coax this mouse into the bucket like the last one. But not to deliberately drown him. I consider wild mice vermin, but I can't do that. My lot was one of about 8 (or 10) that was for sale from the same owner. Now the contractor has bought all the lots. He says he's going to run water and electric to each of them, put in septic, and then put houses on all of them. I don't know, that sounds like it's going to be in the millions of dollars. But he's starting with electric. It's one transformer to every two lots and my price for a transformer would be $5000. I'd get back $2500 of it when that other lot sold. But the contractor is saying if he puts electric on all the lots, he'll only charge me $2500 (and whatever it costs to run wires to a meter) and even better, there's a program that I might qualify for that will pay for most of the cost of installation. Best of all, he's telling me this might be done this summer. We'll see. This is the guy that took a year to mow the weeds on my lot. But it's something to look forward to - imagine, electric in the trailer! I might be able to start a mini mini-project.   So that's about all the news. I'll show up again to let everyone know what's going on.
  3. What are you up to today? This week?

I have mice and it's NOT a good thing. I went shopping with Lisa on Monday and got some new shoes. Night before last, I was making macaroni and cheese and spilled the macaroni all over the floor. Naturally, this is when I discover I have no dustpan. So I just swept it all up in a corner.  Yesterday I put on the shoes and thought I had a rock in one of them. I shook it out and it was a macaroni noodle. Oh, okay. This morning I shook out the shoe again. Nothing. But when I turned the other shoe upside down, ALL the macaroni I'd swept up came cascading out. Some mouse thinks my new shoes are a nice place to store his pile of macaroni. Looks like a cat is in order. And yes, I've been too lazy to pick it up. But in my defense, I've been driving all over. In less than two weeks, I've been to two libraries (one of them three times), to two Walmarts, to the doctor's twice, the grocery stores several times and did a large shopping yesterday, picked up my prescriptions, had my car washed, been at the bank, the Social Security office, and then Social Services twice, dropped off a payment at the optometrist, did laundry at the laundromat, and stopped at my storage locker, the Hallmark store, and various other places. Since I live so far out, I try to do all the trips together. I sometimes leave early in the morning and don't get back till evening. I ordered two large water containers from Walmart and they arrived two days ago. Those have been sitting outside the trailer until last night. I finally came home just before it got dark and filled up and carried back to the trailer 7 gallons of water.  It's not the number of places I go. It's just that it takes forever to get anywhere in the traffic.And I'm not even Christmas shopping this year! I'm just telling people who ask that I'm on the "Christmas-once-every-five-years" plan and that this ain't the fifth year.     
  4. Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

I don't know much about the company, but Afton did make quite a few nice dollhouses. Their roofs (rooves?) seemed to be very steep and high - that's one way I ID them, Older catalogs still have pictures of Afton houses and I have one catalog from The Dollhouse Factory that listed their houses. 
  5. What are you up to today? This week?

Congrats, Jackie!!!!    We had some snow here about 5 or 6 nights ago. It was about half an inch and gave me a heart attack when I saw it, but it all melted by about 2pm. Sure was pretty while it lasted, though. It's been really warm. I made a grocery list for foods I could put in the cooler. Now I have to change it because the ice in the cooler is melting too fast.
  6. What are you up to today? This week?

Once I have electricity, I should have heat and a fridge. Meantime, I just have to depend on the cooler. We had a heck of a windstorm last night. One blast came through so hard the trailer rocked and it really roared. I swear I thought we had a landslide somewhere near, but it was just wind.Now we're looking at cold. Brrrr.....
  7. What are you up to today? This week?

