rodentraiser

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by rodentraiser

1. Hmmmm........OK, I bought this for the pantry sink:
  2. Barbara, the company that made opening scenes replica actually did make that house. I just can't remember their name right now. Probably because I am typing this to the accompaniment of a hysterical seagull screaming at my window from across the street. I'm gonna get me a slingshot......
  3. Is the plant real life sized or in miniature? How big are the eggs? How thick is the chain? I'd make a pawn shop and use the push pins to model necklaces or hats for display. I'd use the Easter egg halves (6 of them), cut a small door in all of them, turn them upside down and with a straw on the top and some legs on the bottom, I'd paint them different colors and make them into little room heaters (Maureen, these make great kivas, too). I'd use the chains on posts to make lines for where the people stand. How big is this plant again? Full size, I'd take the leaves, cut them up, put them a pot, and sell them as fake trees. Maybe I could put tiny flowers on them, turn them into mini weeping cherry trees. The pot could become an office. Wait - do I have to make a house? I'm anal, so I need a whole lot more description and rules. *sigh*
  4. OMG, maybe I should check there as well. That wallpaper looks like a BH Minis design and I do know that New Creations picked up a bunch of their patterns. If that wallpaper is self adhesive (uses water), then it probably is BH. I'm desperately looking for a couple sheets that BH used to make. I keep checking on eBay hoping it will come up one day. Zoemurr, I'm glad you found your wallpaper.
  5. Holly, it doesn't seem that small, but that's because a 6ft dollhouse isn't here yet. LISA LISA LISA! You finally made a post! Actually, I am now thinking of "laundry tubs" as just very deep sinks, and if I can get them, I'll use those for sinks.
  6. Yes, she died of an overdose three weeks after she quit writing in her diary. I was in lockup at a juvenile center and all of us kids watched that movie together one night. It surely made an impression on all of us. Andy Griffith was in it. I think you can watch the movie on Youtube, but the quality isn't very good.
  7. Oh my goodness, Holly! I don't have a house or even an apartment. I'm just renting a room in low income housing. Not counting the kitchenette and the shared bath, my room is 12 x 9 with a bed, bookcases, and a large sofa in it already. Can you imagine what's going to happen when I put a 6 ft dollhouse in here as well? It may have to live on my sofa! You should have seen the gyrations I went through to just get enough space to set my computer up. Come to that, I may have to live on the sofa! LOL
  8. I'd like to do the cottage on the newer Bewitched movie with Nicole Kidman. That kitchen..... Funny about the title to this thread - I have an old book called Go Ask Alice and on the cover it says: "You can't ask Alice anything anymore...." or something similar. For some reason I was thinking the title of this thread was for the movie of Go Ask Alice. But I guess not. I'm not a big fan of I Love Lucy, but at one point, Nutshell News did a contest of the best recreation of a TV show room. Someone recreated Lucy and Ethel? when they were supposed to be working on the candy factory line. And is it Bespaq that now has an I Love Lucy living room set?
  9. I read about that. I have a very soft spot in me for law enforcement members. I've been close to a lot of them and worked as part of their group, plus I've done some ride-alongs and seen what they have to face.
  10. OK, just to let everyone know, I'm going to do this anyway, so I don't need advice. What I'm curious about is everyone's opinions (and if your opinion is that I'm crazy, that's fine). I've decided to turn my kitchen into a giant pantry and my dining room will be a kitchen/dining room combo. Now in the new kitchen, I will have a stove, fridge, and sink (no upper cupboards). There will be a small table under the double window for informal eating - I won't have a formal dining room anymore. So the pantry is going to be a food prep area. I want a chopping block, work tables, hutches, and lots of shelves in there. I want to put all the food in there, all the dishes, the baking dishes, paper towels, and have a shelf just for folded dishtowels. The sack of potatoes may go on the floor, the bag of dog food will certainly go on the floor, flour will be in canisters...I'm sure you guys get the picture. Anyway, because it is a prep area, I want to put another sink in there under the triple window. This is a done deal - now I just have to decide between a 1920s sink and a deep sink like a small laundry tub. The question is, do you guys think it's weird to have sinks in both rooms? I'm saying it's OK, because both sinks serve a purpose. If you're doing food prep in the pantry, you want a sink close by to wash your hands so as not to track stuff across the kitchen going to the sink there. However, the actual cooking takes place in the kitchen, on the stove or in the oven, and I'm assuming a person would want a sink there too, so they don't have to hike through the pantry every time they need to wash their hands or get a glass of water. To make this even funnier, I also now have a half bath in the laundry room with a toilet and - you guessed it - another sink. And if I hadn't run out of room in there, I would have laundry tubs in there too. Ooooh.....do you guys suppose it would be weird to have both a sink and a laundry tub in the pantry? This is why Lisa gets that glazed look in her eyes every time I tell her I have an idea.