I know it's been a while, but all of a sudden I have to remember my passwords when I'm on the library computer and it takes forever to reset them. And then when I do, I forget what I reset them to.  Holly, the man who sold me the trailer sold it with two full propane tanks and a new 12 volt battery. One of the propane tanks is hooked up to the stove and oven, and the other is a spare. I bought one of my own, so when it went out, I switched to the spare and I'm getting my empty one filled today. Using a Mr. Buddy heater 3 to 4 hours a day will have a tank last about 3 1//2 weeks. Although, we have some really gnarly cold weather coming up. It's supposed to get up to 37 for a high and as low as 25 for a low in the next couple of days. If it rains, we'll have snow. Funny, I'm not looking forward to snow like I used to. LOL Anyway, the fridge doesn't run by propane and the heater in the camper needs an electric ignition that would come from a generator. So I just use the Mr. Buddy heater and I'm good. I keep a cooler outside and in this weather, a bag of ice will last over a week. I don't run the heat at night, but I'm plenty warm. I have a light blanket under a sleeping bag and then a couple of blankets on top of the sleeping bag. Last night it was 40 degrees and I slept with the window open above my bed. I'm so comfortable in the mornings that sometimes I don't want to get out of bed. Sometimes I don't. But because it's so cold, my nose runs all the time. I put a small garbage pail at the foot of the bed so I could throw away kleenexes without getting up. One day I threw a kleenex into the heater while it was on. That was exciting. I can connect my hose to a spigot, but the water pressure is so high that when I turn the water on, it sprays from everywhere. Also, if I leave the hose connected, the water stays in the spigot even if it's turned off and I don't want the water freezing in the spigot. When the hose is taken off and the water is turned off, the water drops back into the pipe below ground which is below the freeze level, so the water won't freeze then. I just have to haul water every other day for drinking and washing. When I can afford it, I'm going to buy 2 5-gallon containers for drinking water.  There's no septic system to dump anything in. Lisa (Lisa_F here) came up one day and brought me some groceries and a plastic toilet seat to put on a 5-gallon bucket. I don't have sawdust and no access to any, so she also brought up a HUGE compressed bag of pine shavings from a pet store. I go in the bucket and then throw in a couple of handfuls of pine shavings. There's no smell once I do that. In a couple of weeks, I'll start humanure composting. I'll start by digging a small hole in the ground, throwing in some straw, then I'll toss my buckets, and then throw some more straw over that. I just need to find a bale of straw is all. I'll also need to find 4 pallets to stand up on end to put around the compost. Meantime, the buckets can stay outside with their lids on them and like I said, there's no smell. Well, better than an outhouse.   The only thing that bugs me is there isn't  much to do. I'm sure that once summer comes along, I'll have plenty I can do, plus I'll have the trailer and the terracing paid off and I'll have a little extra money to buy plants and stuff. I was hoping I'd have electricity by next winter, but I have a feeling it's going to be another 18 months before I see that. Once I have electricity, I could live in that trailer forever. Of course, I still won't have a computer, unless I want to get DISH. So all I do is eat, sleep, and read, and I'm running out of books. I can read about 300 to 400 pages a day and the library here really doesn't have a big selection. I don't know what I'm going to do over Thanksgiving when the library is closed for 4 days. So I'm fine and all, just bored. Lisa has actually convinced me to get a kindle and as soon as I can afford it, I will.  I use camping lights for light at night. I can use the lights in the camper and I do use the one over the stove all the time, but I don't want to run the battery down. I don't have jumper cables yet and I'd need to jump start that battery and charge it  from my car battery when it finally runs down. I tried the oil lamps. Either they're cheap or they're too small. I turn the wick up an inch and I get lots of light - for about 30 seconds. Then it drops down to the light of a tea candle and I have to turn the wick up again. I can go through a wick in about 5 hours and still not have enough light to read by, so I just light the lantern to have a flickering flame now. The biggest expense (and I knew it would be) is batteries. The camp light I have for reading is nice and bright, but that only lasts for about 12 hours. So I'm changing batteries practically every 3 days. I'm thinking of getting a propane lantern. I'm not sure how I'd get one to work by the bed, though, since that's where I read all the time. Anyway, that's where things stand now. I'll check back occasionally and let you guys know how things are going. Right now I'm cold, but happy (because this library is freezing!). Today I have to go drop off the modem, fill the propane tank that ran out, and do some grocery shopping. I also need to stop at the main library to drop off books and look for more. So off I go!
  8. What are you up to today? This week?

You guys are wonderful! Thank you all so much for your support! The most wonderful thing is that even if you think I'm crazy, you're not saying it. Jodi, I'm going to pass on the generator for now (tell Russ thank you and thank your for your offer). For one thing, I may not need it (I'll explain in a minute). For another, I'm worried that the noise might bother the neighbors. I have neighbors catty corner to me whose property runs right along the back of my lot. When the contractor brought the water in, he had to access the original connection and when he did that, he opened up trees that leaves me in plain sight of the back of their house when I go to get water. I'm thinking of planting a rhododendron plant there for long term and a 6ft fence panel for short term. The thing is, I can live on my land only as long as any neighbors don't make a complaint. So I'm trying to be under the radar as much as I can (while having a mailbox and garbage pickup LOL Oh, the mailbox is finally up - WOOHOO!). So any excess noise at all is something I need to be careful of. Now as to why I may not need it: the trailer has a battery that is apparently powering the lights right now. It might also be the "electric ignition" for the heat. I'm meeting the owner up at the lot today at 4pm so he can explain how everything in the trailer works. If it has a battery, then maybe I can jump it with my car battery and recharge it every time it gets low. If getting heat in the trailer isn't an option that way, tomorrow I'll go buy a Mr. Buddy heater for short term. I'll need something, though. I opened the trailer door yesterday to start moving things in and it was colder than a witch's...OK, it was cold. On the plus side, I think instead of giving away my eggs and refrigerated stuff, I'll just bring it all along and put them in the fridge. Working or not, in the fridge they should be just fine in these temps. LOL I can also pick up a couple of oil lamps fairly cheap at the local hardware store and I'd almost rather do that than depend on trailer lighting. And I think I'll save towards that mini wood burning stove, too. But no Go Fund Mes! Susie, I really, really, really appreciate the thought, but I chose this. I could have bought a trailer home in a park somewhere and been all settled by now, but I chose to go this route instead. While I may be slightly and temporarily broke (and/or insane), in about 4 to 5 months time I will be saving about $1000 a month. That's way more than most people will ever be able to save. I also have it lots better than many other people. I have a place to sleep, a running vehicle, and SSDI coming in every month. Plus because I'm now living on my land, it's not considered an "asset" anymore and that means I qualify for a program that pays my Medicare premiums, plus while I'm paying back the contractor and paying for the trailer, my food stamp amount went way up. I have no idea what one has to do with the other, but I'll take what I can get. So that means anyone here who is a taxpayer is already contributing to me and I thank you for it. I honestly think a Go Fund Me wouldn't be fair to those of us here who may need the money just as much as I do, but aren't as well known because they don't have the big mouth I do and post all the time. So onto the news: there definitely is water! Last week I hauled up two bags of river rocks to lay around the base of each water spigot. When I was done pouring them out, I looked around and said, "Why?" Because there are millions of rocks all over the cleared area (guess how I'm gonna get exercise and lose weight?). I must have been blind to have missed them. I also laid the river rocks so the water wouldn't make a hole in the ground as it came out. Well, when I lifted the faucet, the water came out as if out of a fire hose, missed the rocks and made a hole in the ground in front of where I poured them. Somewhere, someone up there in the universe is laughing his head off. This is supposed to be my last day here. I'm supposed to be cleaning this room. But the room inspection is tomorrow and today I have to go see the contractor about how to work things in the trailer. I still have my kitchen hutch and chopping block here, but I won't be able to load them in the car because on the way home last night, I saw the most beautiful wood pallet ever at the storage center. The owner told me I could have it, so into the car it went and I'll drop it off to make a bottom step for the trailer. When I get six of them, I'll have a front porch. I also won't have time to shop for blankets or a heater. So I'm sneak staying over where I am tonight and then getting up at 6am to load the car and clear the room. I also need to do a couple loads of laundry tomorrow, at which point I'll be putting every piece of laundered clothes, blankets, etc, straight into a garbage bag to make sure no little critters come alone with me. Once the room inspection is done, I can drive down with the final load of stuff, drop off the rest of the stuff in storage (after having to take everything out of the unit and rearrange things. AGAIN!), then shop around to see what I need. I also need to see what I will be buying for food. Not having a freezer or working fridge is going to be...let's say, interesting. I may have to turn into a prepper, eating my supplies sooner rather than later. So I'll be back later this evening to let you all know how the trailer works. After that, I'll probably have to call and have the computer turned off. Susie, how are you doing with the fires down there? I heard Rancho Cucamonga was threatened by the larger fire. Oh, yeah, I wanted to add that anyone who wants to come up to see the lot is welcome! Just make sure you don't get carsick on curvy roads.
  9. What are you up to today? This week?