  11. Maureen, I was just kidding, I'm not really doing Minny's house. I would like to do AIbileen's kitchen one day though. The racism would bother me so bad if I lived in the South in those times. I get all snarky about people putting down the homeless as it is. I read a great book about the civil rights movement during the 50s - it's almost like a biography of Martin Luther King. It's by Ben Haas and it's called "Look Away, Look Away".
  12. Holly, my mom is in Minnesota and today I got a letter from her that said the same thing. It was 80° there and they have the AC on already. She said they never had a spring - it went from winter straight to summer.
  13. Oh, .....my. I seriously think I could live without some of those.
  14. I thought maybe a plastic floss container would work too. You know, one of the square ones that's narrower at the bottom. If y ou faced it around, it would even look like the tank top came off.
  15. I am SO looking for a more modern bathroom. I know HBS now has a modern bathroom set and I really like it, but I wish it was cheaper. Of course, when I say modern, I'm thinking anything that isn't a clawfoot tub, a pedestal sink, and a toilet with a high tank. Likewise, there is a huge gap when it comes to kitchen appliances from the 40s through the 90s. We have 1920s stove and old fashioned 1880s stove and we even have glass top stainless steel stoves. I'm looking for something in between. HBS likewise has that 50s kitchen set that comes in both red and white, but I'm not real happy with that. It's too bad Chrysnbon can't make some new molds for things like these. Plastic for the bathroom and kitchen appliances would be so neat. And with Chrysnbon, the price would be reasonable. If this guy is making a realistic toilet at a reasonable price, I really don't care if it flushes.
  16. Glen, the table you made is lovely. Have you tried making stuff like that for sale? Hmmmm.....and now that I think of it, your daughter isn't so much different than most of us. Our houses are our houses and we don't really consider them playthings. Personally, I'd take the arm off anyone who put their hands unasked into my dollhouse (when it's finished, that is). Yeah, I'm possessive. Rebecca, there's not a bat's chance I will do something like that. All my miseries and mistakes sawing? Changing my mind every week? I'd drive viewers nuts. Besides, progress is waaaaay too slow. I didn't work on the house at all between November and March and them came April and Easter. And I'm still changing my mind and remodeling! What I really need is a new mind. Set in cement. Besides, I don't have anything to video with.
  17. Glen, here's a thought: can you do a quick build of another house of your own that maybe has some of the same features? Her friends can play with that one and your daughter can keep her own for display. The new one you make will be YOUR house. And you can do what you want with it, no questions asked. By the way, I can't do a tour of my house right now, unless you want a tour of This Old House, as it's being built. The remodeling is still going on. And now I'm enlarging the laundry room! I'm only a year behind. I don't suppose you want to come to Washington state and work on my house, by any chance? Pretty please?
  18. Maureen, it's when I do Minny's house that I'll show the cream pie! I also loved Aibileen's house. It was small, but you could tell it had architectural details in it and there was even a fireplace. And her stove! That's the kind of stove I want in real life. I'm dying to have that stove. Save me, please! I have a stove I'm making for the Hofco house (which still needs a name) and I'm thinking of making it like that.
  19. Anybody seen that movie? While they didn't show much of the old houses, what they did show was awesome (in my opinion). I loved the pantry and kitchen, and that lovely entry and staircase (drool) with all the furniture on the landings in Skeeter's house and Celia Foote's kitchen was to die for. I know it looked awkward, but I just loved it. Something about the fireplace, the ceiling, and those windows just made me want to live there. Someday I'd like to make a miniature of that kitchen. sigh
  20. I don't usually, because I really don't enjoy looking at pictures on the web that much. I mean, I will if that's what's available, but I far prefer to page through my old magazines. Online or not, if I had the money, I'd have subscriptions to Cottage Living, Cottage Style, Bungalow Style, Colonial Home, Romantic Style, every magazine they make about decorating houses.
  21. Anybody remember James Burke in Connections? We need him here in this thread. I bet he could make a connection between electrical switches, math equations, cookies, and truffles.
  22. Well, how are you supposed to change your password if you can't log in? I actually changed mine this morning, and I was able to log in just fine to do it. As for the rest, I'm not worried. I just changed my phone number and haven't put the new one on any site. Besides, I don't have minutes on my phone anyway. I get so many scam emails from eBay, Paypal, and banks I don't bank at that I just ignore them all. And I never use my real name online. Plus, best of all, I have no money! Sorry, hackers!
  23. OK, so if I went to the Trading Post and posted that I'd like to do a swap for something, I think I would post pictures of what I have to swap and then list what I wanted. After that, if anyone contacted me, we could proceed by PM from there. Is that acceptable?
  24. Well, I dug out the one old one I had from 1997 and they had an annual Houses issue. It's the Summer issue. Since those are the only issues I collect, it could mean they're just special issues in addition to their monthly or bi-mo0nthly issues. I don't know. And I just looked through the Houses issue I got for 2014 and I have to say, I'm not impressed with this one. All the houses look nice on the outside, but inside they're all slick and modern. The kind that make me feel uncomfortable being in, because you feel like no one actually lives in them.