No heater for the trailer, Carrie. I mean it does have propane heat, but the ignition is electric. I did find gas catalytic heaters I could install, but they cost $200 and I won't have that amount of money until after winter is over. There are small, dollhouse sized wood burning fireplaces I could buy, too, but they start at about $500. SO it looks like I just grin and bear it this winter. Here's a video of what the trailer looks like on the inside with a few small exceptions. Warning: just watch the video, don't listen to it unless you want to be annoyed to death. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpkPOYT5iqc So today it's off to storage to finally put the dollhouse boxes in (damn, those things are HEAVY!), up to the lot to finish the mailbox, back home to dishes and laundry, and then tonight when I should start cleaning, I'm watching a horse show live on the computer. I left the dollhouses for last because I want them to lay flat on the floor. When I said I thought of everyone as young, I should have specified that meant everyone except me. Yesterday while putting things in storage, I smashed the little finger on my right hand. You guys should see it. From the top knuckle on to the tip of the finger, it's black and about double the size. If I post in the next couple of days, get ready for a lot of mixed up p's and o's, since I can't use the finger to even type. So I'm feeling old and useless right now.  
  10. What are you up to today? This week?

Don't anyone take this as a criticism, but when I see photos of any of you - well, let's just say I always wonder who those people are. In my mind, you all are young and not one of you is over 30. You know, I hate reality sometimes. LOL (Glad you had a good time, Jackie!)   Well, the guy who did my water has a trailer he offered to sell to me. I saw it yesterday and it's gorgeous. Small, but it doesn't leak, it's clean, and it feels like there's a lot more room than there really is. It will be hauled up to the lot on Monday and then I have three days to bring all the kitchen stuff up and then clean the kitchenette here. Today I'm cleaning out my closet and taking a much needed break right now. When I finally get the boxes out of the closet and into storage, I'll be done with the bedroom anyway. I got half a mailbox put up yesterday but didn't get the mailbox itself on the base because I forgot the screwdriver. So tomorrow I'll go up and finish that. We've had two beautiful days and now it's raining again. Sheesh. OK, back to the closet.
  11. Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

I like that she added a little laundry room under the porch.
  12. I will be leaving you guys at the end of September!

Thank you, Lisa! Rebecca, I will post updates when I can. But warning in advance - I will probably be complaining a lot this winter! Holly, if I don't have a hose on the faucets, when I turn it off, the water drops back into the pipe which is 2 ft in the ground and below the frost line. I shouldn't have any problem with freezing pipes. Just to give you guys an update, things are moving along. I now have a water meter and there is running water at my lot. I am supposed to have a small trailer on the lot soon, but I don't know when yet. Yesterday Lisa (Lisa_F), her husband, and nephew helped me move all the heavy stuff into a storage locker. Oh, my aching back and thank you, Lisa! If you see this, you're the greatest! After we got done, I walked into my room last night and looked at the floor and decided I needed to get to Walmart to purchase some foam mattress pads so I could have something to sleep on. I'm now typing this to you guys sitting on the floor with the monitor and keyboard on a large tote. Today I have a few bags of clothes and books that still need to go into totes and tomorrow I'll start taking the remaining boxes to storage. I also have a mailbox and sometime this week I need to go up to my lot and get it installed. Garbage pick up is now scheduled as well and for the first time in my life, I have to recycle. Not sure how I feel about that, but as the nice lady I talked to said when I told her I'm 62 and never recycled in my life: "Welcome to the modern world!" I forget how keeping one's self mentally young actually takes an effort sometimes. Anyway, I'll stop by a couple more times before I disconnect myself sometime on the 30th or 31st.
  13. Dollhouses on TV and Movies

Did anyone catch the first episode of Creepshow? The second part is about something creepy in a dollhouse. It might put you off getting your kids a dollhouse and certainly you will look twice at picking up any dollhouse you want to buy from Craig's List. LOL But the dollhouse in Creepshow is absolutely gorgeous. It opened on both sides and looked enormous. Creepy thing in the dollhouse and all, I'd have taken it. I saved some pics from the show:    
  14. Any Little House fans here?

Laura herself seemed to be somewhat snide about people taking handouts during the depression from what I've heard. She compIained once about getting a "begging letter" from Carrie. I guess it was because she and Almanzo basically did it all on their own and so she thought that everyone should be able to. What the Little House books left out was when they lived in Burr Oak, Iowa, and that may be because they left in the middle of the night so her Pa could avoid paying a large debt he had no money for. The books are just children's stories after all, and are located under the Fiction category in the library. I'm sure many of us wouldn't want the darker side of our lives coming out in print, either.
  15. 319.JPG

That's just lovely!